The New Era starts now

Remove this Banner Ad

But seriously, there is no scope for worsification. We've gone through it all. Smooth sailing from here on in. :eek:

TRC27S110_GM.jpg

See that bit in the middle. Let's hope we're not there.

BM, keep your goats to yourself.

I think the club's marketing department has a bit of work to do now.

We are clearly moving in a completely new direction. Provided this shit doesn't continue, it will galvanise us, and in a few years time we should be able to compete with the very best sides again.

Perhaps to represent this change, we might want to look at a new advertising strategy, a new logo, etc.

Dalton is gone, so publicly things will be a bit different in terms of media correspondance.

I'm just trying to think of way to freshen things up. We don't want to be the West Coast Eagles (minus Judd and Cousins). We want a completely new definition of our club. It's a great opportunity to now raise the bar off the field.

LOL @ marketing. Club will never have a problem like that. As far as the new era goes id like to think the players dont think the same. To me it sounds like a excuse to bottom out. I dont we should ever nor do we ever have to do that

Bottoming out is for Carlton not for us

TRC27S110_GM.jpg

See that bit in the middle. Let's hope we're not there.

BM, keep your goats to yourself.

Rosita!

I was in that bit in the middle, well very close anyway. I think 'beautiful one day, covered to all buggery in debris the next' summed up your town on that occasion.

Back on topic, great OP, classic Gunnar. West Coast will definitely bounce back.

Well add in a fully fit Butler and the continual improvements of Rosa, Hurn, Priddis, J-Mac, Selwood, Houlihan to a midfield brillience of Cox, Kerr, Stinger, Embley and at times Fletcher. Were not going too bad at all.

And if the AFL leave our picks alone... Add in the picks we have.... We'll be ok.

I don't think so either. But then there's the question: do we need to do more? Right now as our list stands I don't think we've got the worst 'drug culture' in the AFL, but neither do I believe we can say we are 'clean'.
So then the question beckons: how far do we want to take this? I can think of at least two other players who might get the boot if the club really takes a hard line - but the loss of quality on our already-depleted playing group would be enormous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with you about two more, and about the loss of quality.

I guess we need to ask ourselves if near enough is good enough?

I personally would like to see them all go, even though that would probably mean a couple of years in the bottom eight.

I know these players have been spoken to, I just dont know if it has gotten through to them yet. They are young men who think they are invincible, as do most young men.

What is most important to our club, being completely drug free, or being almost drug free but more successful on the field?

Its not just cuz that do drugs at West Coast.. some others need to wake up!!!

I agree- but other clubs on the Eastern Seaboard too are doing drugs and yet protected by their managers etc. Why does this stuff always end up in such a shambles for our club and become so public ?,this doesnt happen to other clubs this way-they go into damage control and look after theyre star players.

WC is not the only club in AFL who does this.

Is there a Political agenda at work here? Was Cousins set up?:mad:

Hi Im new and yes I like Ben Cousins- even tho' he's flawed liked the rest of us.

I agree- but other clubs on the Eastern Seaboard too are doing drugs and yet protected by their managers etc. Why does this stuff always end up in such a shambles for our club and become so public ?,this doesnt happen to other clubs this way-they go into damage control and look after theyre star players.

WC is not the only club in AFL who does this.

Is there a Political agenda at work here? Was Cousins set up?:mad:

Hi Im new and yes I like Ben Cousins- even tho' he's flawed liked the rest of us.

Was cousins set-up?? Pffff you have to be delusional.

Why would he have avoided a blood test? Why would he have been driving recklessly on the road.

The reason that our club is always in the media is the fact that these players are so blatant! I am guessing some players from other clubs are using rec drugs behind close doors. Cousins was lying on the ground in one of the main streets in Vic earlier this year and was pulled over in busy Perth yesterday. The media don't need to do much investigative journalism into our problems.

Haha hey its ok lads it will all blow over, more than half the afl players take drugs at some stage. You people were just the first to be caught out. Please remember that Ben Cousins has no prior convictions just good honest confessions.

Was cousins set-up?? Pffff you have to be delusional.

Why would he have avoided a blood test? Why would he have been driving recklessly on the road.

The reason that our club is always in the media is the fact that these players are so blatant! I am guessing some players from other clubs are using rec drugs behind close doors. Cousins was lying on the ground in one of the main streets in Vic earlier this year and was pulled over in busy Perth yesterday. The media don't need to do much investigative journalism into our problems.

I have driven a bit recklessly at times when i am tired or not concentrating properly- distracted by passengers etc.

His lawyer told him not to give a driver assessment- it was under orders from his lawyer NOT to do a drug test.

We wont know now if there was it wasnt and his lawyer would have advised him over the phone to do this.

I ve heard there are calls to reinstate him. Anyone heard this ?

A blood test can be contaminated with after extraction etc.

Make of this article what you will.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/inside-the-eagles-drug-nightmare/2007/10/20/1192301083329.html

Not the usual table thumping rantings of Patrick Smith or Caroline Wilson but a measured account of how we have to come to this point in relation to our "drugs culture".

I can only hope that the powers that be in our club can rid us of the negative influences, both internal and external, that have seemingly plagued our club.

In the past I haven't been one to be overly concerned about what players get up to in their own time, and to an extent still don't, and as it is their life they can make their own choices. However, it is now apparent that the problems within our club run deeper and have been more damaging than I knew or was willing to believe.

To me winning games of football, has for the first time become less important than restoring our tarnished image.

It is time for a new era, I hope that those that are at the club now can lead us to a successful future free of blemishes of the past.

Make of this article what you will.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/inside-the-eagles-drug-nightmare/2007/10/20/1192301083329.html

Not the usual table thumping rantings of Patrick Smith or Caroline Wilson but a measured account of how we have to come to this point in relation to our "drugs culture".

Thanks for the link, Keyser.

I agree with you and Gunnar. Let's ;earn from the past, and let's move on to bigger and better things. Sometimes you have to go one step back, to be able to move 10 steps forward.

Belgarion

I don't give two s**** about our image. The victorians are just hypocrites. It's all about winning as far as i'm concerned. But i think we need a smarter administration.

It was stupidity of the highest order to bring Cousins back this year. He was always likely to re-offend at some point. If he had these setbacks and stuff ups while he not yet back at the club we could have argued it was all just part of the process of rehab etc etc. It's becuase he stuffed up that we had to sack him. If the AFL wanted a head on a pike we should have given them chick's earlier this year. It seems the decision was made earlier this year not to play him after this year and also he was proving to be an obstacle to us cleaning up the club and punched a vice captain. We would have a much better argument to mount in terms of what we have done to clean up the club if we had scalped one of the druggies earlier in the year when we weren''t under pressure than reacting under pressure now.

Also, how can the eagles have not known where Counsins was and what he was doing and was planning to do in the off season? That is negligence and taking our eye off the ball of the highest order. Cousins needed to be being watched at all times. Our admin have massively stuffed up on this issue on multiple occasions. I believe a point of return was reached about 2 years ago where we were heading for a fall no matter what and there was nothing our admin could do but try an manage the bushfire. The thing snowballed out of controll.

I want to make another point and i need to be careful what i say because i have been already warned by a moderator. But ho f****** useless are the WA police. They first are continuing to try and peddle the story to us that 2 car loads of detectives from the organised crime squad just hapenned to be driving through northbridge and noticed cousins driving erratically and so pulled him over etc. What an obvious load of crap. It was a highly organised sting. I believe that this also played a part in the dropping of charges as police need probable cause 2 search a car and person like they did with cousins. They obvioulsy don't have one if they are sticking with that story. But my main point is that it's been the same people running the drug trade in perth for 20 years now and the cops have never put any of them in jail for anything. You never see the drug kingpins (aand we all know who they are) getting pulled over searched. Yet despite their completely useless record on catching the real criminals they think they have the luxury of spending the manpower of a dozen detectives and round the clock surveilance to track a low level but high profile user like cousins. I would rather my tax dollars be spent tracking the real criminals. Put some runs on the board catching the real crims before we worry about using police resources on someone as low level as cousins. But the cops hate hard work and they like to aim low so they concentrate on speeding fines and harassing high profile users all the while demanding a pay rise every year despite their demonstrable lack of effectiveness in the fight on drugs.

It was also unneccesary to parade cousisn in front of the media in public in handcuffs for 2 hours like they did. Curtain house was just around the corner. they should have had him in there 5 mins after arrest. But they wanted to put on a dog and pony show.

On another note, how long do you guys reckon before we can contend again? I would love it if we shoved it up the vics and made teh final 4 next year which i think we can but a flag is not going to happen. I think 2 years untill we get another 40 games into the likes of Butler, Hurn, Nicoski, McNamara, Le Cras, Brown, Kennedy. Players come into their best footy around the 100 game mark and most of these blokes are on 40 games or so. I also think as we have more good young players than we can give games to we should trade our draft picks for the next 2 years for gun midfielders to try and expedite things for our next crack at a flag. 90% of the time when a club thinks it is in top-up mode it is just kidding itself and has just had a lucky year with no injuries and squeezed into the top 4 on th back of it. But if ever a club was in top-up territory it's us right now.

Judd is gone. Cousins is gone.

The Golden Era that promised so much is over. But now a new era begins.

We still have a core of tough, experienced, talented players, and a crop of young guns to develop. We'll pick up some outstanding local talent in this draft, where we're better positioned than ever before.

2007 has knocked the absolute stuffing out of the Eagles, but this club will pull itself up off the mat and keep going. We're too tough not to.

Our premiership window obviously isn't what it was two months ago, but it's not totally closed. We'll drop back to about 9.00 on the premiership clock and rebuild for another crack.

John Worsfold is about to earn his money.

Testing times for West Coast, but this is the moment where everybody associated with the Eagles, supporters included, have to pull themselves together and show their mettle.

It's the way people deal with the tough times that defines them. Anyone can ride a wave of success. It's when the milk goes sour that people show what they're made of. That time is now.

This club will not curl up and die. Its supporters should not allow themselves to despair, no matter how grim the situation might appear.

Great post. I completely agree. Lets hold our heads high fellow supporters:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

The New Era starts now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back