The song that turned you off a band.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian Crawl, Two Can Play - strayed from their roots and aimed for a "big band" sound, but the melange of musical elements sounded almost discordant. Between A Rock And A Hard Place cost a fortune to record, was a commercial disaster and brought about the end for one of the country's most popular bands.

I second the nomination for Midnight Oil - "Dead Heart". Dead heart is an apt description for how many Oils fans felt when this soft rock crap hit the airwaves. What a let down from the band that could do no wrong...

I loved the Rolling Stones. Great band. Even when they were in decline in the late 70's, early 80's. I didn't mind their singles from that era: Emotional Rescue, Start Me up and Undercover of the Night. But then Mick Jagger went solo and released crap like She's The Boss, Just Another Night, the duet with Bowie (Dancing in the Streets). The Stones eventually made another album, "Dirty Work" with one of their worst singles ever: Harlem Shuffle. By this stage, I thought they were a joke.

I loved the early U2 albums like "Boy", "War" and 'Unforgettable Fire". My favourite band from that time. I also loved the first couple of singles from "The Joshua Tree", but Bono started to annoy me with the song "I Still Haven't Found What I'm looking For". It's a good song, but it wasn't really what attracted me to the band in the first place. Then they released the abortion titled "Rattle & Hum". Total sell-out. Rubbish. Their next album, "Achtung Baby" is one of the classics. I enjoyed it immensely, loved the experimental vibe, but they'd lost me as a hardcore fan. Stopped listening after that.

Icehouse were pretty good. Classic first album when they were known as the Flowers. Solid follow-up albums with good tunes like "Great Southern Land" and "Don't Believe Anymore". Then they just got more and more bland and sappy. "No Promises", "Crazy" and "Electric Blue". Shit songs that made Iva Davies a millionaire.

I like The Cure. They released a stream of classic singles and albums. Then there was that piece of shit "Why Can't I Be You?" with singer Robert Smith dancing around in a fuzzy bear costume and whining in that falsetto. Pure self-parody. They'd become MTV clowns.

I was a massive Metallica fan from when I first heard "Ride The Lightning". Wore out all their albums. I even liked the Bob Rock-produced 'black album' which man fans derided as a sell out. It had some good heavy songs opn there and some good heavy rock ballad tunes, not really my cup of tea, but they were okay

Then came the album, "Load" with pedal steel country rubbish and James Hetfield crooning, "Let this heart go"

"Load" of shit, more lime it

I was a massive Metallica fan from when I first heard "Ride The Lightning". Wore out all their albums. I even liked the Bob Rock-produced 'black album' which man fans derided as a sell out. It had some good heavy songs opn there and some good heavy rock ballad tunes, not really my cup of tea, but they were okay

Nothing Else Matters being played as background music at Westfield Doncaster signalled that they'd crossed over. To where, I'm not sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

The song that turned you off a band.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back