The Rivalry Begins: West Sydney "brand campaign" launch at Sydney V Geelong Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Its an interesting one that. I find it weird you could go for one team in full anticipation you'll be abandoning it soon for another.

I suppose its a situation I have no experience of though.

I could understand if you were a true blue westie then you'd be keen to adopt a local team, although you'd have interesting feelings about your old team...

I'm not from the north/east so if I were still a young kid I think I'd end up going against the snob supporters and backing WS. As it is, I'm not from the real west either, so I'm sticking with the team I grew up with.

I hope WS have sweet jumpers. I'd love to see something like the Tennessee(UT) Orange and White Jerseys in the AFL, if they do it right I would almost certanly grab one, even though they are apparently Sydney's rival.

Here's a bit of a scoop for you guys. Roosy is having a live chat on the Swans site right now. I asked him this question:

[Comment From Andrew ]

Word is the club isn't too happy about the apparent West Sydney Club launch at the game on Saturday night. What's your take?

Paul Roos: Unhappy would be an understatement.

I'm a better journo than Hutchy.

You and me both Legend, asking him the hard hitting questions, unlike "What school play did you perform in"

Apparently he gave an Emmy-winning performance though. ;)

But yeah, great to see him lashing out at WS18, especially as he won't have a chance to coach against them.

I hope WS have sweet jumpers. I'd love to see something like the Tennessee(UT) Orange and White Jerseys in the AFL, if they do it right I would almost certanly grab one, even though they are apparently Sydney's rival.

I'm hoping for green and orange. Multiple clubs wear primary colours (red, blue, yellow/gold), Freo have secondary colours purple/violet and a little green. No club wears orange.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

doubtful that they will get 50k to that game

And the whole idea sounds like robbing Peter to pay Paul

If it isnt 50000 it will be pretty damn close too. The swans have started playing some good footy Geelong not playing so good and we win this we have a chance at finals (I admit the pies do stand in our way). It is also supposed to be fine and warmish night with 28 predicted for Sunday as well.

It's been a very mild winter up here - and yes, 28 is the forecast for Sunday. Thank goodness Swans v Geelong is on Saturday night not Sunday 1:00.

I'd love to see 50,000 on Saturday night, and I'll be there; but there's no chance we'll get anywhere near it. Even Collingwood, who bring twice as many up here as Geelong do, only got 40,000. I estimate we'll get somewhere around 35,000.

Word is Kevin Sheedy is the keynote and over 500 are booked in for the event. Sponsorship packages to be launched. Designed to get companies to an AFL game to see how it works. Many will have never been to an AFL game and will enable them to get a taste. Expect more nights like this next year.

I've got to ask the question. GC are TAC cup this year, VFL next year, then AFL the year after that. So shouldn't WS be TAC cup next year? Where are they going to get their kids from? Or have they got them and I never noticed?

I've got to ask the question. GC are TAC cup this year, VFL next year, then AFL the year after that. So shouldn't WS be TAC cup next year? Where are they going to get their kids from? Or have they got them and I never noticed?

May skip the TAC Cup stage. There is no official WS team yet, that's what this launch is all about. Maybe they will play TAC Cup next year, and will begin recruiting after tomorrow night. Does seem to be cutting it a touch fine though.

Same at Grammar, we had a team a few years back only because a teacher put it together on his own time. We played teams like Shore and Knox who we thrashed, and then also played Riverview who are actually a decent side, DESTROYED us.
At St Andrews years back when the Swans made the 96 GF we petitioned the HM and sports dept and got to play a few games against schools like Marist Nth Sydney and then Riverview who massacred us. Pity there was nothing formal back then wouldve loved to have played AR on a Saturday for school

Remove this Banner Ad

The Rivalry Begins: West Sydney "brand campaign" launch at Sydney V Geelong Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back