Mega Thread The Questions Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting question. Did you know the parent? I went to a mates parents funeral once and even though they said they were fine with it it became obvious afterwards they had an issue with it because I didn't have a relationship with the parent.
I'll share my thoughts in a little while, I'd like to see some other perspectives first

I'll share my thoughts in a little while, I'd like to see some other perspectives first
It's a tough one because even if you ask beforehand you may not get an honest answer which is understandable considering they are usually in the midst of some pretty stressful grief. Since that time I made the desicion not to attend unless I had a relationship with the parent or there is an obvious expectation that I attend.

I’d only go if I had some sort of relationship with the parents. As for the religious aspect I wouldn’t have thought it would matter unless you really dislike the religion but again I’d probably put those beliefs aside in the case of a funeral. I’m not religious and I go to funerals at churches.

I’d only go if I had some sort of relationship with the parents. As for the religious aspect I wouldn’t have thought it would matter unless you really dislike the religion but again I’d probably put those beliefs aside in the case of a funeral. I’m not religious and I go to funerals at churches.
Catholic funerals have a better chance of a decent wake.

Interesting question. Did you know the parent? I went to a mates parents funeral once and even though they said they were fine with it it became obvious afterwards they had an issue with it because I didn't have a relationship with the parent.
I don't know why anyone would have an issue - you're there to support the friend if you didn't know the parents well.

Yeah that's what I thought too but.. I dunno people are people? By issue I mean a vibe more than anything. They just mentioned it a couple of times on different occasions afterwards and I was like hmmm ok.
Weird. Could have been something that happened. You wore clothes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay so the reason I asked is because I went to the funeral of my friend's dad today. I've known her/worked with her for over ten years - had never met her dad before but have supported her through his battle with cancer etc.

I was very shocked that none of her other friends attended. I just thought it was a given that friends would go to support each other. I'm wondering if it's because of where it was held and they maybe felt awkward.

Okay so the reason I asked is because I went to the funeral of my friend's dad today. I've known her/worked with her for over ten years - had never met her dad before but have supported her through his battle with cancer etc.

I was very shocked that none of her other friends attended. I just thought it was a given that friends would go to support each other. I'm wondering if it's because of where it was held and they maybe felt awkward.
Is she Muslim?

To be honest, I have only had one close friend have a parent pass away and they had a small funeral for just family and family friends. I honestly don't know whether I would have gone if they had a bigger one.

If I think about whether I would want any of my mates to attend either of my parent's funeral I would say no. It is my time to grieve and being an introvert I would rather be left alone to deal with it on my own.

Interesting discussion.

I have been once for the father of someone I was good friends with at the time and I knew other people who were going so it made it easier to go. I can't remember ever talking to his father, maybe said hello to him a few times.

I don't see how it could be an issue unless it's close family/invite only which I attended one a few years ago for an Uncle. I've been to other funerals of people I hardly knew but it's about paying respect for the deceased and supporting those who knew them.

Last edited:

In a Mosque, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason.

Or maybe it wasn't clear that anyone could attend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back