No Oppo Supporters The Melt Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That does show the benefit of having a taller forward, does it not?

At Subiaco on a dry day against a travelling Essendon team that's played 3 games in 15 days, that doesn't have a strong ruck or 2nd ruck, and with Sandilands - its worth a try.

Again, there's a decision to be made this weekend. Hawthorn don't have monster backs unless the play Schoenmakers back. Do you need the extra tall to exploit the lack of size and inexperience in defence, or do you go with a more mobile side? I would think at this stage if we lock into a 3 tall forward structure when none of the three are stars - there's always a risk of being too tall for little benefit - especially if the tall that is supposed to relieve in the ruck isn't much of a ruckman.

What do you see is the real issue?

Not a shot, genuine question.
Man just something about him, ive never been sold. I was into him for like a few rounds but I was lying to myself. I have never liked him in the saint nic role cuz hes not skillful enough and I dont think he had the personality for the stay at home role either. i feel hell do either well against poor opposition but will never do well wnough at either against your average to good defensive set ups.

They've pretty much said why. Taberner even said so himself in his interview after the Peel game on the weekend. It's because his ruckwork isn't up to AFL standard.

As to why he can't be considered just as a forward - that's something only Ross Lyon knows.
The second ruck role is a bs role theyve given him becaise he isnt up to his proper role in my opinion. have you seen him ruck. its comical. MJ does a better job.

At Subiaco on a dry day against a travelling Essendon team that's played 3 games in 15 days, that doesn't have a strong ruck or 2nd ruck, and with Sandilands - its worth a try.

Again, there's a decision to be made this weekend. Hawthorn don't have monster backs unless the play Schoenmakers back. Do you need the extra tall to exploit the lack of size and inexperience in defence, or do you go with a more mobile side? I would think at this stage if we lock into a 3 tall forward structure when none of the three are stars - there's always a risk of being too tall for little benefit - especially if the tall that is supposed to relieve in the ruck isn't much of a ruckman.

I dont agree. I think his height adds a dimension that nobody else can do unless Apeness gets on the park. I also don't really classify McCarthy or Kersten as true talls. I would think they'd be better described as mobile forwards.

As I said before, I would go with a tall (Tabs, Apeness) and one of McCarthy or Kersten for the variety

I dont agree. I think his height adds a dimension that nobody else can do unless Apeness gets on the park. I also don't really classify McCarthy or Kersten as true talls. I would think they'd be better described as mobile forwards.

As I said before, I would go with a tall (Tabs, Apeness) and one of McCarthy or Kersten for the variety
I think thats precisely what they want to do but alas Tabs cant do it in their minds

Man just something about him, ive never been sold. I was into him for like a few rounds but I was lying to myself. I have never liked him in the saint nic role cuz hes not skillful enough and I dont think he had the personality for the stay at home role either. i feel hell do either well against poor opposition but will never do well wnough at either against your average to good defensive set ups.

Mate, he is never going to be either St Nick or a Pav or a Buddy. Judging him against that standard misses the point. He is currently our best tall option and should be judged against that standard. FreoMonocle's post said it best. If you cant be with the one you love, love the one youre with

Mate, he is never going to be either St Nick or a Pav or a Buddy. Judging him against that standard misses the point. He is currently our best tall option and should be judged against that standard. FreoMonocle's post said it best. If you cant be with the one you love, love the one youre with
I was using the role more than the players. Tabs is below average at either role in my opinion and hes below below average at rucking. I want us to power tank the next to years anyway so yeah maybe we should play our unfortunate withs.

I was using the role more than the players. Tabs is below average at either role in my opinion and hes below below average at rucking. I want us to power tank the next to years anyway so yeah maybe we should play our unfortunate withs.

He might be below average but he's still been better in that role this year than the other 2 guys we've tried.

Essendon had a 7 day break before our game.

We played a forward line and we were able to take advantages of mismatches. That's the whole point.

I want us NOT to do that. I think attitude is worth more than draft positions

we got to the gf and failed with enough attitude and not enough talent my friend. heck one of that hawks teams bottom 5 is in our best 10 at the moment

I think you are wrong with that statement.

We lost the GF through a few factors.

1. Hawthorn had more experience on the ground
2. We were overawed somewhat on the day
3. We didn't take the game on well enough (see factors 1 and 2) but when we did, especially in the third we got on top
4. We got to the GF by taking games on...ie that Prelim against Sydney. I was there and while we were attacking we smashed them. When we took our foot off the pedal they got on top

We had the talent. We didn't make best use of it.

Tanking for draft picks won't fix that. I can see the point you are making but I flat disagree with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When some of you return to the keyboard...

Melt at thread worthy stuff, such as Ross Lyon stealing ice cream from babies and stuff - despicable cad and scoundrel that he is.

But for those of you wanting a bit of biffo with each other out the back of the dunny block at lunch time, take it here https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-take-it-outside-thread.1115334/

I think you are wrong with that statement.

We lost the GF through a few factors.

1. Hawthorn had more experience on the ground
2. We were overawed somewhat on the day
3. We didn't take the game on well enough (see factors 1 and 2) but when we did, especially in the third we got on top
4. We got to the GF by taking games on...ie that Prelim against Sydney. I was there and while we were attacking we smashed them. When we took our foot off the pedal they got on top

We had the talent. We didn't make best use of it.

Tanking for draft picks won't fix that. I can see the point you are making but I flat disagree with it.
Hawks were not stacked with top draft talent, there was enough, but it was more the fact of trading, identifying what was required and ensuring success.
Hale, Gunstan, Burgoyne, Lake, Gibson.
All of the above players are, or ended up being stars for the hawks, added with their quality draft picks over the years, they were a battle hardened unit.
Id rather the hawks recruiting drive, than Melbourne's, and I wont be surprised to see Clarkson turn it around faster than expected.

Yeah. He only mentioned the uncontested ones though.

Because he's full of shit.

If there was no video he'd be swearing black and blue right now that all his goals were Joe the gooses and he didn't have an opponent all game. That's what he's like.
lol all he said was that he got some uncontested footy and converted, and then you go into full foaming mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back