The Stadium!

What kind of stadium do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We are fast running out of time to see the stadium design,highly likely going to be next week unfortunately. I get a feeling they are going to be something special that will likely turn a lot of the anti's and that is why they are making us wait longer 😄.

via the Herald Sun (Jon Ralph, Glenn McFarlane):
Tasmania’s grand vision for the Macquarie Point Stadium is about to be unveiled, with the Devils board to be handed the architectural plans on Friday.

Cox Architects will hand detailed concept designs to the board ahead of their public release in coming weeks as a major breakthrough in the timeline towards the club’s AFL launch in 2028.
I wouldn't say they are deliberately making us wait longer, if the board only got the designs today. Nevertheless, this quote builds a little more anticipation:
Previous concept designs by Cox were of a more traditional stadium build such as Marvel Stadium, with the stands closed to the surrounds of Macquarie Point.

But Cox director Alastair Richardson said recently the new vision would be of a roofed stadium, which has parts open to the surround instead of a fully closed venue.

“When you look at the renders done last year, it was seen as a solid mass,” he said. “This building needs to be scaled, transparent, open – something that actually has an engagement with the city and not a concrete wall, blocking off its access.” One idea is for a Wimbledon-style roof with maximum transparency to allow the most amount of sunlight into the stadium.
Part of the reason they have to try to avoid a concrete dungeon is to enhance airflow for growing the grass (given the roof isn't going to be retractable).

All the more reason to go with the absurd(ly brilliant) grass hill behind the goals, and beyond that have sets of clear sliding windows at both ends which would be opened up on non-matchdays (and early season games, plus cricket)!

via the Herald Sun (Jon Ralph, Glenn McFarlane):

I wouldn't say they are deliberately making us wait longer, if the board only got the designs today. Nevertheless, this quote builds a little more anticipation:

Part of the reason they have to try to avoid a concrete dungeon is to enhance airflow for growing the grass (given the roof isn't going to be retractable).

All the more reason to go with the absurd(ly brilliant) grass hill behind the goals, and beyond that have sets of clear sliding windows at both ends which would be opened up on non-matchdays (and early season games, plus cricket)!
So it's going be partly opened up,I thought part of the reason to have it enclosed was to keep the wind out that you can often get down next to the Derwent River.

So it's going be partly opened up,I thought part of the reason to have it enclosed was to keep the wind out that you can often get down next to the Derwent River.
Just sounds like it's not going to be fully enclosed by concrete and steel.

Which exact parts will be "transparent, open" and how that will be achieved is anybody's guess (as mentioned, mine is windows).

Just sounds like it's not going to be fully enclosed by concrete and steel.

Which exact parts will be "transparent, open" and how that will be achieved is anybody's guess (as mentioned, mine is windows).
Do you have any idea how they will make the roof high enough to play cricket considering the capacity of the stadium will only likely need two tiers of seating?

Do you have any idea how they will make the roof high enough to play cricket considering the capacity of the stadium will only likely need two tiers of seating?
The two things don't have to correlate when the roof is a lightweight design. It can be its own separate structure that isn't essentially "resting" on the stands (unlike with Marvel). Example:
stad1.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Retractable roof does not allow sunlight on grass at low winter angles.
What about sound proofing though?
I'm not sure about soundproofing but they are going with a translucent partly because it allows sunlight in and also because it's a lot cheaper. Hopefully having a translucent roof will help them keep to the budget because like I said Retractable roofs do not come cheap.

I'm not sure about soundproofing but they are going with a translucent partly because it allows sunlight in and also because it's a lot cheaper. Hopefully having a translucent roof will help them keep to the budget because like I said Retractable roofs do not come cheap.
From the specs I last looked at, the roof would be made from ETFE rather than PTFE.

But there could certainly be a mix of both, eg ETFE for the roof, side structural "panels" could be PTFE.

From the specs I last looked at, the roof would be made from ETFE rather than PTFE.

But there could certainly be a mix of both, eg ETFE for the roof, side structural "panels" could be PTFE.
This should significantly keep the cost of the stadium down. I known many that believe this stadium is going to cost $1 billion minimum but I think people will be surprised with the cost because I think they are working on a design that will significantly keep costs down. The ETFE roof for starters is going to keep costs lower and I think they will also look at using other materials on the stadium that could very easily still keep it below the $750 million.

According to local news outlets the plan for the stadium will be released tomorrow.
It's only the early designs though,still another couple of years until they settle on the final design according to the Stadium Tasmania boss.They have had huge interest from concert promoters to host concerts there and also massive interest for a lot of other events.

It's only the early designs though,still another couple of years until they settle on the final design according to the Stadium Tasmania boss.They have had huge interest from concert promoters to host concerts there and also massive interest for a lot of other events.
And you would be VERY surprised at the bands/performers interested in playing there.

Back