The Stadium!

What kind of stadium do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry if this is a silly question, but why must there be a roof.
How much less does it cost if there is no roof

It's a very nice looking design, and looks like it holds more than 23,000 seat in that internal image, but it also looks like that roof maybe too low for Cricket to be played there, but I guess we won't know until we get a better idea of the dimensions of the stadium and the height of the roof. I do like the idea and a wooden roof, the new engineered wooden beams are incredibly strong.
The roof will be 51m at the highest point and has been give the go ahead from the ICC. My concern is with how much more it will likely cost with the timber roof, because many have said it will be a lot more expensive but I'm not sure.

The roof will be 51m at the highest point and has been give the go ahead from the ICC. My concern is with how much more it will likely cost with the timber roof, because many have said it will be a lot more expensive but I'm not sure.
51 metres doesn't sound high enough, especially in this day and age when player can hit a cricket ball more than 100 metres, clear stands and hit the little red projectile at speeds over 120km/h.

Engineered wood trusses can be up to 30% more expensive than steel, but they look amazing, at least they do on Grand Designs. :)

Quotes from lead designer Alastair Richardson today, which address some questions asked itt...

On shadows: “The height of the roof results in a diffused shadow, so you don’t get hard shadows like what you see when the roof is open at Marvel Stadium, or the edge of the MCG on those days. You don’t get a shadow like that at all. So the issue in terms of impact on play is minimised.”

On natural ventilation: “We’re bringing in cold air down the bottom and extracting hot air at the top, essentially.”

On the roof height for cricket: “What we’ve done here is we’ve worked through looking at Hawkeye and ball tracking technology to assess the maximum height that anyone’s hit a ball… then push the roof to 50 metres, which cricket was really happy with, because there’s no instance of anybody hitting a ball 50 metres high.”

On 23k capacity and future expansion (previously stated as 31k and 40k stages): “The gap at the moment between the last row of seats and the roof allows us to bring another annulus of seating around the back of the upper tier and that’s how we achieve the extra capacity.”

MPDC CEO Anne Beach on more pictures being released: “We are putting together a full package that will show view aspects from across the city, so you can expect to see that later this month.”

Quotes from lead designer Alastair Richardson today, which address some questions asked itt...

On shadows: “The height of the roof results in a diffused shadow, so you don’t get hard shadows like what you see when the roof is open at Marvel Stadium, or the edge of the MCG on those days. You don’t get a shadow like that at all. So the issue in terms of impact on play is minimised.”

On natural ventilation: “We’re bringing in cold air down the bottom and extracting hot air at the top, essentially.”

On the roof height for cricket: “What we’ve done here is we’ve worked through looking at Hawkeye and ball tracking technology to assess the maximum height that anyone’s hit a ball… then push the roof to 50 metres, which cricket was really happy with, because there’s no instance of anybody hitting a ball 50 metres high.”

On 23k capacity and future expansion (previously stated as 31k and 40k stages): “The gap at the moment between the last row of seats and the roof allows us to bring another annulus of seating around the back of the upper tier and that’s how we achieve the extra capacity.”

MPDC CEO Anne Beach on more pictures being released: “We are putting together a full package that will show view aspects from across the city, so you can expect to see that later this month.”

I am concerned about the ventilation / heat point. Venting a space that big, including into the centre of the ground is going to be tough when you are in effect sitting in a greenhouse. Not saying anyone is wrong, just that it will be a tough ask to get it right for the summer.
Remember everything sitting in the sunshine collects then radiates the suns heat back into the space, dealing with that will be very hard through ventilation alone. Minimising it by having as mush of the southern side as shaded as possible could help a bit (so terraces at South side are in shade at height of summer). Retractibe shading maybe?

If they were going to buy the timber retail/wholesale then it might be a fair bit more expensive but you'd think that if they can source it locally they'd save a bit on shipping costs compared to steel from China or even the mainland and they'd be able to swing a decent price through providing advertising with info boards around the ground about how it was built etc and links through the websites to the suppliers. Being unique and the worlds biggest timber roofed stadium would add a bit of value there for any of the businesses involved in it you'd think.

A lot of people are complaining about them using timber, saying it is a fire hazard waiting to happen, with instances of fires burning timber structures down overseas. It would be interesting to know people's opinions on this,do people believe it would be a mistake using timber?

A lot of people are complaining about them using timber, saying it is a fire hazard waiting to happen, with instances of fires burning timber structures down overseas. It would be interesting to know people's opinions on this,do people believe it would be a mistake using timber?

It worked for Noah’s Arc. Miraculous the strength of the timber he used

Let’s use flammable plastic cladding instead

Timber. Gonna cost a lot in maintenance and probably refoofing. Is that factored in?
What decade do you think they will be starting to worry about reroofing due to the timber? All stadiums have used by date, I dont think the timber in the roof will be the issue.

What decade do you think they will be starting to worry about reroofing due to the timber? All stadiums have used by date, I dont think the timber in the roof will be the issue.

I suspect the EFTE will need replacing before the timber elements of the roof. Any roof of that size in that location will need maintainence so I doubt the timber roof will cost any more. (A guess I know, but if it looks fantastic then it will be worth it).

I suspect the EFTE will need replacing before the timber elements of the roof. Any roof of that size in that location will need maintainence so I doubt the timber roof will cost any more. (A guess I know, but if it looks fantastic then it will be worth it).
I just hope it stands the test of time weather wise. If it fades and loses its color, it will look pretty crap, as wood does.

The pattern of the roof will also be interesting. I don't think it will impact the footy one bit, especially night games where the lighting will be within. But I wonder if it will create a cross pattern of shadows for tv viewers during day games, and be annoying to watch?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just hope it stands the test of time weather wise. If it fades and loses its color, it will look pretty crap, as wood does.

The pattern of the roof will also be interesting. I don't think it will impact the footy one bit, especially night games where the lighting will be within. But I wonder if it will create a cross pattern of shadows for tv viewers during day games, and be annoying to watch?
I am sure they have done modelling on it. Doubt it they are just winging it and seeing what happens.

They have done tests on it and found the shadows are very minimal.

It's under the plastic so weather is not an issue.

I can answer a few questions to a certain degree:

1: As for the shadows, a lot will depend on how successful the "shadow dispersion" will be. From the modelling I've seen, it looks like it'll be negligible, and as my current employment is with CT, I've certainly shared lots of discussion around this subject.

2: The cross laminated timbers will be "treated", so proofing it from fungi, moisture, insects, natural decay etc, which in turn, obviously expands their lifetime cycle.

3: ETFE is an amazing product, non rip, adaptable, strong, lightweight and safe. I'm told IF, sections need to be replaced for whatever reason, it's "easily" achieved....... not sure you'd get me on the roof to help though :eekv1:

4: As for the height, 50 metres doesn't seem high, but the modelling and ball tracking suggests it's ok....... I'm not convinced a player like "The Bison" wouldn't be able to "nudge" that theory at some stage lol

Last edited:
I can't understand why people believe we won't get concerts at the new stadium. These people that say they will never come are obviously not thinking about the dozens of big bands that have come to My State bank Arena and the Silverdome. We have had a lot of bands over the years with mostly sell out crowds and while I acknowledge it's not on the scale of the big cities it is simply wrong to say they won't come. We will also have the added bonus of a roof and a bigger capacity which will make it even more enticing. I understand the reasons why people say we won't get big numbers of concerts but for people to say we won't get any when they already come is incorrect.

I can't understand why people believe we won't get concerts at the new stadium. These people that say they will never come are obviously not thinking about the dozens of big bands that have come to My State bank Arena and the Silverdome. We have had a lot of bands over the years with mostly sell out crowds and while I acknowledge it's not on the scale of the big cities it is simply wrong to say they won't come. We will also have the added bonus of a roof and a bigger capacity which will make it even more enticing. I understand the reasons why people say we won't get big numbers of concerts but for people to say we won't get any when they already come is incorrect.
Mr Tassie, this is just a few of the names (below) I've already been told we've been contacted by, or we've touched base with, through respective management groups. Some of the people involved behind the scenes, that are involved in the stadium, are also "managed" by, or have contacts with some really progressive music industry people. It certainly won't be a problem like some say it will.... and take anything Charles Tauber says, with a grain of salt!

Pearl Jam, Kasabian, Billie Eilish, Bruce Springsteen, Pink, Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon.

PS: I'll never forget the disappointment my wife had, when we couldn't get Bon Jovi over the line at Blundstone a few years back lol

Mr Tassie, this is just a few of the names (below) I've already been told we've been contacted by, or we've touched base with, through respective management groups. Some of the people involved behind the scenes, that are involved in the stadium, are also "managed" by, or have contacts with some really progressive music industry people. It certainly won't be a problem like some say it will.... and take anything Charles Tauber says, with a grain of salt!

Pearl Jam, Kasabian, Billie Eilish, Bruce Springsteen, Pink, Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon.

PS: I'll never forget the disappointment my wife had, when we couldn't get Bon Jovi over the line at Blundstone a few years back lol
Some big names there and while some won't attract sell out crowds I think even crowds of 10,000 to 15,000 will still bring in good dollars to the state. I think Pink is probably the pick of them and it doesn't surprise they have expressed an interest considering they have played in Townsville and Dunedin NZ. Maybe this stadium might be enough to get Bon Jovi to come on this occasion,but I think we can safely say we won't see Taylor Swift here.

Do you believe we can pull sufficient crowds to these gigs?..... I think it's one thing to get them once but we want it to be a success so they will want to return.

Back