The old holding the ball rules were better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Prior opportunity = Must dispose of it legally

No prior opportunity = Dont have to dispose of it or make an attempt to.

In both cases if you attempt to dispose and miss the foot or fist its incorrect disposal.

Thats it, nothing else. None of this other crap that creates confusion between the two scenarios like insufficient attempt etc

This is how it used to be umpired. And was far less confusing and frustrating for everybody.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm now all for anything that takes away all these bullshit grey areas of interpretation with terms like "genuine attempt". That's the entire problem with the umpiring. Leaving too much open to interpretation.

Only issue with your proposed change is the potential for a lot more stoppages but it's something that would be worth trialing in the off season (rather than bringing in 15 new interpretation changes during the year to try and fix whatever they ****ed up last week.

In both cases if you attempt to dispose and miss the foot or fist its incorrect disposal.

Thats it, nothing else. None of this other crap that creates confusion between the two scenarios like insufficient attempt etc

This is how it used to be umpired. And was far less confusing and frustrating for everybody.
I agree except for the chicken wing tackle that players are using more frequently these days. Once tackled you should be able to dispose of the ball in some fashion, but you can't if you're on your knees and having one arm held.

I think the "Genuine Attempt" should be made but it still has to be a legal disposal.

They need to get rid of the "Knocked out in the tackle" crap though.

Old rules of the 360 spin then HTB

I think the "Genuine Attempt" should be made but it still has to be a legal disposal.

They need to get rid of the "Knocked out in the tackle" crap though.

Old rules of the 360 spin then HTB

Knocked out in the tackle is fine if the tackle doesn't stick, or if you have no prior. It keeps the ball moving.

It’s worse then ever now.

Now we’re seeing players flat out throw the ball away to avoid it being held in.

Throwing the ball away is different to being knocked out in the tackle. However that doesn’t matter under the current set of rules.

Now we’re seeing players who have genuine prior opportunity get tackled, blatantly throw the ball and it’s play on. Compared to others get tackled instantly, no prior what so ever but as the ball is held in its HTB.

Complete farce in every facet the rules and interpretation at the moment.

In typical AFL style they saw a problem and went way too far on the fix.

Now we have dozens of chicken wing tackles every game and its a matter of time before players start getting busted shoulders and elbows.

All they had to do was ball it up quicker and that fixed everything, but to avoid admitting they ****ed up they added another confusing rule.

Holding The Ball rule (which includes incorrect disposal) is absolutely broken, because the AFL has placed the notion that play should be continuous over the No.1 fundamental of our game, ie you cannot throw the ball, you must kick or handball it.

The most recent change in interpretation came after the worst umpired game I think I’ve ever seen, where the focus got shifted post match by Hardwick singling out one certain decision/non-decision, and the AFL thought they could look like they were doing something while ignoring the main issue.

Holding The Ball rule (which includes incorrect disposal) is absolutely broken, because the AFL has placed the notion that play should be continuous over the No.1 fundamental of our game, ie you cannot throw the ball, you must kick or handball it.

The most recent change in interpretation came after the worst umpired game I think I’ve ever seen, where the focus got shifted post match by Hardwick singling out one certain decision/non-decision, and the AFL thought they could look like they were doing something while ignoring the main issue.
Some might say that favouring the guy who gets the ball is the No.1 fundamental of the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

The old holding the ball rules were better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back