Opinion The Next Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Given the current captain didn't do anything of the sort, not sure where this comes from. Unless you just went along with the media beat up and didn't actually listen to the audio
I did listen to the audio and he clearly stated it would be after he left Collingwood, the inference toward Grundy was equally ludicrous, hence IRONY

The more you think about it, the more you realise that Scott Pendlebury has to remain captain for the rest of his career. He is still probably the best skipper anyway. Adams cannot hit the side of a barn, Crisp is ideal but does not seem to be considered, some people say that Grundy does not want the leadership burden and they want him back to his best form soon, Maynard has not been suggested by those in the know, while Moore is too woke.

The way I see it, on-field leadership isn't just about leading by example anymore. These days there's a lot more on-field marshalling of troops than there used to be due to the game being more complex. I think Adams is too singularly focussed to do that part of the role which is why he hasn't played as well when captain. The mids should still be lead by Pendles and/or Sidey. Howe leads the defence. The forwards have been a chaotic leaderless mess for a while now. Probably need to get Mihocek to put his hand up there.

I'd give the captaincy to Howe or Sidey - just as a change from Pendles and because I think he'd be too much of an exacting perfectionist that would inadvertently discourage the kids to take the game on.

The way I see it, on-field leadership isn't just about leading by example anymore. These days there's a lot more on-field marshalling of troops than there used to be due to the game being more complex. I think Adams is too singularly focussed to do that part of the role which is why he hasn't played as well when captain. The mids should still be lead by Pendles and/or Sidey. Howe leads the defence. The forwards have been a chaotic leaderless mess for a while now. Probably need to get Mihocek to put his hand up there.

I'd give the captaincy to Howe or Sidey - just as a change from Pendles and because I think he'd be too much of an exacting perfectionist that would inadvertently discourage the kids to take the game on.
Howe? I don't even know if he'll be in our best 22 next season or even be playing in 2023.

I think he and Ruscoe can coexist, but that stems from me thinking Noble is best suited up-field. Or that Noble will be pushed out before Howe
Noble is a small defender. Ruscoe & Howe are medium size defenders. So I don't think Noble is in the same conversation as them. My back six for round one would be:

Quaynor Roughie Crisp
Maynard Moore Ruscoe

Noble is a small defender. Ruscoe & Howe are medium size defenders. So I don't think Noble is in the same conversation as them. My back six for round one would be:

Quaynor Roughie Crisp
Maynard Moore Ruscoe
We need a 7th defender for rotations. That should be Ruscoe, as Howe is still best 22

We need a 7th defender for rotations. That should be Ruscoe, as Howe is still best 22
Yes. I could see Noble and others rotating through there. But I'm slightly leaning towards Ruscoe ahead of Howe at this stage. Howe is 32 and missed a lot of footy in the last two years and Ruscoe looked quite comfortable in the backline when we put him there this season, which isn't surprising given that's where he played his junior footy. I think with another pre season under his belt, coupled with Howe's natural decline, Ruscoe may take his spot.

Yes. I could see Noble and others rotating through there. But I'm slightly leaning towards Ruscoe ahead of Howe at this stage. Howe is 32 and missed a lot of footy in the last two years and Ruscoe looked quite comfortable in the backline when we put him there this season, which isn't surprising given that's where he played his junior footy. I think with another pre season under his belt, coupled with Howe's natural decline, Ruscoe may take his spot.
I feel like injuries to Howe may sadly make the decision an easy one. Hope I'm wrong. He did look a step (or two) slower

Adams wears his ❤ on his sleeve.. and that's great.. but it seems to linger for a while.. has a tendency of giving away tmi.. I don't mind it a bit from time to time.. sometimes it's the antidote we need.. but when it becomes capricious.. even though it's bona fide.. it can come across as a bit of a cacophony maudlin and obfuscate.. not really mellifluous.. and a lil too lurid.

And then there's issues with form and injuries.

Right hand man.. yes. Captain.. no.
I think that deserves some sort of English award.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Howe? I don't even know if he'll be in our best 22 next season or even be playing in 2023.
I feel like injuries to Howe may sadly make the decision an easy one. Hope I'm wrong. He did look a step (or two) slower

Howe's been really quick, so even when he slows down and can't jump, he'll still be a decently paced defender who reads the game and ball flight impeccably and has elite hands and very good skills. If he can avoid injuries that stop him getting on the park, he's got years left in him.

Quaynor Roughie Crisp
Maynard Moore Ruscoe

I don't think we'll see a back 6 like that.. coupla changes..

Adams wears his ❤ on his sleeve.. and that's great.. but it seems to linger for a while.. has a tendency of giving away tmi.. I don't mind it a bit from time to time.. sometimes it's the antidote we need.. but when it becomes capricious.. even though it's bona fide.. it can come across as a bit of a cacophony maudlin and obfuscate.. not really mellifluous.. and a lil too lurid.

And then there's issues with form and injuries.

Right hand man.. yes. Captain.. no.
It’s like trying to read a Gerard Whately article lol.

I don't think we'll see a back 6 like that.. coupla changes..
Howe Roughy Maynard
Quaynor Moore Crisp
Ruscoe or Noble off the bench depending on opponent
Crisp and Maynard left footers on the left side coming out of defence
Howe intercept def on the backline. Moore on Halfback line
Barring injury I can't see anyone on our list pushing these 8 out

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The Next Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back