Streaming The Netflix Thread

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

back on the true crime cart lately - sins of our mother. mormon mommy goes off the deep end and as part of her beliefs her kids are murdered.
you don't have to know much about religion to understand that somewhere things have become unhinged. there's a fine line between someone who defers to their god's word, and someone else who believes they're special and is allowed to make up their own rules.
mommy meets author, author has a rating system devised to classify people as angels or possessed by demons (they are zombies). this apparently gives them justification to murder people to save them. yet they still hide this from the authorities, us regular people just wouldn't understand i guess. which is a theme alluded to toward the end of the documentary.
mormon missionaries are in some ways the best people you'll meet - they would chew their arm off for you. like the other family members/victims in this, they are also incredibly naïve. the mum is able to swan around and bat away questions about her children that haven't been sighted for months.

includes the typical police system failures you see in a lot of true crime docs but not overloaded with it. coincidentally, found the guy involved in the murders has in the last few days received the death penalty for his involvement.

Last edited:
true crime doc - american nightmare

conflicted after watching a few of these recently now. this aspect is important but the use of police incompetence to power parts of the documentary is a bit of a crutch that comes with a reduced pay-off when you watch these things. this doc is slightly different from others in that the couple sued the police for defamation, to the tune of $2.5mil.
but it makes it a harder slog, and you're watching angry and frustrated instead of marvelling at prowess.

true crime doc - american nightmare

conflicted after watching a few of these recently now. this aspect is important but the use of police incompetence to power parts of the documentary is a bit of a crutch that comes with a reduced pay-off when you watch these things. this doc is slightly different from others in that the couple sued the police for defamation, to the tune of $2.5mil.
but it makes it a harder slog, and you're watching angry and frustrated instead of marvelling at prowess.
That's a very good one!

Sent from my SM-T220 using Tapatalk

Anyone watched The 8 Show? Looks like something I'd usuallly love but the first episode was really slow and boring. Does it get better?
Started the 8 Show, seems to a copy paste of Squid Game/Alice in Borderland but I like that concept so I'll stick with it.

Got to episode 2 and dont know if I will go back

The concept is fine I just dont know if it doesnt devolve into something unwatchable

I think the message is that society doesnt want good news or good outcomes and television ( and my view on news over the last 25 years) is about creating conflict and presenting the worst news

The best reality shows are about conflict between people. Big Brother , Survivor are the best at this and they are legends of the genre. We even see it in My Kitchen Rules ffs. Find the good guys and bad guys and edit the show to point the viewer to who they should cheer and boo for and sit back

I finished it yesterday. Not entirely what I expected, not fantastic but not awful.

Definitely far better out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back