Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

After an exhausting season, I’m off to Byron Bay for a week to recover

Hopefully I can rest up enough to be ready for trade season
Enjoy mate

What do people think Maynard should cop for the hit on Brayshaw ? I say 3 weeks.
0, and an apology from the AFL for letting it get this far. It was a smother with accidental contact, not at all the same as a bump or a dangerous tackle.

Contact was accidental when Mitchito got knocked out earlier in the year, and they had nothing (righfully so) to worry about. Same with this. Unfortunate accident, that doesn't deserve to be punished.

Gee wizz! Looking fresh, Dard Ball Get!

My insta algorithm is cooked with this this. I shave my head so have in the past watched a few barber tutorials and now it’s all I ****ing get.

Having said that, never seen that before.

What do people think Maynard should cop for the hit on Brayshaw ? I say 3 weeks.
I said this to a mate today.

Phantom13s take with no mro/shithousery I think he should be free to play. He’s attempted to smother and the contact to the head is incidental from that. As a comparison, Van Rooyen threw an elbow that was deliberate as **** and got a week.

Phantom13s take with any sort of consistency with the MRO/tribunal, it’s 3 weeks, he braces/bumps, hits the head, causes concussion. The afl has made these rules now and they have to find a way to make it actually consistent.

My insta algorithm is cooked with this this. I shave my head so have in the past watched a few barber tutorials and now it’s all I ******* get.

Having said that, never seen that before.

I said this to a mate today.

Phantom13s take with no mro/shithousery I think he should be free to play. He’s attempted to smother and the contact to the head is incidental from that. As a comparison, Van Rooyen threw an elbow that was deliberate as * and got a week.

Phantom13s take with any sort of consistency with the MRO/tribunal, it’s 3 weeks, he braces/bumps, hits the head, causes concussion. The afl has made these rules now and they have to find a way to make it actually consistent.
Tribunal has already said players are allowed to brace for contact in order to protect themselves. It wasn't a bump, although that may just be semantics at this point.

I don't see what the benefit is to ban players from the game for accidents like this, it's not going to change the way anyone plays. It's needless and not good for the sport.

0, and an apology from the AFL for letting it get this far. It was a smother with accidental contact, not at all the same as a bump or a dangerous tackle.

Contact was accidental when Mitchito got knocked out earlier in the year, and they had nothing (righfully so) to worry about. Same with this. Unfortunate accident, that doesn't deserve to be punished.
If this exact same thing had happened in an intra-club scratch match and Pendlebury was kicking the ball, do you think
Maynard would have turned, braced and hip and shouldered him to the head and knocked him out ?

Tribunal has already said players are allowed to brace for contact in order to protect themselves. It wasn't a bump, although that may just be semantics at this point.

I don't see what the benefit is to ban players from the game for accidents like this, it's not going to change the way anyone plays. It's needless and not good for the sport.
Not really though. Paddy got suspended for bracing. They have in the past suspended players for bracing when they had “other alternatives”. Maynard could have flopped or not turned. He made a conscious decision to brace, that to me is bumping (edit- under the afls definition and precedent)

I think the mro/tribunal is completely ****ed for what it’s worth and honestly no outcome would suprise me but they have for some time now suspended the outcome then reviewed the action. They can change it if they want (id embrace a complete overhaul of the system) but not live in season.

I wouldn’t suspend it (and I see why Chrisso didn’t want to) but I think under their rules they have to.

Also to be clear here I don’t think it’s good for the sport or will change anything, I’m only raising that under their own convoluted precedence letting him off would be completely perplexing and fly in the face of so many other decisions they’ve made. Having said that, they let Rampe off for running off his line to KO that bulldogs bloke so they clearly don’t give a shit about precedent

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this exact same thing had happened in an intra-club scratch match and Pendlebury was kicking the ball, do you think
Maynard would have turned, braced and hip and shouldered him to the head and knocked him out ?
Yes, because what else was he meant to do? Any other move risks clashing heads. And this isn't a video game, he can't simply change direction in mid air.

Yes, because what else was he meant to do? Any other move risks clashing heads. And this isn't a video game, he can't simply change direction in mid air.
He could have fended him off with outstretched hands into his chest for staters, then pushed him sideways so they miss each other.
You're talking like a Pies supporter mate.

He could have fended him off with outstretched hands into his chest for staters, then pushed him sideways so they miss each other.
You've watched the replay in slow motion too many times. Bracing for impact was realistically all he could do once he realised it was inevitable. The idea he should have spun around, or moved in a way that avoided impact just isn't realistic.

What would have made things worse is if they both got concussed. Or would that be preferable to you? Maynard bracing for impact avoided that outcome.

You've watched the replay in slow motion too many times. Bracing for impact was realistically all he could do once he realised it was inevitable. The idea he should have spun around, or moved in a way that avoided impact just isn't realistic.

What would have made things worse is if they both got concussed. Or would that be preferable to you? Maynard bracing for impact avoided that outcome.
I did play back in the day and laid a few out under a high ball deliberately and I could always pull out if I wanted to.
You only got a 15 metre penalty for arriving late in those days. Reckon hands into Brayshaw's chest was possible.
Maynards choice was to brace to protect himself - in doing so, he sacrifices Brayshaw. Maynard's choice to smother,
he wears the responsibility for the act. Had he actually smothered the ball ..........

To me he's always been a player that plays on the edge of aggression and toughness. I think the AFL want to stop that to be honest. Players are also judged on reputation as much as the act often. He's knocked a star player out of finals which already put a mark against his name and the controversy is making the AFL tribunal look like lottery system again. I think they'll give him 3 weeks.....but then again it's the AFL so he'll probably get a new award for being the greatest campaigner of the finals or something instead.

Truthfully the head knock double concussion would have been a better option for him to not get suspended

Watch it at normal speed

I have. Split second stuff I know but that's why they get paid the big bucks.
Biomechanist: Based on the numbers and research, it's difficult to conclusively say Maynard would've been able to make any conscious decision to reposition his body.
Biomechanist: I do not believe Maynard's body position at the time of impact can be considered part of any conscious decision.
Biomechanist: Once airbone, Maynard had no opportunity to avoid the collision.
The biomechanist says there's a 200-250 millisecond average reaction time for general population in a controlled setting, but is confident that time would be "impossible to achieve in a competitive arena."

He says Maynard would've had no more than 400 milliseconds to respond.

Do you know something about this that the expert doesn't?

"What else was he meant to do" is a bad argument.

He's a professional footballer with great sense of proprioception. He knew when he chose to leap to smother - in a way that most footballers have never done - that he was going to crash into Brayshaw when he landed. He still chose to do it.

So "what else was he meant to do"? Not make the crazy leap in the first place.

Do you know something about this that the expert doesn't?
Yes. I know something that an expert on the Collingwood payroll doesn't: he had time from having his hands fully
stretched above his head to turn side on and tuck his arm in and hit Brayshaw in the head with the point of his shoulder.
He had time to do all of that. The expert says you can't move once you're in the air. The campaigner has never been on a trampoline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back