Toast The Renaissance of Travis Boak

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I turned the gws game on in the 2nd qtr, gws 0 goals, boak sprays one across goals & bingo, first goal opens the floodgates. Boak wins the ball ok, his contested work is still good but
His kicking kills us. In field play he takes a mark then holds it for 20 seconds allowing defenders to flood back then he chips a hospital ball 20m sideways that has the opposition buzzing for a fast break turnover. Every time he kicked it on the weekend he turned it over or held the ball so long & did a slow short sideways chip that killed our momentum. Every chain of play he is involved in he kills

Yeah, I turned the gws game on in the 2nd qtr, gws 0 goals, boak sprays one across goals & bingo, first goal opens the floodgates. Boak wins the ball ok, his contested work is still good but
His kicking kills us. In field play he takes a mark then holds it for 20 seconds allowing defenders to flood back then he chips a hospital ball 20m sideways that has the opposition buzzing for a fast break turnover. Every time he kicked it on the weekend he turned it over or held the ball so long & did a slow short sideways chip that killed our momentum. Every chain of play he is involved in he kills
I can recall another Boak kick after a mark (so he had plenty of time to balance) he took on the wing in the 1st qtr where with a short pass he went backwards and sideways to Ollie Wines and missed him by at least a couple of metres.

Even if the kick had hit Wines on the chest it would have been called play on because it travelled nowhere near the required distance and Wines had 3 opponents within touching distance of him at the time, so even if the kick had been accurate it would have been a low percentage play with little chance of success anyway.

He has to stop the side step and go with the first give. He has been hammered in tackles too often the last few games trying to pull the moves he got away with last decade.

Was great for us last night. Was all around the ball, had strong pressure and chopped out well in the midfield when butters went onto the wing to break the cincotta tag. It seemed every time the ball went forward, boak had some part in it. Whether it was a kick into the fifty, on the handball setup. Been in good form the last 3 weeks.

Was great for us last night. Was all around the ball, had strong pressure and chopped out well in the midfield when butters went onto the wing to break the cincotta tag. It seemed every time the ball went forward, boak had some part in it. Whether it was a kick into the fifty, on the handball setup. Been in good form the last 3 weeks.
His ball use & decision making throughout his career has been questionable at best, & the last 3 weeks have been no different. Other than that, he’s been a great club man.

Have to give this a bump after a really composed and clean 29 disposal performance in an ugly win last night. I'm super confident this guy can make it to the 400 club. Still inaccurate in front of goals but his f50 entries are much cleaner then what some are willing to give credit for.

And also a friendly reminder that he was the one who did an off season trip with JHF and is a significant part of the reason why he if flying right now.

Have to give this a bump after a really composed and clean 29 disposal performance in an ugly win last night. I'm super confident this guy can make it to the 400 club. Still inaccurate in front of goals but his f50 entries are much cleaner then what some are willing to give credit for.

And also a friendly reminder that he was the one who did an off season trip with JHF and is a significant part of the reason why he if flying right now.
From memory, he hit Ratugolea at least twice and JHF once inside 50 with beautiful passes. It really was an excellent performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was great last night. There is no doubt he would be at another level if he was a good shot at goal. Instead that will be remembered as a glaring weakness in his game. However his field kicking is better than many give credit for, his contested work when he is asked to play that role has always been first rate, and his fitness is at a level all players should be aspiring to.

You would never suggest that a player deserves a spot for setting training standards. But if anyone did it would be him. I think 400 might be beyond his grasp as he would have to play another two seasons after this one. Wherever he ends up all will agree he was the consummate club man and an example to everyone in preparation. IMO he was a better player than many gave him credit for when played to his strengths and a better player than most remember in many of our big games. He would have been 5x AA and a multiple premiership player if he had deserted us and gone back home to Geelong.

Finally, **** Matthews and his durability snipe. He would never have said that that about one of his Brisbane players with an equivalent record.
I hope he goes around again... he is clearly first 22.
Might depend on how the season ends and the drive he has. A flag and he might retire, no flag and his determination will see him go around again.
A flag and he might decide he wants two after playing 370 odd games to get just one! Motivation has never been an issue for him and I get the impression that he loves being around the club, the boys and playing top level football. Whether he would continue to be best 22 next year if Sinn improves or somebody shows through form they should replace him on the wing only time can tell. He may get some extra games as an experienced and superfit sub.

A flag and he might decide he wants two after playing 370 odd games to get just one! Motivation has never been an issue for him and I get the impression that he loves being around the club, the boys and playing top level football. Whether he would continue to be best 22 next year if Sinn improves or somebody shows through form they should replace him on the wing only time can tell. He may get some extra games as an experienced and superfit susub
Let's just hope if he gets a flag after 370 odd games it doesn't take that long for him to win a second!

That AFL.com article about Gunston's return to the Hawks this year and him being content to play half the season at Box mentoring/development coaching the next generation depending on how he holds up seems very relevant here.

Let's find a way to keep Boak on for one more year that respects his contribution and protects our interests at the same time.

Was probably our most consistent player over the 4 quarters on Saturday night. Didn't get the highs of JHF and Zak in some quarters, but didn't get their lows either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast The Renaissance of Travis Boak

Remove this Banner Ad

Back