The mysterious behaviour of Alavi and Charter

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to the billion dollar world of AFL

Where the fix is always in

I called it a fix last week and happy to stand by my comments.

Happy for the players but this was a fix of the highest order.

Raise the bar of what comfortable satisfaction means, pay off witnesses to not appear, provide a tip off so that evidence can be destroyed...FIX.

I'd be tacking this article onto the back of the AFL tribunal report, just so it's complete for the CAS case.
Interesting - would it weigh one set of Charter statements over the other? That is before the reversal to ASADA and after to EFC/ players lawyers and the club?

And to be fair to the Essendon regulars, weighing this up against an off-hand remark to pass a name on to another governance body (the ASADA "job offer")?

Now that we know that there is no proof of TB4 use, the key outstanding questions, in my opinion, goes to the behaviour of two of the key protagonists in this case: Nima Alavi and Shane Charter.

ASADA was given power to compel people to attend interviews to support this investigation, but not to compel testimony. To the best of my knowledge, Stephen Dank (whose testimony, IMO, would be required to prove a case to comfortable satisfaction in a non-presence case), was not compelled to attend an interview.

Alavi and Charter attended interviews and seemed to have told a very detailed story about how Dank acquired TB4 and used it to dupe the players. Charter in particular has been very vocal about this point. At some point, both men decided not to sign their affadavits nor appear at the tribunal.

I've also heard that Charter subsequently offered support (rumoured to come at a price) to the Essendon legal team to help them to find the holes in his own testimony.

I'm a big believer in the concept that people usually act in their own self interest, so:

1. What did they have to gain from testifying in the first place (vs a 'No comment' approach)
2. What did they have to gain from refusing to sign their affadavits or testify to the tribunal?
3. What did Charter have to gain from supporting the Essendon legal team?
Funny thing is,after 42 days it wont matter.
But after 42 days and a name not fit for any resume or workplace,these cretins will do TV interviews claiming they should of appeared and told the "real"truth because now "my life is ruined".
To late to now debate the realities of this case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every conspiracy theory you got, i can drag one out as well.

Oh I am sure you have conspiracy theories coming out your arse, you were probably born with a shiny hat on.

Your head is so far in the sand you don't know what time of day it is

Instead of celebrating with your mates you are still here banging on, now denying Gatto exists and what a stitch up ASADA is.

Even the smart Essendon supporters know they got away with it, but you still think the moon landing was fake.

Never has a group of men come together like this !

Not a single shred of integrity or decency amongst them.
So the various links in the chain or (spiderweb!) as I see it ; Hird/Corcoran/Charter/Robinson/Dank supported by other characters like Alavi/Gatto/Salvo/Hardie/Francis/Jones/Holmes and no doubt others we are yet to hear about.

Ironically it is the dodginess of the leading characters that has led to the players and club escaping punishment.
Seeing more and more of these snippets it is getting easier to comprehend the tribunals viewpoint - they simply just could not trust anybody involved in this mess.

I can't comprehend going to these extremes to win a football game or two !

Now that we know that there is no proof of TB4 use, the key outstanding questions, in my opinion, goes to the behaviour of two of the key protagonists in this case: Nima Alavi and Shane Charter.

ASADA was given power to compel people to attend interviews to support this investigation, but not to compel testimony. To the best of my knowledge, Stephen Dank (whose testimony, IMO, would be required to prove a case to comfortable satisfaction in a non-presence case), was not compelled to attend an interview.

Alavi and Charter attended interviews and seemed to have told a very detailed story about how Dank acquired TB4 and used it to dupe the players. Charter in particular has been very vocal about this point. At some point, both men decided not to sign their affadavits nor appear at the tribunal.

I've also heard that Charter subsequently offered support (rumoured to come at a price) to the Essendon legal team to help them to find the holes in his own testimony.

I'm a big believer in the concept that people usually act in their own self interest, so:

1. What did they have to gain from testifying in the first place (vs a 'No comment' approach)
2. What did they have to gain from refusing to sign their affadavits or testify to the tribunal?
3. What did Charter have to gain from supporting the Essendon legal team?

Sounds like charters was paid off based on today's hun article. And the sheer arrogance of essendon means they are dumb enough to let it come our.

Charters is a convicted drug dealer and confessed abuser of ped. Hardly an upstanding citizen but good enough for the essendon footba club and their coach.

I still can't work out if it was

A.) Hirdy got Charter involved because he wanted somebody 'he could trust.' Or

B.) Dank got Charter involved because he knew of Hird's previous relationship, and thought he'd use him to help get his proposal over the line.

I don't like either scenario to be honest.

Well hird was a witness in his drug trafficking case but when charters pled guilty he did not have to.

Point being hird knew he was a drug dealer and still allowed him near the club. Integrity? None evident.

Sounds like charters was paid off based on today's hun article. And the sheer arrogance of essendon means they are dumb enough to let it come our.

Charters is a convicted drug dealer and confessed abuser of ped. Hardly an upstanding citizen but good enough for the essendon footba club and their coach.
My current understanding is that Charter engineered himself into a position where his testimony would be valuable to Essendon backers.

Quiet as a mouse until it looked like there was no case to answer, then presented a very compelling case with no conceivable motivation, then offered evidence that would help clear the players once the INs landed.

Interesting behaviour, certainly not a payoff as some here have suggested.

Remove this Banner Ad

The mysterious behaviour of Alavi and Charter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back