The Perth Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

so, whats the latest big thing happening over there?
perthnow has a story about direct flights melb to busselton - wonder if they will do from more places
The big story over here is that a Summary of Eagles season so far is likely to be made into a Hollywood Movie starring Owen Wilson

The big story over here is that a Summary of Eagles season so far is likely to be made into a Hollywood Movie starring Owen Wilson
No Way Movie Trailer GIF by SHE'S FUNNY THAT WAY

ill play touk miller

was a nail VPA. they are about 6.7% from memory but there are plenty of venues around who don't charge much more than 12.50. I think $13 is about the most I've seen. also looks like it's 12 bucks for that Dingo Lager shit which has the taste and look of a low carb lager.

the dude who runs it is an astute hospitality operator. he was one of the OG runners of Little Creatures, runs Jetty or whatever at the old Rottnest ferry terminal in East Freo, has a good name around the place, trustworthy eye for trends but this place has no real model. it's got music louder than Ezra/Bird but none of the trendies. it's like a cosplay for suits. and this idea people who wear suit pants have more willingness to spend money than someone in appropriated dress pants is a bit naive.
Reckon you're paying $12-$13 for a regular Heineken or Corona in any city or inner-city bar these days. Put the word craft in front of it and you'll pay a few bucks more; $18 is still extortionate though.

Reckon you're paying $12-$13 for a regular Heineken or Corona in any city or inner-city bar these days. Put the word craft in front of it and you'll pay a few bucks more; $18 is still extortionate though.
something I notice is places pushing up Single Fin/Coopers to 11 and then having crafty stuff for barely a dollar more.

other day I was going round for round. mate comes back with Super Dry and it was $12.80 a pint. I was getting some b-list craft lager and it was just over 9 bucks. they love pumping up really bad beer lately.

No it's set up like an old 1880s heritage building that's had over a million bucks poured into it and then they've spent another 20 grand peeling half of it off. barely bomb shelters and 2 Euro buckets of lager.

tbh it's no too bad. staff are actually pretty good but I don't know in what circumstance you'd really return.

On that, has anyone ever actually gone to Gage Roads for a second time? I dont think I know a single person who has. will struggle worse than Running With Thieves throughout winter.
Well that’s absolutely disappointing. Was expecting fake ruins instead of just another bar.

Have only been to gage once and it was packed. I don’t live that way so it wouldn’t be a regular place to visit.

man, those prices bite.
People have had nothing else to do the last two years but felt an obligation to go out because no one else in the world could. people were fine dropping 14 bucks on a pint because they were out for a pint.

As tourists come back (I've already noticed a heap) and in six months when it's near summer, they'll have to pull their heads in. too many similar venues at the moment as well. there's about three templates for new venues in Perth and they're all losing their shine. reckon there's space for Italian/Greek-y big, airy, light bars (and that's not 1200 capacity sheds) slinging a simple menu and a few reliable beers.

Going to be interest how things pan out because the competition rn is mental. I think Creatures' new invigoration will be really good for them and Gage Roads will die in the arse.

Gage Roads is in an awkward spot unless you live in Freo or right on the Freo train line. I went once, it was good, will go again to catch up with some friends as it's kinda halfway. More of a very occasional destination than a regular. I imagine it will be pretty busy most Friday and Saturday nights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just came back from Sydney

no masks, to think living life as normal is now a luxury
Sydney has to be the worst city in the world. five million people puts it in the top 20 or so western locations and yet it has 0 nightlife, no one likes sport, and the rich-poor divide is American-equivalent. joint sucks hog pal.

just came back from Sydney

no masks, to think living life as normal is now a luxury

And here was I thinking that they still had to be worn on public transport, indoor music venues, hospitals, airports - so yer, normal

And here was I thinking that they still had to be worn on public transport, indoor music venues, hospitals, airports - so yer, normal

probably 1 in 30 wear masks everywhere

they weren't worn in raves (**** doof festival line up was across from the restaurant Felix), nor in restaurants, not in taxis or uber, none on the ferry, I can not confirm hospitals but probably 60% of people did wear masks at the airport and probably 75% on the flights.

Sydney has to be the worst city in the world. five million people puts it in the top 20 or so western locations and yet it has 0 nightlife, no one likes sport, and the rich-poor divide is American-equivalent. joint sucks hog pal.

Sydney is my favourite city in Australia in terms of natural charm and beauty. I lived on Balmoral Beach in the 90s and just loved the charm of the winding tree lined streets and the beautiful harbour. Not having to drive to work, probably meant I never endured the rat race of a big city.

30 years on, I agree it is getting too big but let's get real...........if you live more than 15km from Sydney/ Perth/ Melbourne..........you don't actually live in that city. In the case of Sydney, if you're don't live within walking distance of the harbour, you might as well leave. The same could be said for Perth and the distance to the river or beaches.

The nightlife in Sydney has improved dramatically, perhaps it is a post covid thing but they have fabulous restuarants, funky bars, raves and cafes slowly replacing the RSLs and old school pubs. They still have the big rugby league venues but you need a place for trash.

The wealth divide is very evident and the problem is clear and simple. If you have a $10m home (bought or inherited) and making 4% tax free asset growth per annum......that's $400k. You can borrow at 2% and make 7% on a bank dividend........meaning you make $500k per annum arbitrage (assuming 100% financed which is only actually 50% leverage on the house and shares). That's $900k per annum without working and circa half tax free. WE NEED A WEALTH TAX and death taxes with sensible thresholds like anything over $5m.

Last edited:
probably 1 in 30 wear masks everywhere

they weren't worn in raves (**** doof festival line up was across from the restaurant Felix), nor in restaurants, not in taxis or uber, none on the ferry, I can not confirm hospitals but probably 60% of people did wear masks at the airport and probably 75% on the flights.

So not quite the “luxury of normal living” that you spoke off

Why are you advocating for the removal of masks when evidence show they work.

Sydney is my favourite city in Australia in terms of natural charm and beauty. I lived on Balmoral Beach in the 90s and just loved the charm of the winding tree lined streets and the beautiful harbour. Not having to drive to work, probably meant I never endured the rat race of a big city.

30 years on, I agree it is getting too big but let's get real...........if you live more than 15km from Sydney/ Perth/ Melbourne..........you don't actually live in that city. In the case of Sydney, if you're don't live within walking distance of the harbour, you might as well leave. The same could be said for Perth and the distance to the river or beaches.

The nightlife in Sydney has improved dramatically, perhaps it is a post covid thing but they have fabulous restuarants, funky bars, raves and cafes slowly replacing the RSLs and old school pubs. They still have the big rugby league venues but you need a place for trash.

The wealth divide is very evident and the problem is clear and simple. If you have a $10m home (bought or inherited) and making 4% tax free asset growth per annum......that's $400k. You can borrow at 2% and make 7% on a bank dividend........meaning you make $500k per annum arbitrage (assuming 100% financed which is only actually 50% leverage on the house and shares). That's $900k per annum without working and circa half tax free. WE NEED A WEALTH TAX and death taxes with sensible thresholds like anything over $5m.
What Bank is giving you 7% on your money right now?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Perth Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back