Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) IX

Remove this Banner Ad

It's absurd isn't it.

The gap in professionalism between them and us makes it feel like we're a VFL reserves club in comparison, or not even the same sport.

Pretty much any other club falls bottom out with the list changes like this.

They just continue to defy gravity.

They have some seriously solid developing players in the VFL too. George Stevens looked real good in his first year. Jyhe Clark hasn’t lived up to expectation but believe me there is a player there. Connor O’Sullivan will be a solid CHB within a few years. And Sam De Koning didn’t even play tonight.

tazaa is right.

Geelong's cliffs are smaller than a 28yo Corio grandmother's heels on a night out.

Sydney and Hawthorn. Making a mockery of the AFL draft model this millennium. Every few years there they are again.

Meanwhile we're in an eternal cycle of slapping ourselves on the back for trying in a couple of tight losses each year.
They have traded really well. Yea, they have no cap and that Bowes deal is dodgier than their government funded shit home, but they attract quality young and mature talent nearly every year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But why? He was the most dominant VFL player in the first half of the year and so many draftable traits. Blows me away that more players like him aren’t given the opportunity.
This is so true. Clubs keep recycling the same old players expecting for some reason that they will improve.

For example, Wagner, good story that he is still on a list, but he was exposed when they played Port in that final game.

Would rather take a VFL player that has shown they are great at that level and see whether they can translate that at AFL level.

tazaa is right.

Geelong's cliffs are smaller than a 28yo Corio grandmother's heels on a night out.

Sydney and Hawthorn. Making a mockery of the AFL draft model this millennium. Every few years there they are again.

Meanwhile we're in an eternal cycle of slapping ourselves on the back for trying in a couple of tight losses each year.

Questions need to be asked.... by the board/CEO.

I think the club was so focused in getting Clarkson in the door they never bothered even asking him what kind of development plan did he have from getting us from A to B, because atm it doesn't seem to be any better than Nobel, he just has had the benefit of a few extra years of drafts/development.

We aren't getting anywhere in a hurry much like nobody is putting on any weight on in hurry to be able to sustain the kind of footy from the mature bodies that the teams above us have.

They have traded really well. Yea, they have no cap and that Bowes deal is dodgier than their government funded shit home, but they attract quality young and mature talent nearly every year.
This is my point.
The shithousery to get the Bowes deal done.
And to get 8 home games at KP each year.
They give themselves a leg up because they won’t cop anything less. I want this level of selfish entitlement.

All they have to do is win enough games to finish top 4 and then time and time again they’re at the very least playing off in a prelim.

One for Travis Boak, one for Charlie Dixon

1725540057786.jpeg

Questions need to be asked.... by the board/CEO.

I think the club was so focused in getting Clarkson in the door they never bothered even asking him what kind of development plan did he have from getting us from A to B, because atm it doesn't seem to be any better than Nobel, he just has had the benefit of a few extra years of drafts/development.

We aren't getting anywhere in a hurry much like nobody is putting on any weight on in hurry to be able to sustain the kind of footy from the mature bodies that the teams above us have.
I think it’s because their kids are integrated with mature bodies and that standard of training, running, disposal efficiency is already there and they have to match it on day 1. Meanwhile we have no elder-statesmen that can drive those standards at our club . Let alone lace one out on the chest in a draining drill.

tazaa is right.

I reckon we could go back to the finals series in 2017, 2019, 2020 and 2022 and quote discussion from this board and we’ll all be saying the same shit.

It’s now noticeable.
Like that lightbulb f***ing moment when you realise clubs who contended and won a flag and the clubs we were meant to go past but didn’t, none of that occurred. And so the footy cycle has burnt us.
The AFLs so called goal of protecting the integrity of the game and having teams down the bottom challenge every 5-10 years and teams challenging in that time drop down the ladder is simply not true.
The cycle that is in place is just rinse and repeat of the same teams in the same bloody positions.

We need to break this and break it soon.

Last edited:
I think it’s because their kids are integrated with mature bodies and that standard of training, running, disposal efficiency is already there and they have to match it on day 1. Meanwhile we have no elder-statesmen that can drive those standards at our club . Let alone lace one out on the chest in a draining drill.

We had Greenwood around, we brought in Shiels, Tucker... Simpkin is 26, LDU is25. Scott is 24, 186cm and still 77kg. He should ONLY be playing AFL football if he meets the target minimum weight perquisite as part of his physical development program. Numerous coaches have ticked him off way underweight and Clarkson twice.

There is a reason why we crumble under pressure,when teams lift their intensity, we are physically incapable of stopping them.

We need to stop making excuses for the lack of development, recruiting too many skinny runts. This rebuild is already taking too ****ing long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) IX

Remove this Banner Ad

Back