The potential ramifications of a "dead rubber" game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Again, I was using Essendon as the example here because their result next could still have an impact on the finals ladder.

But in general, if a team chooses not to show up to a match (whether its in protest, to start preseason early, for strategic positioning on the ladder etc) what happens to the 4 points / %?

Following the OP's scenario if it eventuates, it would most likely be Fletcher's last AFL game and he breaks Simon Madden's record for most games played for Essendon, there will be plenty to play for if this is the case.

Essendon players could either be disinterested once it's confirmed they are put of finals or take out some frustration & have a real dip & get physical. Interesting to see what take they bring to it.

Following the OP's scenario if it eventuates, it would most likely be Fletcher's last AFL game and he breaks Simon Madden's record for most games played for Essendon, there will be plenty to play for if this is the case.

Very much this.

Will also see another milestone reached in that Alwyn Davey will run out for his 100th game.

I think we all saw last night how bloody well fired up Essendon was.

Hurley, Crameri and Daniher made many demanding leads and for the most part those were honoured.
The likes of Zaharakis and Goddard produced excellent performances to support the efforts of Watson, Melksham and Myers who have been our best as of late.

It was like the weight was lifted off the shoulders of the players clearly.

The team that does show up gets 4 points. Percentage is worked as normal, for and against get added on , so zero and zero.

The team that doesn't show up wouldn't need to bother showing up the next year either.

But isn't % calculated by total points for divided by total points against x 100?

Now this is what I am getting at. Using your process:

Team A has PF1500, PA 1000 - their current % = 150%

They then play Team B, who decides to not to show up.

Team A wins the game with a score line 500 - 0 as they just play around in a glorified training drill.

Team A's % now becomes PF 2000, PA 1000 - their % now rockets to 200%.

Imagine if teams C and D had similar % to team A going into the same round, but played teams E and F who actually showed up to the game and contested. Team A clearly has been advantaged by being able to inflate their % - surely the AFL wouldn't allow something like that to happen.

Even if the match was forced to go ahead and the score was 500 - 0, Richmond would get the 4 points however effectively a % couldn't be calculated on that game, or would they just add the points to the season total and calculate a % from that?

If your question was do Richmond play with no opposition and kick 500 points and get the percentege, no

There are standard rules for a forfeit

10.7.2 consequence of forfeiture
Where a Team forfeits a Match, the following shall apply:
(a) the points for the Match shall be awarded to the Team
who did not forfeit the Match; and
(b) at the conclusion of the Home and Away Matches:
(i) the percentage of the Team who did not forfeit
the Match shall be adjusted by crediting and
debiting that Team with the average number of
points for the Home and Away Matches that were
scored for and against the Team who did forfeit
the Match; and
(ii) the percentage of the Team who did forfeit the
Match shall be adjusted by crediting and debiting
that Team with the average number of points for
the Home and Away Matches that were scored for
and against the Team who did not forfeit the Match.

But you can bet if Essendon didn't show there would be some more serious sanctions thrown there way.

they'll bother to turn up because it's their job and they're getting paid to.
i won't be getting 4 points for turning up to work tomorrow morning, but i'm still planning to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If your question was do Richmond play with no opposition and kick 500 points and get the percentege, no

There are standard rules for a forfeit

But you can bet if Essendon didn't show there would be some more serious sanctions thrown there way.

What's the charge for bringing the game into mega-mega disrepute?

Eventually the players will grow old and die though. There hasn't been a cure for death yet. So why even bother breathing? Are they are playing for these fictitious creations that beings other than themselves invented? like 'currency' or 'game points'? It makes no sense....

How is that any different to, say, the game right now between Richmond and GWS? Richmond have plenty to play for, GWS don't. In fact GWS would arguably be better off losing, whereas Essendon would be unquestionably better off winning next week.

A better question is why would Fremantle bother turning up against St. Kilda. They will have to travel to Melbourne the following week for finals most likely anyway. Why risk going over there?

This is a good point. Freo will finish either 3rd of 4th which means they will either play geelong or hawthorn, between whom i doubt they would have a preference. You would think that their motivation to send any decent players to Melbourne would be very low. This year is rather anti-climatic in the sense that almost everything is locked in place prior to the final round. Top 4 has been settled since last week. Top 8 also. Home finals are now locked in. Its only a matter of who plays who and even within that I dont see any significant benefits standing out and motivating teams to go above and beyond for the win in the final round. The only limited excitement surrounds Carlton and North and the possibility of Essendon being stripped of points.

That's what I'm asking. What does the AFL do if a team effectively forfeits (points and %)?
We have been playing this game for 140 years and every season there has been dead rubbers at the end of the season where teams have absolutely nothing to play for. Somehow it hasn't been a problem. Why do you think it will be a problem now?

If the AFL is so worried about it being a dead rubber, they will announce the points stripping after the game next week not before.

Very much this.

Will also see another milestone reached in that Alwyn Davey will run out for his 100th game.

I think we all saw last night how bloody well fired up Essendon was.

Hurley, Crameri and Daniher made many demanding leads and for the most part those were honoured.
The likes of Zaharakis and Goddard produced excellent performances to support the efforts of Watson, Melksham and Myers who have been our best as of late.

It was like the weight was lifted off the shoulders of the players clearly.
Alwyn Davey up to 100 games? :eek:
For 90% of the game Carlton were all over you, and if they kicked even half the ones they missed, they'd have smashed you
And you were fired up?

If the AFL is so worried about it being a dead rubber, they will announce the points stripping after the game next week not before.

It would have to be immediately after I would imagine, just say they announce on the Monday or Tuesday then the 9th place team is well behind in preparation for week 1 of the finals.

I doubt next week's game will be very different to the one we just had.
To be honest I will be surprised if they decide to strip the points and impose any suspensions/sanctions before next Saturday, it just creates to much controversy and probably doesn't make that much difference anyway.

A better question is why would Fremantle bother turning up against St. Kilda. They will have to travel to Melbourne the following week for finals most likely anyway. Why risk going over there?

We've been mulling this over in a resting players conversation on our boards. Momentum vs recouperation. With the Mark Harvey tactical triumph in Launceston a few years back, and no possible shift in final positions, sending a B team would be perfectly acceptable if it was considered more beneficial.

We've been mulling this over in a resting players conversation on our boards. Momentum vs recouperation. With the Mark Harvey tactical triumph in Launceston a few years back, and no possible shift in final positions, sending a B team would be perfectly acceptable if it was considered more beneficial.

I reckon from next season onwards round 23 should be a derby so there is no problem travelling interstate for a dead rubber when a finals spot is guaranteed. If I was Freo I would leave it up to the players, if they think their routine will be broken then play them, if they want a week off let them have it.

Remove this Banner Ad

The potential ramifications of a "dead rubber" game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back