The Sportswashing mega thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

In reality that was decided on executive committee of 24 men half of whom have been arrested for bribery and corruption who had no stake in the decision and answered to nobody.

These days the host is voted on by all 211 FIFA member nations. They're all accountable to their own association so what happened with Qatar 2022 isn't going to happen again.

Good luck finding 111 votes that will accept another compromised season of club football. Good luck finding 111 voters who will accept a competition being played in the heat of a Middle East summer.
I'm sure a country with insane amounts of wealth could buy 111 countries votes. I wonder which country could do that

I'm sure a country with insane amounts of wealth could buy 111 countries votes. I wonder which country could do that

European nations simply won't vote for it no matter the money on offer, they won't compromise another season. East Asian nations won't. They'll only be able to buy votes from potentially South American associations and poorer nations from the second and third world. The only real support they'll get will be from fellow nations in the Middle East.

Lol. Maybe do an AFC / OFC wide tournament. 3 in Saudi 3 in Australia 3 in China 2 In Japan 2 in South Korea 2 in NZ 1 in Solomon Islands.

That way everyone's happy!

The way it's going will be a 64 country world cup soon. 48 teams just wont work for the group stage, so they will go back to 32 or up to 64.

I cant see Australia bidding against Saudi Arabia given the middle east influence on the AFC. Our best chance will be to get some games next time the eastern asian countries do bid though.

The way it's going will be a 64 country world cup soon. 48 teams just wont work for the group stage, so they will go back to 32 or up to 64.

I cant see Australia bidding against Saudi Arabia given the middle east influence on the AFC. Our best chance will be to get some games next time the eastern asian countries do bid though.

Saudi influence overrated. Japan / South Korea / Iran hate them. China is neutral. Australia on very good terms with Japan / Korea.

I can't see the tournament going back to the same region 12 years after 2022. The European nations won't accept a mid season world cup either. That cost them hugely last season.

Saudi influence overrated. Japan / South Korea / Iran hate them. China is neutral. Australia on very good terms with Japan / Korea.

I can't see the tournament going back to the same region 12 years after 2022. The European nations won't accept a mid season world cup either. That cost them hugely last season.
They will be OK with it if there pockets are full.

South east Asia including aus nz has to be attractive for fifa surely

Who cares where the actual final is

If a major aus city missed out they could host nrl and afl for a few weeks everyone’s happy

But giving a short time to put a bid in…multi countries can’t do that, so it’s a stitch up

But giving a short time to put a bid in…multi countries can’t do that, so it’s a stitch up
Absolutely

8 weeks to have full bids put together and the Saudis just happened to be ready to go as soon as the amounted was made. AFC chairman immediately gives full support.

This on the back of the first ever multi federation WC conveniently removing Europe, Africa and South America from rival bids.

Not hard to get the necessary votes when the game is tied so far in your favour that there's no one else to vote for

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely

8 weeks to have full bids put together and the Saudis just happened to be ready to go as soon as the amounted was made. AFC chairman immediately gives full support.

This on the back of the first ever multi federation WC conveniently removing Europe, Africa and South America from rival bids.

Not hard to get the necessary votes when the game is tied so far in your favour that there's no one else to vote for

From what I have read it's not 8 weeks to but a full bid in. It's 8 weeks to decide if a nation wants to bid for the tournament.

The tournament is 11 years away. No way could any nation on earth have a complete bid ready to go.

South east Asia including aus nz has to be attractive for fifa surely

Who cares where the actual final is

If a major aus city missed out they could host nrl and afl for a few weeks everyone’s happy

China / Australia / NZ is a bid too good for FIFA to refuse. It ticks every possible box for FIFA and the tournament can be hosted in June / July with absolutely no dramas. Time zones aren't even an issue for travel between China and Aus / NZ. 6 venues in China, 6 in Australia and 3 in NZ. About the only stadium with an AFL tennant required in that scenario is Adelaide Oval. An absolute piece of cake to organise.

The question is whether China would want to be involved in the bid. They don't seem that interested in WC 2034 at all for some reason. What I would like to know is how this multi continent WC2030 happened with 3 separate bids. Did FIFA just say listen guys - we're going to spread the tournament across 3 continents? Because I don't believe there was any collaboration at all.

They will be OK with it if there pockets are full.

UEFA nations happy with another compromised season? They absolutely reamed Qatar when the tournament was changed from summer to winter.

So now you need to convince UEFA to run another compromised season and now you need to pay off at least 111 member associations to win the hosting rights.

UEFA nations happy with another compromised season? They absolutely reamed Qatar when the tournament was changed from summer to winter.

So now you need to convince UEFA to run another compromised season and now you need to pay off at least 111 member associations to win the hosting rights.
The Saudi's have unlimited coin, you're absolutely kidding yourself if you think we're getting anywhere close to hosting a World Cup before they do.

Saudi Arabia have a lot of political levers to pull. UEFA & FIFA have been incredibly corrupt in the past. What's to stop it happening again? Didn't we just have Russia and Qatar World cups back to back?

I'm not convinced these leopards have changed their spots.

Saudi Arabia have a lot of political levers to pull. UEFA & FIFA have been incredibly corrupt in the past. What's to stop it happening again? Didn't we just have Russia and Qatar World cups back to back?

I'm not convinced these leopards have changed their spots.

Russia / Qatar tournaments were awarded by the 24 man FIFA Executive commitee. These guys are rich old men with no stake in who gets the hosting rights other than who can fill their bank accounts the most. Half of whom are now arrested or in jail for fraud.

That no longer happens with FIFA WC hosting. It goes to a vote from all 211 member associations. The Saudis also need to host in winter for climate reasons. UEFA have much more political clout in football than the Saudis ever will. UEFA nations will be mostly on our side for sure in the voting.

The Saudi's have unlimited coin, you're absolutely kidding yourself if you think we're getting anywhere close to hosting a World Cup before they do.

If unlimited money can buy Saudi whatever they want in the game they would just have paid to join UEFA. Hot tiip - they'll never join UEFA no matter how much money they offer.

The winter world cup thing is a non starter. You're kidding yourself if you think UEFA nations will accept a mid season world cup again.

Russia / Qatar tournaments were awarded by the 24 man FIFA Executive commitee. These guys are rich old men with no stake in who gets the hosting rights other than who can fill their bank accounts the most. Half of whom are now arrested or in jail for fraud.

That no longer happens with FIFA WC hosting. It goes to a vote from all 211 member associations. The Saudis also need to host in winter for climate reasons. UEFA have much more political clout in football than the Saudis ever will. UEFA nations will be mostly on our side for sure in the voting.
Yes but countries can lean on other countries to influence their voting and actions.

If unlimited money can buy Saudi whatever they want in the game they would just have paid to join UEFA. Hot tiip - they'll never join UEFA no matter how much money they offer.

The winter world cup thing is a non starter. You're kidding yourself if you think UEFA nations will accept a mid season world cup again.
I'd put my house on England voting for Saudi Arabia.

Yes but countries can lean on other countries to influence their voting and actions.

There are plenty of countries that simply won't vote for Saudi Arabia no matter what kickbacks are offered up.

Good luck getting Israel to vote for them for example. And Israel have considerable influence among other UEFA members and who they vote for.

I'd put my house on England voting for Saudi Arabia.

If the hosting comes down to Australia / NZ or Saudi Arabia hosting a mid season world cup I'm happy to put 100 pounds down now on England voting for Australia / NZ. Long term bet hahaha.

Before you accept you might want to see what Scudamore tried to do with Qatar 2022. And thats a tournament that the FA had no say on.

Mate, you said we would never have had Qatar. And yet lo and behold...

Remove this Banner Ad

The Sportswashing mega thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back