Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Took my 12 year old son to the Olivia Rodrigo concert last night. I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would but FMD teenage girls are like another species altogether.
Didn't the Taylor Swift concert earlier this year teach everyone that?

This is all a bit concerning. I've been feeding my girl a solid diet of 60's rock and 70's funk in the vein hope of avoiding this kind of stuff. If it hasn't worked for you then l think I'm in trouble.

My 14 year old son has really diverse taste in music. It's pretty cool. He's started collecting vinyl.

My 12 year old got into Billie Eilish last year. He then discovered Olivia and digs her too now. Both of them can't stand Taylor Swift. Olivia writes some ok songs and some have a rock feel to them. I didn't mind the gig (good, tight live band) but I'm pretty open minded. I'm sure my 12 year old's taste will develop as he gets older. I'm teaching him bass and he's having singing lessons so that will help. He's already got a bit of a band started. I'm helping them write original music. His drummer (bloody talented kid) is into the Foo Fighters so it'll be interesting to see how it all develops.

My 14 year old son has really diverse taste in music. It's pretty cool. He's started collecting vinyl.

My 12 year old got into Billie Eilish last year. He then discovered Olivia and digs her too now. Both of them can't stand Taylor Swift. Olivia writes some ok songs and some have a rock feel to them. I didn't mind the gig (good, tight live band) but I'm pretty open minded. I'm sure my 12 year old's taste will develop as he gets older. I'm teaching him bass and he's having singing lessons so that will help. He's already got a bit of a band started. I'm helping them write original music. His drummer (bloody talented kid) is into the Foo Fighters so it'll be interesting to see how it all develops.
Good stuff. Sounds like they're on the right path.

This is all a bit concerning. I've been feeding my girl a solid diet of 60's rock and 70's funk in the vein hope of avoiding this kind of stuff. If it hasn't worked for you then l think I'm in trouble.
It's not entirely in vain, but it is a losing battle - you cannot stop peer pressure. My kids have grown up on classic 70's and 80 's rock and heavy metal (Sabbath, Maiden, Metallica, etc). My daughter still went nuts over ****ing Harry Stiles.....makes me sick. Had thoughts of turning myself in at the local cop shop.....

It's not entirely in vain, but it is a losing battle - you cannot stop peer pressure. My kids have grown up on classic 70's and 80 's rock and heavy metal (Sabbath, Maiden, Metallica, etc). My daughter still went nuts over ****ing Harry Stiles.....makes me sick. Had thoughts of turning myself in at the local cop shop.....
I'm figuring it's about losing the battle in their teens to win the war when they've grown up. You'll never compete against school yard popularity but providing alternatives "should" win out if they take an interest.

The music industry doesn't choose good musicians, they choose a "person they can sell".
All the autotune and pitch correction just makes it easier to promote their pretty girl or guy, and harder for actual great singers to stand out.
Often good singers are also using those tools, and in practice it just makes them sound more generic.

The music industry doesn't choose good musicians, they choose a "person they can sell".
All the autotune and pitch correction just makes it easier to promote their pretty girl or guy, and harder for actual great singers to stand out.
Often good singers are also using those tools, and in practice it just makes them sound more generic.
Easy filtering mechanism for me. Auto tune goes on, song goes off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back