The Next Two Weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m sure they’ll rotate a few through the period up until our bye. A freshen up for the sore or older players makes sense. Can’t see wholesale changes because we’ve seen little of our ‘full side’ due to the spate of injuries.
They pump some time into some and rest some up.

We have 3 matches to the mid season buy. Its a delicate balance between keep the momentum going and building the whole squad for the balance of the year. In the midfield I would be rotating Mitchell, Pendles, Sidey and Adams over the next 4-6 weeks and having Carmichael, McCrae, Bianco and Ed Allan a game or 2 across this period. Obviously not all at once.

I wouldn’t be resting anyone for the WC game. The last thing we need is rusty core players who haven’t played for 2 weeks coming in to play against a pumped up Melbourne.

I wouldn’t be resting anyone for the WC game. The last thing we need is rusty core players who haven’t played for 2 weeks coming in to play against a pumped up Melbourne.
Pendles and Sidey could stay at home I reckon. You don’t see rust on a Rolls Royce and Steele is stainless.

And we could get to the end of the year and find that the difference between a home/away final against Brisbane/Port etc... is percentage

Anyone who really needs to be managed will be , but I doubt there will be any sort of big precautionary management to "freshen up"

If we’re going to rest players, it should be Adams, Mitchell, Sidebottom or Elliott and only 1 of them at a time. Preferably in the back half of the season though.

Pendlebury had a week off recently and had two recent games where he played just over 50% game time as well. He’ll be fine until the bye when they’ll all get a rest anyway. Same with De Goey who has also missed a game already.

The next two weeks should be percentage boosters for us , where we ensure that we can drop two games at some point and still not drop out of the top 2. We need to finish top 2 and avoid travelling to Brisbane or Adelaide in the finals.

“Rest ten players”…that guy Cornes is such an idiot sometime.

We need to be on high alert against the Eagles. I have no doubt Simpson will be sacked or will quit next week and they will be revved. Add to that the fact that I am going to the game and it turns into a real worry.

Jamie is getting battered week in week out.

Carmichael can 100% play Jamie's role and he's in form

I'd consider giving Jamie at least a week's rest to manage him through the season. With Jamie finding some form now, he's one player we want primed for finals

We need to be on high alert against the Eagles. I have no doubt Simpson will be sacked or will quit next week and they will be revved. Add to that the fact that I am going to the game and it turns into a real worry.
They’re that far from AFL standard at present it’s literally not possible to even consider it

Another way of looking at resting a player could be to give some other players opportunities at the level so that they get used to the speed etc just in case we need them later in the season or even finals.
We had to bring Bianco in for the Semi Final last year after Adams went down against the Cats and his earlier exposure helped him fit into the side and make a handy contribution.

If blokes are sore by all means give them a week off. But no hubris here.
Players will get games if they deserve them - not because we would like to see them at senior level
A premiership is on the line here - and as we all know they are pretty hard to win at Collingwood. Don’t need to out smart ourselves
Fly will do the right thing

I wouldn't rest anyone against North unless they are a bit sore. They're much more of a threat than WCE, and we need to capitalise on our chances to build % given how important a top 2 finish will be this year (with interstate sides pushing hard in the top 4).

Against WCE, I'd advocate for resting Pendlebury, Mitchell and maybe one more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't rest anyone against North unless they are a bit sore. They're much more of a threat than WCE, and we need to capitalise on our chances to build % given how important a top 2 finish will be this year (with interstate sides pushing hard in the top 4).

Against WCE, I'd advocate for resting Pendlebury, Mitchell and maybe one more.
We only have one Moore.;)

I didn't see the game but North annoyingly seemingly found some much needed spirit against Sydney and you only have to see what West Coast did to us last year at Marvel to know the result of any game is at risk if you aren't mentally switched on.

I'm all for player management and the big picture if you put yourself in a position where you can afford that luxury but at this point in the season I don't think we should tempt fate and "manage" more than 2 players completely out of the side each round over the next 2 weeks.

While it's been a great start to the season and a top 8 finish should be expected given we're currently 4 games and percentage clear of 9th, it's top 4 (preferably top 2 to avoid the Gabba or Adelaide) that we're aiming for and a lot of water still has to go under that bridge.

I’m not sure Simpson can be held accountable for their injury list.

The Kangas played very well by all reports v Sydney. New Coach Syndrome is usually good for a few rounds, so they do present some danger.

I doubt we rest many this week. Maybe Adams or Mitchell and perhaps Elliott. Then rest Pendles v West Coast and maybe Mihochek, or even Moore, if Frampton is back?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Both teams were awful. It's just that North were a bit unlucky in the end, but it was not a good game of football to watch.

North who are a slightly better side this year nearly knocked us off last year and beat Richmond the next week and we all know how we faired against West Coast. Not the time to go nuts with resting players unless it's absolutely needed. Everyone will get a spell with the bye coming in a couple of weeks, until then I'd rather treat every game as one we need to win and try and build a bit of % in the meanwhile. I do think we've got a few sore blokes though and the bye will come at a very good time

If blokes are sore by all means give them a week off. But no hubris here.
Players will get games if they deserve them - not because we would like to see them at senior level
A premiership is on the line here - and as we all know they are pretty hard to win at Collingwood. Don’t need to out smart ourselves
Fly will do the right thing
Exactly I’d hate to see a repeat of 2011

squad rotations for mine ..... in addition would like fly to use these 2 games to fine tune a melbourne-specific strategy for the kings b'day clash

our win/loss ratio provides us with a rare luxury to explore that

Last edited:
The fact that they can have 2 weeks off is all the more reason to rest them
Can actually make a serious improvement to body issues

Id even give a bloke both weeks off and spell them until Melbourne if it means they can significantly deal with some niggles

SO you think a revved up WAFL side will beat us?

Its amazing to me that so many people think results are so influenced by effort and willpower

Its a technical, highly skilled and rehearsed game. Effort is required, sure. But its not like I can speak Mandarin tomorrow just because of a revv up

Remove this Banner Ad

The Next Two Weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back