Toast The Official Bailey Banfield Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Must feel pretty stiff being invited two years in a row and not winning either year lol
Apparently body of work means two thirds of f*ck all.

GET ABSOLUTELY F*CKED BAILEY WAS ROBBED TWO YEARS IN A ROW I'M TURNING OFF THE BROWNLOW THIS LEAGUE IS A SHAM!!!!!

(well done to the actual winner tho)
Worse is him missing out on being top ten for Freo’s brownlow vote getters by virtue of alphabetical order. You’d think with a surname starting with B you’d be pretty safe, but then along comes 1-vote Jye Amiss to deny you your spot in the top ten. (8) Home  X.jpg

Worse is him missing out on being top ten for Freo’s brownlow vote getters by virtue of alphabetical order. You’d think with a surname starting with B you’d be pretty safe, but then along comes 1-vote Jye Amiss to deny you your spot in the top ten.View attachment 2119918
what stands out for me is that 74 Brownlow votes went to Freo players under 25yo and the spread was amongst 8 players. Next best teams were a fair bit behind in Port, Swans, Hawks, and GC.

Walls has done a very good job.

Was it just me or did they not acknowledge the nominees in the Jim Stynes medal on the broadcast? Maybe it was announced in the room but not on TV but I was disappointed they jumped straight to the winner.
They did not.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People talk as if you’re either a Banfield lover or a Banfield hater.

I found myself in both camps this year. So I’m not sure it’s a very useful way of looking at our feelings toward BB.

I like to see Banfield as a slow burn improver. A bit like Shaun McManus.

At the start of the year we witnessed his new ceiling, but he showed us his old basement level is still there towards the end of the year.

Next year I hope we see his good side for a bit longer, and beyond I think he can improve again.

Inspite of the “Friggen Banfield” moments, I’m glad he’s on our team.

I found myself in both camps this year. So I’m not sure it’s a very useful way of looking at our feelings toward BB.

At the start of the year we witnessed his new ceiling, but he showed us his old basement level is still there towards the end of the year.

Next year I hope we see his good side for a bit longer, and beyond I think he can improve again.

Agree that BB has worked hard to be a better AFL player year by year. Crept up to 97 AFL games now, and maybe some people will be surprised to know only 6 of those were starting as a sub.

I don't think Shaun McManus was a slow burn improver though. He was a star play cut down by knee injuries. Have a look as his best years in Brownlow voting -the first two years, and he was a goalkicker too, and was actually a handy overhead mark with a bit of a springy jump before he did his knees.

Get to that archive

It’s been a bit of a roller coaster ride being his buddy this season ngl but agree that overall he’s shown progression and you can’t ask for more than that.

I think that’s more about the different roles we were giving him.
I feel his best value is wing , drifting forward.
Moving him forward to accommodate Jaeger playing wing was counter productive and I’m stuffed if I know why Justin does shit like this .

Agree that BB has worked hard to be a better AFL player year by year. Crept up to 97 AFL games now, and maybe some people will be surprised to know only 6 of those were starting as a sub.

I don't think Shaun McManus was a slow burn improver though. He was a star play cut down by knee injuries. Have a look as his best years in Brownlow voting -the first two years, and he was a goalkicker too, and was actually a handy overhead mark with a bit of a springy jump before he did his knees.

Get to that archive

A bit effusive. Definitely not a star albeit probably better than Peter Bell . But that’s not saying much.

A bit effusive. Definitely not a star albeit probably better than Peter Bell . But that’s not saying much.

Well I'm not going to argue this on a Bailey Banfield thread.

The video evidence of his first two seasons is there in the games archive thread.

Find me thirty, 18-19yo players over the past 30 years who have bettered 8 and 9 Brownlow votes (17 votes) in their first two seasons at AFL level and I'll concede that i'm exaggerating.

Well I'm not going to argue this on a Bailey Banfield thread.

The video evidence of his first two seasons is there in the games archive thread.

Find me thirty, 18-19yo players over the past 30 years who have bettered 8 and 9 Brownlow votes (17 votes) in their first two seasons at AFL level and I'll concede that i'm exaggerating.

Well, I did say he was probably better than Peter Bell.
At any rate, Bailey is not being given any favours by JL playing him in least effective position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast The Official Bailey Banfield Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back