Music The music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Recorded, improbably, implausibly and immaculately by the short-lived but long-legened Robert Johnson back in 1937, the year of the Geelong Football Clubs's 3rd VFL Premiership.

There's hype, and then there's recognition of of-it's-time genius. Robert Johnson was the real deal, as improbable as his story is.

The 1937 Geelong Premiership team is perhaps our least sexy Flag team, but perhaps it's just the most underappreciated.

Whatever; I have been on a massive Robert Johnson kick for the 2nd or 3rd time in my life and it has been super rewarding.

Way back when, I was getting into him and the earlier blues guys. I had already been into the Stones for a long time and of course the other blues based artists. So was lead the RJ. This was when I was just out of school and grunge was embryonic, then I expatted and missed the Seattle thing(where I was living at the time :).

Another classic blues artist you may like

Fuller was a Piedmont bluesman (in fact, local to me), with a much more lilting style than Delta blues. Inherited a lot from ragtime music. Fuller has some of the best guitar chops I've ever heard:

He's buried near this monument, down in the field just beyond the treeline.

Yeah you can hear the ragtime

Back in the day when talent made you rich and famous

Now it’s just being popular on social media
No, it's really not. That's a common misconception among those who don't listen to much new music.

Pop stars still have the same skillset they did 20, 30 years ago - and their social media presence is very tightly managed by a label PR team. At the end of the day, the song is still king - if you don't have the material, then all the flashy tiktok in the world won't help.

Artists like Charli XCX, Taylor Swift, Beyonce and Kendrick Lamar are still phenomenal performers - in exactly the same way that Madonna, Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson were at the height of their fame (with the exception being that MJ was an exceptional songwriter).

What has really changed is the demise of the songwriting band - because they are so expensive and difficult to get off the ground now, when solo artists have recording facilities at home that were only available to hardcore pros 30 years ago, and there's so much less money now in recording music than there once was.

No, it's really not. That's a common misconception among those who don't listen to much new music.

Pop stars still have the same skillset they did 20, 30 years ago - and their social media presence is very tightly managed by a label PR team. At the end of the day, the song is still king - if you don't have the material, then all the flashy tiktok in the world won't help.

Artists like Charli XCX, Taylor Swift, Beyonce and Kendrick Lamar are still phenomenal performers - in exactly the same way that Madonna, Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson were at the height of their fame (with the exception being that MJ was an exceptional songwriter).

What has really changed is the demise of the songwriting band - because they are so expensive and difficult to get off the ground now, when solo artists have recording facilities at home that were only available to hardcore pros 30 years ago, and there's so much less money now in recording music than there once was.
New artist music are absolutely trash there are some good bit and pieces out there but by large it’s all auto tuned and image marketing

Has nothing on the music in the past where talent got you a contract and a career

Look at the rap and rock genre just to show you how bad it is today , pop always going to be fine because that’s catered more towards being popular than actual talent imo…ffs Post Malone made a career out of auto tune

New artist music are absolutely trash there are some good bit and pieces out there but by large it’s all auto tuned and image marketing

Has nothing on the music in the past where talent got you a contract and a career
(Respectfully) disagree. Autotune is used, but usually as a sound engineering device of interest to create a robotic effect - not to "cure" bad singing. Otherwise, modern artists wouldn't be able to do live shows (which is where the money really is now). Modern singers can seriously sing.

You write as if old pop stars weren't image marketing, by the way - pop stars have always leant heavily on image, especially from the 80s on.

There is such a variety of new music out there that it's not that hard to find your cup'o'tea if you look.

The other thing to bear in mind, IMO, is survivorship bias. Disposable music dies out. The Billboard Year End #1 singles are interesting reading - in 1975, for example, the year of Bohemian Rhapsody, Born to Run and Kashmir, the number one song was... bloody Captain and Tenille. That's died off... thank God.

(Respectfully) disagree. Autotune is used, but usually as a sound engineering device of interest to create a robotic effect - not to "cure" bad singing. Otherwise, modern artists wouldn't be able to do live shows (which is where the money really is now). Modern singers can seriously sing.

You write as if old pop stars weren't image marketing, by the way - pop stars have always leant heavily on image, especially from the 80s on.

There is such a variety of new music out there that it's not that hard to find your cup'o'tea if you look.

The other thing to bear in mind, IMO, is survivorship bias. Disposable music dies out. The Billboard Year End #1 singles are interesting reading - in 1975, for example, the year of Bohemian Rhapsody, Born to Run and Kashmir, the number one song was... bloody Captain and Tenille. That's died off... thank God.
You’re delusional if you think Auto tuning is just limited to improving sound effect just listen to artist like Post Malone who can’t sing and relies heavily on it ..nice spin but the evidence is there

You’re delusional if you think Auto tuning is just limited to improving sound effect just listen to artist like Post Malone who can’t sing and relies heavily on it ..nice spin but the evidence is there
Usually, I said - not always. Malone is a bit of a different kettle of fish anyway as he's more rapper than singer.

Whereas you look at artists like Caroline Polachek, Beyonce etc who use it to great effect to create effects which aren't possible for the human voice to replicate.

Nearly everyone in pop music does, of course, use it to knock an occasional rough edge off a take - but that's not to say that they can't sing. It wouldn't make sense anyway - it's much, much easier to make a great singer sound great, than it is to make a shit singer sound great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Usually, I said - not always. Malone is a bit of a different kettle of fish anyway as he's more rapper than singer.

Whereas you look at artists like Caroline Polachek, Beyonce etc who use it to great effect to create effects which aren't possible for the human voice to replicate.

Nearly everyone in pop music does, of course, use it to knock an occasional rough edge off a take - but that's not to say that they can't sing. It wouldn't make sense anyway - it's much, much easier to make a great singer sound great, than it is to make a shit singer sound great.
Is he tho? A few attempts at rap doesn’t make him a rapper most of his songs have been ballads than storytelling

Look at the rap and rock genre just to show you how bad it is today , pop always going to be fine because that’s catered more towards being popular than actual talent imo…ffs Post Malone made a career out of auto tune
So many new bands make covers of classics.

Walking into a hip dress shop, singing to the cover. Shop assistants look at one another baffled that an old fart knows the words. Rarely ‘she’s cool’.
Laughing on the inside 😎

Remove this Banner Ad

Music The music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back