Food, Drink & Dining Out The Perth Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 4 is here:

I'd be offering cheaper tickets than regular AFL season games. A lot of people can't afford to take their family to watch WC/Freo and/or can't get access to tickets.

We're still at half capacity now but $20 tickets or $50 for a 2 + 2 family when the stadium is going to be mostly empty seems like good business to me.
I think Carlton v Hawthorn were charging $60 for a family ticket in the top tier. Given a single ticket to an Eagles game in the same spot is $55, it’s a pretty good deal. Hoping it’s the same for the Battle of the (Matagarup) Bridge.

Corbin disagrees (with the WA bit at least)

Another clueless twat. We currently have four Victorian teams in WA, two NSW teams to come, more if necessary, and we are the only state performing in front of enough people to make real coin for the AFL. This attempted narrative that WA has done nothing for the AFL simply because McGowan wasn’t willing to risk our health outcomes and give them free run of the place is parochial nonsense.

I'm so torn on the WA grand final thing. It would be great for the state but I don't want the eagles cruising to another premiership.

But it would also be great to see the Vics moan about the eagles benefiting from a home ground advantage when they've spent the last 20 years trying to claim it doesn't exist in grand finals.

But I really don't want the eagles cruising to another premiership.

I'm so torn on the WA grand final thing. It would be great for the state but I don't want the eagles cruising to another premiership.

But it would also be great to see the Vics moan about the eagles benefiting from a home ground advantage when they've spent the last 20 years trying to claim it doesn't exist in grand finals.

But I really don't want the eagles cruising to another premiership.
Your first and third points are valid, but go with your second point :D

A WA GF not involving WC would also be interesting.

Not only is there 'no home ground advantage' in finals at the MCG travelling cross country doesn't have an impact. I'm sure Rich/Coll/whoever would love to play a prelim in Qld then a GF in Perth - assuming that was doable with the border rules.

estibador I don't want to tempt fate but if WC lost the only ever WA GF I'm sure you lot would get a lot out of that.
i'm not sure the risk v reward would be worth it though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does it really exist though? There's been 18 grand finals of Victorian clubs versus non-Victorian clubs and the non-Victorian clubs have won 9 of those - 50%.

1991 - Hawthorn d West Coast
1992 - West Coast d Geelong
1994 - West Coast d Geelong

1996 - North d Sydney
1997 - Adelaide d St. Kilda
1998 - Adelaide d North
2001 - Brisbane d Essendon
2002 - Brisbane d Collingwood
2003 - Brisbane d Collingwood

2007 - Geelong d Port
2012 - Sydney d Hawthorn
2013 - Hawthorn d Freo
2014 - Hawthorn d Sydney
2015 - Hawthorn d West Coast
2016 - Western Bulldogs d Sydney
2017 - Richmond d Adelaide
2018 - West Coast d Collingwood
2019 - Richmond d GWS

I can't think of too many examples where the Victorian team had a significant advantage because it was played at the MCG.

West Coast could feel slighted in 1991 after finishing three wins clear on top, but they lost the Qualifying Final at Subiaco.

Sydney finished two points clear on top in 1996, but flogged North in Melbourne in round eleven by 79 points.

No one was catching Geelong in 2007 so it wouldn't matter where that was played.

Hawthorn finished on top in 2013 and equal top with Sydney and Geelong in 2014, and Freo and West Coast both finished above Hawthorn in 2015, so that one was unfair.

Sydney finished on top in 2016 and Adelaide finished on top in 2017, so that was unfair.

Richmond won three more games than GWS last year.

Of those nine losing grand finals by non-Victorian clubs, I think only 2015, 2016 and 2017 were really unfair.

Does it really exist though? There's been 18 grand finals of Victorian clubs versus non-Victorian clubs and the non-Victorian clubs have won 9 of those - 50%.

1996 - North d Sydney
1998 - Adelaide d North

2007 - Geelong d Port
2012 - Sydney d Hawthorn
2013 - Hawthorn d Freo
2014 - Hawthorn d Sydney
2019 - Richmond d GWS

I can't think of too many examples where the Victorian team had a significant advantage because it was played at the MCG.

West Coast could feel slighted in 1991 after finishing three wins clear on top, but they lost the Qualifying Final at Subiaco.

Sydney finished two points clear on top in 1996, but flogged North in Melbourne in round eleven by 79 points.

No one was catching Geelong in 2007 so it wouldn't matter where that was played.

Hawthorn finished on top in 2013 and equal top with Sydney and Geelong in 2014, and Freo and West Coast both finished above Hawthorn in 2015, so that one was unfair.

Sydney finished on top in 2016 and Adelaide finished on top in 2017, so that was unfair.

Of those nine losing grand finals by non-Victorian clubs, I think only 2015, 2016 and 2017 were really unfair.

Of course it exists. Have a look at West Coast's record at Subiaco/WACA/Optus vs all other venues. Hawthorn 2015 are the only team to win a prelim in WA other than WC and Freo. Why does an extra week make a difference? We are 4-3 in GFs played at MCG/Waverley. Do you think that record would be any different if all GFs in the last 30 years were played in Perth?

Richmond in 2017 finished third and lost to Adelaide (1st), Geelong (2nd) and GWS (4th) away from home. They hit form late in the year but were kissed on the dick to get Geelong who are now MCG fairies and then GWS and Adelaide at the MCG in finals. They followed that up in 2018 finishing with 18 wins losing to Adelaide, Port, GWS, WC (eventual premier, and a flogging) away again. There is arguably more advantage in the first 3 weeks of finals to lower finishing Vic sides. If you are 3rd, 4th, 7th or 8th then away vs another MCG tenant is not the same prospect as a trip to Perth or Adelaide. The winner of the Geel/Coll QF last year knew that the prize for winning was a week off then all MCG finals ahead. That's a strong position to be in. If WC had two home finals and then a home GF (may potentially unfold that way this year) Victorians would shit bricks.

Worth noting that some GF teams are much stronger than others. Home team doesn't just win if the away team is a lot better. We played Geelong and Collingwood in the 2011 finals and a GF against either of those sides could be played anywhere and we'd still lose, but the gap between us and the Pies in 2018 was a lot less. Play that game 10 times and it's probably 5-5.

1996 - North d Sydney
1998 - Adelaide d North

2007 - Geelong d Port
2012 - Sydney d Hawthorn
2013 - Hawthorn d Freo
2014 - Hawthorn d Sydney
2019 - Richmond d GWS

The advantage is not travelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back