The Rumour Mill

Remove this Banner Ad

BREAKING GOSSIP
1136 BST: Manchester City midfielder Dietmar Hamann is interested in a move to 1860 Munich. The 35-year-old German, who last played for City in December, said: "I could see myself playing there. I want to carry on playing for another two years."
Full story: Setanta Sports
1027 BST: Newcastle defender Sebastien Bassong is in talks with two clubs regarding a summer move. (Sky Sports website)
1016 BST: Manchester City target and former Arsenal striker Julio Baptista wants to stay with Roma. He said: "I signed a four-year contract with Roma and I want to remain and help the team do better." (Press Association)
0958 BST: Zinedine Zidane, French legend and adviser at Real Madrid, says negotiations to sign Bayern Munich star Franck Ribery are "on the right track".
"I am for Ribery coming to Madrid and I will do everything to make that happen," Zidane told French newspaper Le Parisien.
Full story: Le Parisien (in French)
0927 BST: Ajax centre-back Thomas Vermaelen will have a medical at Arsenal on Friday ahead of signing a four-year deal.
"The signature is not there yet, but everything is in order," Vermaelen told Belgium newspaper Gazet van Antwerpen.
0807 BST: Former Newcastle United boss Kevin Keegan could be set for a return to management at Southampton after being spotted holding a meeting with Saints legend Matt Le Tissier and former chairman Lee Crouch.
Full story: Southern Daily Echo
0801 BST: Valencia striker David Villa has told his club he wants to move to Real Madrid and nowhere else. (Sky Sports)
0753 BST: Jermaine Pennant, loaned to Portsmouth from Liverpool last season, is a possible target for Manchester City to provide competition for winger Shaun Wright-Phillips.
Full story: Guardian

TRANSFER GOSSIP
Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o is edging closer to a Manchester City move with wage demands of £192,000 a week, after tax, being weighed up by the Premier League club.
Full story: Daily Mail
The chase for Franck Ribery has found the green light again following the latest words by Bayern Munich president Franz Beckenbauer.
With Manchester United, Chelsea and Barcelona waiting in the wings, chairman of the German club Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said a few days ago the French midfielder would not be sold, but Beckenbauer has revealed: "If he really wants to leave, we will deal with the issue."
Full story: Daily Star
Man United are considering a move for Arsenal striker Robin van Persie who is yet to sign a new contract.
With one year remaining on his current deal, the Dutch star is desperate to win more silverware and said money was not everything.
Full story: The Sun
Birmingham boss Alex McLeish has confirmed he made an enquiry about taking on former Rangers captain Barry Ferguson. (Daily Record)
Javier Mascherano's future at Liverpool hangs in the balance with news the midfielder's agent has held talks with Barcelona.
Man United and Arsenal target Lyon forward Karim Benzema looks set to stay with the French club for at least another year after committing his immediate future to the French outfit before going on holiday. (Daily Express)
Tottenham have been talking to Real Madrid about a proposal to subsidise Arjen Robben's wages in return for the Dutch winger moving to White Hart Lane.
Full story: The Independent
Aston Villa midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker is being used as bait with manager Martin O'Neill eyeing up Tottenham's Tom Huddlestone.
Full story: Daily Mirror
Sporting Lisbon are set to make a second offer for Man City's Felipe Caicedo after Mark Hughes' club rejected their initial bid of £5m for the striker. (Daily Mirror)
Meanwhile, Man City have denied Brazilian superstar Robinho will join Barcelona on a loan deal. Chief executive Garry Cook said: "The story is completely without foundation." (The Times)
AC Milan playmaker Andrea Pirlo fancies a move to Chelsea. The 30-year-old said: "Perhaps it's possible that I could join (Blues boss Carlo) Ancelotti. Maybe it's time for a new chapter in my career."

OTHER GOSSIP
Chelsea are ready to appeal over the Uefa four-match ban dished out to striker Didier Drogba for his behaviour in last season's Champions League semi-final with Barcelona. (Various)
Gunners star Emanuel Eboue is set to reject a transfer to Italy and fight for his place. (Daily Mirror)
Portsmouth centre-back Sol Campbell is mulling over an offered 50% wage cut to stay at Fratton Park, with Basel and Fenerbahce also attracting interest in the former England star.
Full story: The Times

AND FINALLY
Following Ronaldo's agreed record-breaking move from Manchester United, agent Jorge Mendes is locked in talks with Real Madrid over bonus payments based on sponsorship and other commercial deals.
The Spanish club have also been asked to smash their image rights pay structure.

0807 BST: Former Newcastle United boss Kevin Keegan could be set for a return to management at Southampton after being spotted holding a meeting with Saints legend Matt Le Tissier and former chairman Lee Crouch.
Full story: Southern Daily Echo

Sky Sports are now reporting that as well. It would be a very big coup for the club and probably one of the first bits of good news that we've received in the last 4 years.

I'd love it if he joined us. I'd love it. :eek:

Rumours that he may be offered the job as Southgate's assistant now that Crosby finally got the flick.

That would be fantastic, he's very likeable and has the experience we need. It would also make for a smooth transition when we are 12th after ten games

yeh.....somehow I doubt it but hey, dream on anyway. :D

I know you are a Real fan, but are you seriously expecting a whole lot from a team that is buying attackers when it CLEARLY needs defenders?

To buy Ribery would be crazy. Where is he going to fit in? A team that had say Kaka, Ronaldo, Ribery and Villa in it (Not to mention Higuain who IMO was a star last season) has way too many attackers.

I know you are a Real fan, but are you seriously expecting a whole lot from a team that is buying attackers when it CLEARLY needs defenders?

To buy Ribery would be crazy. Where is he going to fit in? A team that had say Kaka, Ronaldo, Ribery and Villa in it (Not to mention Higuain who IMO was a star last season) has way too many attackers.

If they buy Ribery as well you'd have to say they'll be very very hard to stop. If they played a 4-2-3-1 with an attack of...

----------Villa------------
Ribery----Kaka----Ronaldo

who can stop it if all are playing well? They just need to cover it with two defensive mids. It mightn't work (although I think it will), but hell, it'll be enjoyable to watch. Good luck to them :)

If they buy Ribery as well you'd have to say they'll be very very hard to stop. If they played a 4-2-3-1 with an attack of...

who can stop it if all are playing well? They just need to cover it with two defensive mids. It mightn't work (although I think it will), but hell, it'll be enjoyable to watch. Good luck to them :)

Agree apart from the good luck to them bit :D

Yeah they'll probably play similarly to how Barcelona have played last season with:
Henry----Eto'o-----Messi
---------Iniesta---------

It's attacking, but nothing extraordinary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

four players who can't defend and that formation suits villa about as well as any guy wearing pink. (take note sam newman)

shit team.

unlikeable history.

BREAKING GOSSIP
1207 BST: Liverpool defender Andrea Dossena's agent believes Juventus will decide by next week whether to make a bid for the 27-year-old Italian.
Full story: Goal.com
1140 BST: Birmingham City are set to complete the record signing of 23-year-old Ecuador striker Christian Benitez next week for an initial fee of £6.2m.
Full story: Birmingham Mail
1045 BST: West Ham are keen on securing a loan deal for Inter Milan's Italian Under-21 international striker Mario Balotelli.

1041 BST: Barcelona keeper Victor Valdes will not be heading to Manchester United with news that the 27-year-old is set to sign a contract extension until 2015. (Setanta Sports)
0936 BST: West Ham United want to sign Chilean midfielder Luis Jimenez from Serie A champions Inter Milan.
Boss Gianfranco Zola told La Gazzetta dello Sport: "He is one of those lads who play the way I like. It's not easy to sign non-EU players in England but I think these problems can be solved."

TRANSFER GOSSIP
Manchester United, Real Madrid and Chelsea are on standby to swoop for Lyon striker Karim Benzema.
The president of the French club Jean-Michael Aulas admitted: "He has been approached. For the moment, I managed to convince them not to go further."
Full story: The Independent

Chelsea could be set to wreck Liverpool's hopes of signing Glen Johnson with Portsmouth executive chairman Peter Storrie saying: "Glen has got permission to speak to two clubs".
The future of striker Carlos Tevez still hangs in the balance with just two weeks remaining on his loan deal at Manchester United, but he could still stay at Old Trafford - if the club make him the highest paid player.
Manchester City have agreed an £18m deal to sign Blackburn forward Roque Santa Cruz.
Newcastle United have slapped a £10m price tag on defender Sebastien Bassong with Tottenham and Arsenal leading the chase.
Manchester City still wait anxiously to see if striker Samuel Eto'o will be heading their way from Barcelona, but Inter Milan are keen on ruining Mark Hughes' party.
West Brom are lining up an audacious bid for former Liverpool star Luis Garcia.
Bayern Munich are closing in on Chelsea defender Jose Bosingwa.
Bordeaux striker Marouane Chamakh is being checked out by Arsenal as a possible replacement for Emmanuel Adebayor who could be off to AC Milan.
Sunderland are close to securing Manchester City defender Richard Dunne for £5m.
Crystal Palace have won the race to sign striker Freddie Sears on loan from West Ham. (The Sun)
Fulham have moved closer to signing Wigan midfielder Paul Scharner for £4m.
Wigan are poised to battle it out with Celtic for the services of Hibernian striker Steven Fletcher. (The Sun)
Celtic and Ipswich are vying for the services of Cobreloa striker Eduardo Vargas. (The Sun)

OTHER GOSSIP
Kevin Keegan is being lined up for a return to football with Southampton.
The Pinnacle consortium, poised to take charge of the Saints, want the former England and Newcastle boss to be part of the team.
Burnley director Brendan Flood says Celtic tried to prise manager Owen Coyle away from them within an hour of the English club's promotion to the Premier League. (Daily Express)
Former Celtic and West Ham striker Paolo Di Canio will this week become head coach of Romanian club Poli Iasi. (Daily Express)
Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez faces a massive headache with Xabi Alonso the latest player to eye Anfield's exit door, following news that Javier Mascherano's agent met with Barcelona this week.
Full story: Daily Express
Former Manchester United striker Ruud Van Nistelrooy has told his team-mates Arjen Robben and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar to leave Real Madrid and head for Spurs.
Full story: Daily Star
Chief executive Gordon Smith says the Scottish FA would demand compensation from the Government if it was forced to hand live international matches to terrestial broadcasters instead of satellite channels. (Various)

AND FINALLY
Newcastle United are committed to paying their players a £10m bonus less than six weeks after relegation from the top flight.

Rumour is Aurelio injured himself on holidays - and will miss a couple of months.

This bloke IS THE SINGLE most injured player in history. :rolleyes:

http://goal.com/en/news/12/spain/20...-valencia-declare-that-david-villa-is-not-for

now that's just bs. if he wasn't for sale then they should've just said so instead of this merry-go-round of transfer rumours. ffs

maybe that's what villa told his agent. that he's not interested in a move at all.

I think that people are putting 2 and 2 together as Bosingwa looks like he is on the way out, and you need a replacement.
on his way out?

serious? his first season there and he's mooted as leaving?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Rumour Mill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back