FTA-TV The Mole (Aust) - Season 6 (2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Application form to be part of the series The Mole is up if anyone is interested.
Loved this show when it first aired. :)

https://go.mycastingnet.com/Apply/Show/TheMole

Channel 7 will be running it again. Will be interested to know what the Culture Clash will stand for.

Saw the previews appear on 7...the advertising department should be shot.
Grant Bowlers "The Mole" actually looked/felt serious, This looks like a freaken my kitchens rule all happy dappy version.

Grant Bowlers "The Mole" actually looked/felt serious, This looks like a freaken my kitchens rule all happy dappy version.

Modern reality TV follows such a strict structure because "stripping" (airing the show 5 nights out of 7) is all the rage nowadays, whereas when The Mole was last on TV, reality TV was a once a week affair. So, to fulfil the quota of airtime, they pad 40 minutes of action across 5 hours.

I caught 10 minutes of House Rules the other night (gf is obsessed). Went something like this:

White Bogan A (interview to camera): I noticed White Bogan B had a spare trailer so I thought I'd ask him to borrow it.
White Bogan A (action shot): Hey, White Bogan B! Can I borrow your trailer to head down to the hardware store and pick up some cornice?
White Bogan C (interview to camera): White Bogan A asked White Bogan B to borrow their trailer. I couldn't believe it. It's a competition, We've gotta do everything I can to get ahead. He can't borrow it. He can get his own.
White Bogan B (action shot): Yeah mate. You can have it.
White Bogan C (interview to camera): White Bogan B is such a softie.
White Bogan B (to camera): What can you do? You gotta let someone borrow their trailer if they ask. I mean, it's a competition, but I'm not going to be that mean.
White Bogan A (interview to camera): So they let me borrow the trailer but now I've gotta hook it up to me Nissan Navara ute.
White Bogan A (action shot): Hey guys, can you help me hook the trailer up to my Nissan Navara ute?
Coming up after the break
Voiceover: Will White Bogan A get White Bogan B's trailer hooked up to his ute in time to make it to the hardware store before closing?
Previously, on House Rules
Voiceover: White Bogan A needs a trailer to collect his cornice from the hardware store. Will White Bogan B let him borrow his trailer?

Repeat.

This is what it looks like to me as well! I remember falling in love with the mole right away. Partly because I knew a lot of the local attractions (S1 was set in Tassie) but mostly for the dark more serious feel. The last series was pretty poor and I hope it can return to former glories but I feel it is going to ruin my childhood :p

The first few series were so great, was hooked on them as a kid. But I agree, no Grant Bowler = no Mole.

When this was announced I assumed they'd give it the modern (read: ******* awful) MKR/Masterchef treatment by padding it out with utter shit aimed at attracting bogan/lowest-common-denominator viewers. Is it seriously going to be crappy half-hour instalments on weeknights? **** that. Why must TV stations make you feel so stupid for watching their shows?

At times like this, I tend to go back to a well-worked approach...

Pleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuck...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've ditched the subtitle.

It appears there will be four 75-minute episodes a week but three in the first week.

I have no idea for how many weeks.
Overkill. No doubt 50% of the airtime will be promoting what is to come after the commercial break/recapping what you missed before the commercial break.

Nah, I hate stripped reality TV. It's lazy programming and just results in hours of filler per week. The US consistently proves that you can make exciting appointment reality TV with Twitter integration in one hour a week timeslots (Survivor is better than ever in its 26th season).

It's such a small part of the viewing experience, but I don't need to see some 16 year old's opinion on who The Mole is or how "hot Aiden is, hope he totes wins" incessantly dominating the bottom right corner of the screen. The whole point of the second screen is to keep the Twitter experience to the second screen.

It's a shame because the first couple of seasons of The Mole were phenomenal. But they were tightly edited, contained, single hour episodes a week.

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV The Mole (Aust) - Season 6 (2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back