benjamin

Debutant
Apr 26, 2003
Denmark
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Farum
I have heard that the plan is for the next IC to be held in 2011 - still only another three year gap. Too short IMO. I even think four years is too soon but every three years is definitely too often. For some countries it costs a fortune to make it, and many simply won't get there.

But what's more interesting is WHERE it will be held. The argument has always been that they have to be held in Australia because for most players, the attraction of seeing AFL games is an additional carrot to make the trip. Well, the next IC will be the fourth one and perhaps that argument may be running a little thin.

Countries close to Oz such as PNG and NZ already have the benefit of closer ties to Australia to give them a much stronger player base. The fact that they only have to fly a few hours compared to well over 20 for some only adds to the difference.

An IC in a place like London or New York would be interesting IMO. It would give the northern hemisphere nations a better chance to compete and it would give the countries close to Oz a taste of what it's like for the rest.

Granted it would be more difficult for the AFL to help logstically, but surely the host nation could contribute because staging such an event would be a huge feather in their cap. Perhaps the AFL could help with a few key personnel (e.g. umpires) for the two weeks.

Discuss.

(Note: To the rugby trolls, this thread has NOTHING to do with which sport is better, so lay-off :) - and to the rest of us, when the trolls do weigh in on this as they inevitably will, might I suggest we just ignore them?)

I think this has been debated a lot after the last IC - with 2008 in Melbourne a given due to the 150 celebrations. I was just thinking yesterday as I looking at the pics on WFN of the Sth Africa vs Boomerangs game that there are some great venues in South Africa and it could be timed at the start of the year when AFL clubs will be playing in South Africa in 2012 (Thus making it 3 1/2 years). I don't know who ultimately makes the decision on this.

I agree that it should noe become very 4 years, so therefore become 2012.
It would be great if it could be held overseas but if a European nation struggles financially to come to Australia how on earth is a pacific nation going to make it.
South Africa would be great, maybe Canada or the US but I personally would not like to see it in England I just dont think it would necassary be as successfull as the 3 nations I have mentioned above.

As much as the idea of South Africa sounds great, you have to remember that they will be hosting the FIFA World CUp only a couple of years before.

Even if they gets some kids from Potch down to the ground, the AFL's tournament would be well and truly lost in the tail of the hype.

I think that the facility in Florida sounds like a good idea. The proximity to Europe would ensure a large number of European nations attenting.

India could be a real wildcard. They haven't hosted too many world cups and never rugby or soccer and have some ideal cricket stadiums. They are hosting the Hockey World Cup in 2010 and Cricket World Cup in 2011 and the AFL event could be marketed off the back of these events. There is the potential if marketed correctly for it to draw massive interest and crowds. And India's proximity to Asia and Europe would allow both Asian and European nations good representation and it wouldn't be too far away for Pacific or African nations either.
344056PD.jpg

The pic above is East Perth vs Subiaco (WAFL practice match) played in New Delhi in 1969 which attracted a crowd and interest, not much has been done there since. Mumbai with its much larger population would be a much better option.

USA and Canada might travel a bit, but those guys have the disposable income.

But let's not get too excited. In reality, I'd rather see another Australian city get excited about hosting this event and bidding for it first. That would have more positive effects for acceptance of International Footy here in Australia. Perth and Adelaide immediately come to mind. But it could also be a huge boon for Tasmania.

Remember, if you set a precedent with the growth of the game, it may well be a long time before Australia again gets to enjoy quality international footy ....

I can confirm that the AFL want to stage the next IC in 2011. I totally agree with Benjamin, however, that this is way too soon.

One of the issues being discussed in Europe at the moment is the first 18-a-side European Championships in 2010. This would be fantastic for footy in Europe and has the potential to attract 8 countries. Having the next IC in 2011, however, would make it very difficult.

Personally I don't think Melbourne should host the next one. Such is the saturation level of AFL football these days that there is little interest in the International Cup.

My head says play it in Adelaide, where the locals will get behind the event and the facilities will be much better. Just wait until you see Royal Park North...

My heart says the USA. They have been running successful Nationals for many years and with the right support would do a fantastic job.

As for getting the poorer nations there, isn't there a world governing body that would be delighted to assist?

One of the issues being discussed in Europe at the moment is the first 18-a-side European Championships in 2010.

The Central European AFL Championships is based on 18 a side footy, and has had some full 18 a side matches in both Madrid (2003) and Dusseldorf (2004).

As I said mate, it will be the first European, not Central European, 18-a-side tournament. Happy to discuss this in another thread, let's keep this one on topic regarding the International Cup.

Some interesting ideas. India hadn't crossed my mind and would be fair for almost all attendees except for the northern Americans but as someone said they are the ones with the disposable income. :D

I still think New York or somewhere else on the east coast of the US might be interesting.

South Africa? Might as well hold it on the moon.

Some might think it a bad time to raise this question but I'm doing it now because these issues will no doubt get discussed at the coming IC. The powers that be MUST be convinced that anything less than four years is ridiculous. Heavens above even soccer, the rugbies, and the Olympics only do this every four years, why should Australian Football with its fledgling international and amateur status do it any more often? Four years also gives local regions the opportunity to hold a local championship every other even year, a-la the World Cup/European Cup in soccer.

As I said mate, it will be the first European, not Central European, 18-a-side tournament. Happy to discuss this in another thread, let's keep this one on topic regarding the International Cup.

CEAFL has always been open to all Europe (but not Middle East like Israel).

Just posting short comments in the same thread where the misleading comments arise !!!

I would guess that the reason for a three year period would be to ensure that there is more regular competition between countries, as for many of them there is not the opportunity for regular international fixtures.

Things like the European Cup are great, and will fill the gap for the EU countries, but there needs to be a larger number of regular, regional comps to serve that purpose for different regions.

That is why it was a shame that there was not a greater emphasis on getting the game into the South Pacific games, as it would have enabled the Pacific countries 2 large tournaments in every four year period.

I would guess that the reason for a three year period would be to ensure that there is more regular competition between countries, as for many of them there is not the opportunity for regular international fixtures.

Things like the European Cup are great, and will fill the gap for the EU countries, but there needs to be a larger number of regular, regional comps to serve that purpose for different regions.

That is why it was a shame that there was not a greater emphasis on getting the game into the South Pacific games, as it would have enabled the Pacific countries 2 large tournaments in every four year period.

The only countries it really effects is the Pacific nations. This is where league and union pump their money into funding competitions between nations because they are the least likely to be able to afford travel themselves. The AFL has some really promising countries like Nauru and Samoa, but does nothing.

The rest are pretty much covered ...
PNG and NZ (Australian champs)
South Africa (Australia AFL/AIS tours)
USA vs Canada
Europe (several tournaments)
Asian nations (Narita Cup, Asian Champs)
Middle East (Dubai Nines)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that is the reason... then it is totally the wrong way to go about it.

They should instead encourage an Oceania Championships... maybe some guru will move to the islands and establish this... (DigiCell are calling).

A 4 year IC would maybe allow for an Oceania Champs every odd year (or 2 years after each IC)... but the commitment required to go to IC every 3 years, would have an adverse affect on the ability to do other activities.

My theory... ICs every 4 years will be 25% cheaper than ICs every 3 years. That 25% of funds can be used to prop up an Oceania Championships.

Footy will be all the better for it.

Japan still have regular competition as a result of their own pockets and annual trips to Oz.

China & India can perhaps play each other locally rather than flying to Australia... and if flying to Australian means that they can play each other as well as other teams - Brits, Americans etc... then it would be cheaper to stay home and replace that with matches against the China Reds.

The China Reds would be as competitive or moreso than the European or Americas teams in IC, giving them good exposure... but the match would be played in a style where the superior footballers have a vested interest in seeing the local guys develop and there would be good interaction in that regard.

The Asian AFL Championships currently do not provide an outlet for the Chinese & Indian teams that will be in Melbourne to play. These guys are more than welcome, but the entire event is self funded by players, and it is rare for the locals (other than Japan) to have the disposable income to do this.

One thing to consider is if they go every 4 years from now then they will play in each Olympic year. And if it is close will reduce the potential for sports news coverage to be about the IC and more about Olympic sports/athletes.

I wouldnt worry about it clashing with the olympics. There are always big sporting events on like the FIFA world cup and rugby world cup which are also in different years.

I agree that in the ideal world it would be the International Cup every 4 years with regional tournaments with the same player restrictions as the International Cup held in between.
I think doing this would also help teams who are not good enough or rich enough to compete at the International Cup. For example having an America's championship which would obviously have Canada and the US but could also invite the likes of Argentina to attend.

Would be nice to see an Asian championships but untill there is more then Japan, China and india maybe they could compete in the Pacific championships.

It's hard to express an opinion until the AFL has presented a vision for future international cups - which I'm hoping may take place at the International forum on Tuesday 26th August. But for me, it is primarily about fair and balanced support and game development of the international game.

If the emphasis remains on attracting a good number of participating countries to each edition of the IC, then AFL can run International Cups as often as it likes (annually), providing there is a balanced solution to overcoming the financial hurdle distant teams have in preparing and coming to future Cups (with the emphasis on preparing).

The international scene is only as strong as it's weakest countries; and I fear a downside of the current "support/grants/ICs in near proximity to Australia" model may result in the have's/have not's heirarchical problems which plague a number of established sports such as rugby and cricket.

International footy is currently in a small window of opportunity to create a level playing field across the world with the right seeding and measured support from the games global authority. But that window is fast closing. The following ICs will go to a 2 division model just to avoid the beltings that will take place in this edition. If that occurs, don't count on the developing European countries on forking out of their own pockets and turning up to play in Div 2 - they will be definitely looking closer to home.

One thing to consider is if they go every 4 years from now then they will play in each Olympic year. And if it is close will reduce the potential for sports news coverage to be about the IC and more about Olympic sports/athletes.

Well then don't schedule Kick Around Australia the day before the Olympics starts then. Which braindead nuffy made that decision?

Remove this Banner Ad

The next International Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back