The New Gold Coast Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Came across this article in The Australian

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23503037-5012432,00.html

Considering there has been a trend in recent years to sign players to two year deals and with a number of Geelong players coming out of contract at year's end what are people's thoughts on how the club handles this?

Obviously there has been talk of "sticking together" but with the cap squeeze likely to begin later this year and with the depth on the list do we accept that some guys are going to be lost to these new sides?

I notice that Nixon will be advising clients to not sign beyond 2010 as a way to keep player options open and I'd have to expect other manager's would do likewise.

No Geelong players are named but it would be naive to think there won't be a play for some of them.

It makes for some good discussion at board level on how to approach re-signing players.

I don't think Geelong would lose any of its big guns but you just never know and there is always the thought that "everyong has their price" and you have to expect the new sides will throw some pretty decent coin to get hold of some marqee players.

Also have to wonder if the AFL steps in to try and regulate these goings on to ensure that sides are not disadvantaged but if players are out of contract that is going to be tricky I'd suspect.

Interesting times ahead.

It's telling that the second tier players they are allegedely all targeting are from Queensland...and we don't have anyone who matches that description. The concern might be in a three-way deal: WA/SA clubs in particular might be more inclined to give up their guns if one of the numerous players we have from those states comes home.

Prismall is unlikely to be on our list after this year. The kid will walk before he stops being a kid. The chances of him going to the GC club might not be realistic, but players like him will be EXACTLY who they're looking for.

Prismall is unlikely to be on our list after this year. The kid will walk before he stops being a kid. The chances of him going to the GC club might not be realistic, but players like him will be EXACTLY who they're looking for.

true and they will try to get some older players as well like someone like a Steven king/aka in that mold to finish there careers off

I can’t believe they are actually going to put a team up there. There really should be far more opposition to this plan. Incompetent administrators are prostituting the integrity of the competition and no one really seems to care. Expansion? Why? No really why?

The thought of Geelong playing a game in front of 5,000 holidaymakers on the Gold Coast is simply depressing.

High farce.

I can’t believe they are actually going to put a team up there. There really should be far more opposition to this plan. Incompetent administrators are prostituting the integrity of the competition and no one really seems to care. Expansion? Why? No really why?

The thought of Geelong playing a game in front of 5,000 holidaymakers on the Gold Coast is simply depressing.

High farce.

i agree...isnt the nrl team struggling there as well?

surely a team in tassie would make more sense!!

According to some media reports, Brian Cook is high on the list to be poached for the CEO position of the GC club.

Heard BC being interviewed the other day. He said it's funny because he always hears that he's top of the list for every single CEO sports administrator's role but in most cases he hasn't even been a part of the process nor spoken with them.

Back on the topic of the Gold Coast team. It's about $$$, pure and simple. More teams = more sponsorship and TV rights revenue. The AFL are willing to take a loss on this now because it will reap dividends in the future. They can't afford to miss this opportunity though because once other codes establish themselves in those regions, it will be even harder for the AFL to break into those markets.

High farce.

Come off it. We had some fun kicking the A.F.L's record score up there in front of all them holidaymakers - a record that still stands today!:D

Geelong has a lot of young players so they need not worry about this too much, at least it would avert a situation like that in the late 90s where all our stars aged and were only on the list because nobody had the heart to boot them off. Then we were a team of youngsters and performed poorly in the early 00s, unlike Collingwood's management that has seen them consistently do well (bar a couple of near bottom finishes)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

on a side note I'm lookin forward to the GC team. As someone who wants to move there because Melbourne is getting too congested, it would be good to have footy more prevalent there.

Remove this Banner Ad

The New Gold Coast Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back