Preview Rd 24 Geelong v West Coast Sat Aug 23 2024 145pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Geelong supporter in Adelaide it is hard to like either local team. Sycophantic, monocular media coverage tends to feed into that.
Plenty of support for the cats over here though, which is good.

Our Adelaide taxi driver agreed. He was, surprisingly a mad Cats fan. He said his family wouldn't change when both SA teams came in. According to him, one lot was up themselves, and the other supporters, were up each other (referring to Hinkley hate). Haha.

You really don't like criticism of Ollie do you, even such that doesn't ask for his axing.
He's had a poor two months let's be real. Barely above a goal a game for the last 8-10 games and tackle numbers are lower.
Why can't you concede that he stays in the team because the MC knows where he is at, what he has been battling, what he can offer the team, what sort of delivery he's had, and that there is no better replacement- he IS best 22. The rest are not as good. He is class and just needs time, patience, and delivery.

How many weeks did we read here on BF Jack should have been dropped. Patience, perseverance, realisation he is quality, and look now- back to his best. VFL will not necessarily get what the club wants from a player.

Wrong about what? The mc is always terrible at selecting sides.

No one says o.henry will be dropped. We say we want him to be dropped.

The MC is fine, given what choice they have. Fairly, I tracked Ollie on the replay, and apart from the mark and goal, he was terrible. Looked weak. They need to get some cohesion going. Sad to note stupid passes and ignoring players in better forward positions. Coming off as either panic or selfishness. Let's see if he can get better delivery and shows some muscle with ground balls. This is the week to share a shitload of goals and show us what they can do with a bit of intelligent process.

It's definitely a farewell game for bews but he won't retire as hoping to go on

Thats still a farwell game though same as menegola last year.

Although i reckon bews will retire after no other club offers him an FA deal.

I expect MOC will be straight under the knife as soon as our season is done and probably should have already done so.

They are probably keeping him going in case we get injuries in finals.

The MC is fine, given what choice they have. Fairly, I tracked Ollie on the replay, and apart from the mark and goal, he was terrible. Looked weak. They need to get some cohesion going. Sad to note stupid passes and ignoring players in better forward positions. Coming off as either panic or selfishness. Let's see if he can get better delivery and shows some muscle with ground balls. This is the week to share a shitload of goals and show us what they can do with a bit of intelligent process.
Given our recent form, the talk about sharing goals around is premature. We are not in a position to assume anything. Geelong needs to win, win ugly if necessary.

Why can't you concede that he stays in the team because the MC knows where he is at, what he has been battling, what he can offer the team, what sort of delivery he's had, and that there is no better replacement- he IS best 22. The rest are not as good. He is class and just needs time, patience, and delivery.

How many weeks did we read here on BF Jack should have been dropped. Patience, perseverance, realisation he is quality, and look now- back to his best. VFL will not necessarily get what the club wants from a player.
Why do I have to concede something I am not arguing against? I haven't said drop him.
I just think he's in poor form, and it is perfectly reasonable to acknowledge that.

I don’t think any of those players including Bews play finals, but ask yourself which player you’d feel comfortable in playing on the big stage. Easy choice in Bews for me

Rachele running rings around him was a tough watch. He looked every bit a player where the game had passed him by. I'd be much more comfortable with Mullin or Clark playing finals than Bews.

Unless we're playing silly buggers with MOC or Guthrie and they're going to be ready for week 1 of finals then these guys are only just outside the 23. And every single game is vital to guys like Mullin and Clark for their development.

Plus he is only 30.

Touhy and duncan are what? 34.
The end comes quicker for some. 30 is not an unusual age to retire at, especially for those who weren't high-end players. There's quite a berth in athleticism and footballing talent between those two and Bews, which isn't to try and bring down Bews who is a player I've generally liked and respected throughout his career. But he's always been quite limited in what he can do, and when you start to deteriorate further, then that makes it tough to compete at AFL level.

I doubt he'll be playing for Geelong next year. If he wants to try his luck elsewhere, that's fair, but I don't know who would pick him up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can’t engage seriously with someone who makes such a claim.
Given the gaping holes in our list profile and the absolute dearth of true A-graders in the engine room, it is completely remarkable what our club has achieved thus far in 2024. So the notion that the M.C. has performed poorly overall across the course of the season doesn't even begin to pass the reasonableness test in my view.

Our Adelaide taxi driver agreed. He was, surprisingly a mad Cats fan. He said his family wouldn't change when both SA teams came in. According to him, one lot was up themselves, and the other supporters, were up each other (referring to Hinkley hate). Haha.
As a fellow Cats supporter living in Adelaide, I don't like either team but I feel Port are very clearly the lesser of two evils. Listening to talkback radio after a Crows loss gives me as much joy as a Cats win.

Eagles have brought in 5 kids
No excuses for Cats huge win
Need percentage boost for Top 3
Playing before other contenders
Cats must go hard to find form

Need to sort out forward issues
Stop defender intercept marking
Cats forwards lead expecting ball
Defenders watch where ball go's
Opportunity to try Steward Fwd
Neale to focus on spoiling also

Rohan too early post concussion
Should have been Sub last week
This was a big stuff-Up by Scott
Rohan to play intercept forward

Thats still a farwell game though same as menegola last year.

Although i reckon bews will retire after no other club offers him an FA deal.
But menegola had not played in ages and that past game wasnt critical to finals. Our season was over.

Its completely different this time around. If bews is just being given a farewell game then he has already had it. Two of them in fact. And this game is a final for us. Must win. If you do farewell games this week you may as well do them in the first final as well creating a perverse catch 22.

And if bews gets a farewell game despite playing two weeks ago then why wouldnt rohan get a farewell game?

Last edited:
Eagles have brought in 5 kids
No excuses for Cats huge win
Need percentage boost for Top 3
Playing before other contenders
Cats must go hard to find form

Need to sort out forward issues
Stop defender intercept marking
Cats forwards lead expecting ball
Defenders watch where ball go's
Opportunity to try Steward Fwd
Neale to focus on spoiling also

Rohan too early post concussion
Should have been Sub last week
This was a big stuff-Up by Scott
Rohan to play intercept forward
He had 2 weeks off
He didn’t need a 3rd

He had 2 weeks off
He didn’t need a 3rd
Whatever the case there, Rohan being declared available to play on the weekend wasn't anything to do with Scott. He's not making the calls on player availability that are rightly left in the hands of the trained medical professionals at the club.

Probably more than any team in the AFL, Port ride the home crowd momentum. It’s great when it works. Almost unstoppable. But playing on emotion doesn’t bring you Premierships. Process driven teams with enough elite talent and role players, consistency of personnel and structure bring you flags!
Port’s one wood is emotion.
They have structural weaknesses in defence (especially with Houston out. MASSIVE loss! Like Stewart for us). Flaky in attack.
Midfield exceedingly talented but reek a bit of jockeying for the Alpha Male role. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.
Sydney far more evenly spread elite, selfless talent.
Put doubt in Port’s heads and we’re a chance.
Expose Alir and Rata one on one.
Maybe a role for Bowes or MOC in a Port/Cats match to go with JHF. He’s the match winner for them. Looks built for September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is what really annoys me about Port. They have a bit of a 'It just means more. You wouldn't understand' kind of stuck up attitude feeling they're superior to other fans. Much like Liverpool.

Also, Dixon has passion but even donkey's can have passion. The ultimate looks like tarzan plays like Jane key forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back