Opinion The 'Super Seven'

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it based on overall stats over their career? It would be my guess being that Jolly and Hudson have been in the game longer and with Leuey's major injuries keeping him out for almost 2 seasons (Correct me if i am wrong) would be why they would be rated higher?

We all knew he is better than those two at a look but can be the only thing I can think of as to why?

Its only rated over the last 40(?) games so the injuries shouldn't matter too much. I think he actually went down in the rankings over the year despite being pretty well acknowledged as being in the top few ruckman over that time period

Its only rated over the last 40(?) games so the injuries shouldn't matter too much. I think he actually went down in the rankings over the year despite being pretty well acknowledged as being in the top few ruckman over that time period

Ahh ok didn't look at the stats just took a punt as to why....

I stopped paying attention to those rankings because they have Leuenberger as the 22nd best ruckman in the league. 22nd! Jolly and Hudson are ahead of him! Also, there is no way Rioli is the 11th best player in the league.

I agree with cotter, Rich isn't elite. He goes missing in games quite a bit.

people called brown elite for years when he wasnt really get that many goals...he was tripled team which lessoned his output. But I agree he was elite.

when opposition teams put so much work into you you are ranked pretty damm high, and that is wear I see Rich. I see him as a Elite player without the Elite results...yet. Players like Redden and even rockliff at times need to really step up and take better advantage of the free run Rich provides them.

Ahh ok didn't look at the stats just took a punt as to why....

Yeah I just looked at some of the stats that they seem to base the rankings on (or at least publish with the rankings) and he comfortably out performs many of the guys ranked higher than him. I'm guessing that it is one of the stats that they just don't make available to the public. I do know that in one of the early iterations of the rankings they rated defensive acts (like tackles) much higher and it made Redden the number 1 player due to his tackle numbers

Rich is a guy who can tear a team apart if you don't tag him. He has trouble dominating a tagger but teams know that he is an elite player if he is given time and space. With him in the team it takes the first tag away from Hanley, Rockliff and hopefully in the future Mayes and Aish. Rich has as high a hurt factor on his disposals as anyone in the competition and I would consider him an elite player for that reason.

I would describe that as being capable of having an elite impact on a game, which we definitely know Rich can (and does) have. However, a big part of being an elite footballer is being able to combat whatever the opposition does to curb your influence. And I don't think Rich has demonstrated he can do that, week in and week out. I'm not sure I can describe a player as a elite when he can't beat a tag. For that reason, I've never thought of Dal Santo as elite, despite the fact that he can dominate games if left unattended.

In terms of where players rank, I'd have Ablett on a tier of his own, with a few others (Watson, Pendlebury, Selwood) just below and then quite a significant pack after that (Beams, Swan, Dangerfield, Mitchell, Kennedy, Fyfe etc). I'd have Rockliff and Hanley moving into that 3rd tier with Rich another level below, based on 2013.

My interpretation of "elite" would be, that player's level is so consistently high that they are expected to dominate every week; it's a "shock" if you can limit their influence in a game. Players like GAJ, Swan, Pendlebury, Joel Selwood obviously fit this category. Conversely, I don't class players like Daisy Thomas, Dayne Beams, Hannebery, Cotchin, Fyfe or Dangerfield as elite yet. Harsh maybe, but I agree the term elite is bandied about too much.

In all honesty, I don't put any of our midfielders in the elite category yet. Rockliff is the closest I reckon. Hanley, Rich and Rockliff are studs, and all have matchwinning ability, but it's not yet consistent at that level. Here's hoping they can do it next year!

I agree with most of this but Dangerfield is elite, some of his games this year were just dominating. If we were given the opportunity to sign a lifetime contract for one of those players, I would take Dangerfield (from this point going forward).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dangerfield is sometimes played as a forward and generally kicks multiple goals on those occasions.

I know. I was only kidding. But look at our list and tell me what we need more, a gun tall forward or a gun midfielder? Keep in mind that gun forwards are a lot harder to find. Cameron is also younger.

Sounds like Leppitsch is hoping that Gardiner is playing next year with the qualifier that he may not be up to it physically. Size and strength is pretty important for a defender so will be interesting to see. From the bit of footage that's been posted he's got some old fashioned defender angry beans in him so am looking forward to seeing how he goes.

Word to the wise

Sounds like Leppitsch is hoping that Gardiner is playing next year with the qualifier that he may not be up to it physically. Size and strength is pretty important for a defender so will be interesting to see. From the bit of footage that's been posted he's got some old fashioned defender angry beans in him so am looking forward to seeing how he goes.

Word to the wise

That sounds interesting. A few of these guys may take the field next year I think. Maybe two or three might get a run?

Was that directed at me ... considering I'm wise?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The 'Super Seven'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back