The Stadium!

What kind of stadium do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Do people believe the stadium still might have to be moved 400m to make the RSL happy or are they likely to come up with some other compromise?

Do people believe the stadium still might have to be moved 400m to make the RSL happy or are they likely to come up with some other compromise?
I don't think the RSL has the pull to make that happen. If it does it would be a capitulation of government more than influence of the RSL. I served from 2016 to 2022, and I never met a single person who could have given two shits about the RSL.

My personal opinion is the organisation is scum and I can't help but roll my eyes every time I hear more bullshit being spouted by them.

No.

The RSLs stadium position is 85% political, 10% financial and 5% out of sightline concern.

Why else would they actively endorse the Stadium 2.0 proposal, which

• Casts shadow directly over the Cenotaph grounds at 6am on ANZAC Day
  • Would see the Queens Battery which is currently entombed under the Regatta Grounds obliterated for a 2000 space car park
  • Destroys WW2 bomb shelters
  • Is far closer to the Cenotaph than Mac Point stadium (10000 drunk footy fans traipsing all over it)

But dont believe me. Here's what local military historian Reg Watson said about the governments Regatta Point proposal in 2022

https://www.regwatson.com/why-the-sport-stadium-in-hobart-cannot-be-built/

Follow the politics and follow the money.

No.

The RSLs stadium position is 85% political, 10% financial and 5% out of sightline concern.

Why else would they actively endorse the Stadium 2.0 proposal, which

• Casts shadow directly over the Cenotaph grounds at 6am on ANZAC Day
  • Would see the Queens Battery which is currently entombed under the Regatta Grounds obliterated for a 2000 space car park
  • Destroys WW2 bomb shelters
  • Is far closer to the Cenotaph than Mac Point stadium (10000 drunk footy fans traipsing all over it)

But dont believe me. Here's what local military historian Reg Watson said about the governments Regatta Point proposal in 2022

https://www.regwatson.com/why-the-sport-stadium-in-hobart-cannot-be-built/

Follow the politics and follow the money.
Wow that article really makes a person question the RSL's reason for supporting Regatta Point over Mac point. The RSL however are not going to give up on their stance, so it's going to be very interesting to see what happens.

Wow that article really makes a person question the RSL's reason for supporting Regatta Point over Mac point.
Because they’re scum like I said 😂

Their priorities have always been the business interests of management first, and the business interests of the RSL second.

They’ve actively worked against veterans interests for decades and have done more harm with pokies and alcohol then they’ll ever do good.

Recent history they’ve backed the Government in the face of veteran outcry over the sharing of medical information to third parties without veteran consent.

They only backed the royal commission in to veteran suicide once the political noise was huge and they couldn’t ignore it.

Scum

Remembering Bruce ruxton who had an opinion on everything dissing aboriginal sacred sites.

But a
Because they’re scum like I said 😂

Their priorities have always been the business interests of management first, and the business interests of the RSL second.

They’ve actively worked against veterans interests for decades and have done more harm with pokies and alcohol then they’ll ever do good.

Recent history they’ve backed the Government in the face of veteran outcry over the sharing of medical information to third parties without veteran consent.

They only backed the royal commission in to veteran suicide once the political noise was huge and they couldn’t ignore it.

Scum

Sounds like a religion

It looks like this weekends game between North and Geelong will be the biggest crowd for a long time in Hobart with all seating sold out according to Ticketmaster. It will be interesting to see what the government does for afl footy in Tassie once the North deal ends,maybe they should pay big teams to play one off games here because Tasmania clearly is interested in North vs Gold Coast,Port Adelaide,Adelaide or GWS.

xx New
It looks like this weekends game between North and Geelong will be the biggest crowd for a long time in Hobart with all seating sold out according to Ticketmaster. It will be interesting to see what the government does for afl footy in Tassie once the North deal ends,maybe they should pay big teams to play one off games here because Tasmania clearly is interested in North vs Gold Coast,Port Adelaide,Adelaide or GWS.
I am very confident big Victorian clubs will go to Tasmania even if they don’t go to Geelong. Nice to know the ticket sales for this game are doing well.

I am very confident big Victorian clubs will go to Tasmania even if they don’t go to Geelong. Nice to know the ticket sales for this game are doing well.
The big teams go to the Gold Coast and GWS and the afl has made it clear all teams will have to play in Tasmania.

Back in 2022 when Hawks played Roos at Blundstone it was pretty good crowd- mainly because Hawks were playing. There was a sea of brown and gold - way outnumbering North colours.
If they give us the popular/well supported teams those supporters will turn out in droves. It's been proven again and again.

Back in 2022 when Hawks played Roos at Blundstone it was pretty good crowd- mainly because Hawks were playing. There was a sea of brown and gold - way outnumbering North colours.
If they give us the popular/well supported teams those supporters will turn out in droves. It's been proven again and again.
Part of the reason why I would love to see Tasmania vs Ess/coll/carl/hawt first up. Many would travel down myself as well.

I'm pretty sure that is the only game in Hobart that got close to 10,000 in the last four or five years. I remember back in the first 6 or so season's we used to get alot of big crowds because we were getting big Victorian teams and also because North were competitive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RSL Australia has now come out to support the Tasmanian rsl opposing the stadium build. I honestly believe they will not rest until this stadium is moved 400m like they have requested. This is not going to just go away like a lot think and I think we are going to have to be prepared for some changes,interesting times ahead.

RSL Australia has now come out to support the Tasmanian rsl opposing the stadium build. I honestly believe they will not rest until this stadium is moved 400m like they have requested. This is not going to just go away like a lot think and I think we are going to have to be prepared for some changes,interesting times ahead.
Would moving the stadium 400m place it in the location earmarked for 2.0? If so, then that location has been emphatically ruled out by the state government and AFL. If there are more compromises made for the RSL then I expect them to be far more modest than that.

Anne Beach, the CEO of the Macquarie Point Development Corporation, said a couple of weeks ago (words to the effect of): “we will listen to all of our stakeholders and consider their views, but at the same time they need to realise that we can’t accommodate all of the requests from all of our stakeholders.”

Who argued that because big Melbourne teams play Geelong at the MCG instead of GMHBA, they won't come to Tasmania? Lots of insane arguments by antis, but that is one of the most insane ones I've heard.

Who argued that because big Melbourne teams play Geelong at the MCG instead of GMHBA, they won't come to Tasmania? Lots of insane arguments by antis, but that is one of the most insane ones I've heard.
It has been said seems weird. Looking fwd to many heading down.

That is what I have try to tell them, but they just won't listen to people.
You're never going to convince them. I'd stop wasting my energy on them and enjoy the ride next few years as they are constantly being proven wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Stadium!

Back