The Stadium!

What kind of stadium do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

2 posts in 5 years!!! You really are invested in footy aren't you. ;)
We shall see. Its the clear economic favorite at this stage. Stadium 1.0 is still a mystery. We know where, just not when & how.
The politics is getting played out as we speak.
I hope commonsense prevails.

I hope common sense prevails too. But in my case I hope that 2.0 is avoided at almost all costs because it will never happen as promised. Its a property speculation with massive risks and massive unknowns. Sure 1.0 Mac Point has unknowns now too, but the land is understood in far more detail than 2.0, it does not go over water too.
With 2.0 the taxpayer loses control and would be left holding the baby financially when it does not deliver.
Lets see what 1.0 looks like when it gets delivered.

I hope common sense prevails too. But in my case I hope that 2.0 is avoided at almost all costs because it will never happen as promised. Its a property speculation with massive risks and massive unknowns. Sure 1.0 Mac Point has unknowns now too, but the land is understood in far more detail than 2.0, it does not go over water too.
With 2.0 the taxpayer loses control and would be left holding the baby financially when it does not deliver.
Lets see what 1.0 looks like when it gets delivered.

You haven't seen the plans of Stadium 2.0, its financials nor any comparison to Stadium 1.0. When you see the Hobart City Council which never gets full council agrees on anything, ie negative Green group V pro business Marti Zucco group, They were in full support for Stadium 2.0. They saw the business plan, all the engineering work & full financials. Also the RSL & local businesses see the benefits of 2.0.
So we'll get a comparison soon enough. Stadium 1.0 will need to be very convincing.

About time.
We'll they be able to properly assess the competing stadium proposals.
MacPoint 1.0 Building a decent stadium within budget. With Income streams spelled out to pay for the ultimate cost.
MacPoint 2.0 A Private Public Partnership (PPP) with a guaranteed maximum Public input of $715million & risk on the Private investor side.
I'm looking forward to see the debate/discussion.

A Public Private Partnership is hard without the "public" part.

There wont be any state or federal money committed to 2.0. This is extremely well established.

AFL wont be pivoting, and they've made this public.

EOI process for private backers will be open for 1.0 in the coming weeks, as per the PAC hearing yesterday.

We already know Plenary Group is very keen to bid.

You haven't seen the plans of Stadium 2.0, its financials nor any comparison to Stadium 1.0. When you see the Hobart City Council which never gets full council agrees on anything, ie negative Green group V pro business Marti Zucco group, They were in full support for Stadium 2.0. They saw the business plan, all the engineering work & full financials. Also the RSL & local businesses see the benefits of 2.0.
So we'll get a comparison soon enough. Stadium 1.0 will need to be very convincing.

Again, what "full financials"? There is no public money, therefore no public ownership of this asset or development.

Its forgotten that the government originally wanted Regatta Point, then went to Mac Point because Regatta Point was going to be too large and costly a task.

Why pray tell would they now ditch Mac Point and go back to Regatta Point? They also don't own the land.

We all want the same thing. A Tasmanian team playing out of a new world class Hobart stadium, but 2.0 just aint it.

Noticed
A Public Private Partnership is hard without the "public" part.

There wont be any state or federal money committed to 2.0. This is extremely well established.

AFL wont be pivoting, and they've made this public.

EOI process for private backers will be open for 1.0 in the coming weeks, as per the PAC hearing yesterday.

We already know Plenary Group is very keen to bid.

Again, what "full financials"? There is no public money, therefore no public ownership of this asset or development.

Its forgotten that the government originally wanted Regatta Point, then went to Mac Point because Regatta Point was going to be too large and costly a task.

Why pray tell would they now ditch Mac Point and go back to Regatta Point? They also don't own the land.

We all want the same thing. A Tasmanian team playing out of a new world class Hobart stadium, but 2.0 just aint it.
Do you have more information on the PAC hearing yesterday because I didn't hear about it?

Calls are growing louder to axe the roof on a new stadium to keep costs down with costs now almost certain to reach at least $1 billion according to some. With the design coming out next week i wonder if they will have a design with a roof and another one that doesn't include a roof just in case this is the way they have to go.

Calls are growing louder to axe the roof on a new stadium to keep costs down with costs now almost certain to reach at least $1 billion according to some. With the design coming out next week i wonder if they will have a design with a roof and another one that doesn't include a roof just in case this is the way they have to go.
The roof is staying

According to who? If these calls are not coming from Cox Architects, the AFL, the Premier, or Sports Minister then they’re totally irrelevant IMO. There are so many people on the outside trying to push agendas, but they really have no idea what is happening, so they’re not worth listening to.

According to who? If these calls are not coming from Cox Architects, the AFL, the Premier, or Sports Minister then they’re totally irrelevant IMO. There are so many people on the outside trying to push agendas, but they really have no idea what is happening, so they’re not worth listening to.
Labor have suggested it and they had a story in the Advocate about it yesterday. I have to say I'm really starting to worry it won't be able to be kept at the $750 million if you look at the big cost overruns with the spirit and other projects recently.

Labor have suggested it and they had a story in the Advocate about it yesterday. I have to say I'm really starting to worry it won't be able to be kept at the $750 million if you look at the big cost overruns with the spirit and other projects recently.
Very few of these projects keep within budget and in my opinion this will be no different.

Labor have suggested it, because they’re in opposition and want to generate controversy to make life difficult for the government.

The Advocate want negative coverage of Mac Point because they’re a NW paper, negativity sells, and a sizeable portion of their readers are against the stadium since it’s so far away from their region and they’d rather more games played in Launceston.

Vica Bayley (Greens) came out the other day and said the meeting with Andrew Dillon amounted to “crisis talks” because the government’s stadium plan is doomed to fail.

Three examples of organisations using the media to push their agendas. There’s no evidence yet to suggest that any of it is true or likely to happen. Don’t buy into the hype. The plans are literally being released next week, let’s wait and see what happens before we start fearmongering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Labor have suggested it, because they’re in opposition and want to generate controversy to make life difficult for the government.

The Advocate want negative coverage of Mac Point because they’re a NW paper, negativity sells, and a sizeable portion of their readers are against the stadium since it’s so far away from their region and they’d rather more games played in Launceston.

Vica Bayley (Greens) came out the other day and said the meeting with Andrew Dillon amounted to “crisis talks” because the government’s stadium plan is doomed to fail.

Three examples of organisations using the media to push their agendas. There’s no evidence yet to suggest that any of it is true or likely to happen. Don’t buy into the hype. The plans are literally being released next week, let’s wait and see what happens before we start fearmongering.
I would guess that IF the stadium go's over budget the Tassie government and the AFL with go 50/50 with the extra costs.

The government is soon to open up bidding to private investors with several already declaring their interest.
Correct!

Everyone has heard publicly about the Plenary Groups interest, but I know of two others that haven't "publicly" come to light as yet. The interest is HIGH!

Also, the naming rights sponsor is something to keep an eye on!

The Advocate IS The Examiner!

You'd be surprised at the size of support for the infrastructure here on the NW, especially now that Labor have finally backed it in....... but yes, your points are 100% spot on!

I think the afl will likely contribute more because they have said several times they are open to increasing the $15 million,I think we are going to see some interesting announcements coming soon.

Back