The tackling issue

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't that a chain link one ? ie: still able to pass the ball from team mate to team mate, as long as the opposition doesn't get the ball.

I meant taking the ball from full back or around the defensive 50m as a single sole player (eg: Brian Lake, Matthew Scarlett etc) :D. Would probably be impossible to do due to the AI swarming towards the ball carrier, would still love it if it was possible.

You can still go on a run and score as the goalie in Fifa (even though they've increased the difficulty of attempting it over the last few years).

You can't do that in real life either. :) Too many players and the ground is too big.

Dunno if it's just my style of playing, but I'm a tackling machine at the moment, lol. Trengove (MELB) is always leading the tackles overall when I check the season stats. Not to mention I usually have like, the top 5 tackler counts. Weird. I just run at everyone and hold the tackle button, works wonders! =) *pressure, pressure, pressure*

it would be interesting to see if someone with time could edit teams to reduce the tackling of all players by heaps...and also increase the speed of all mids and small forwards.

might fix the over tackling and speed nerfed issues

it would be interesting to see if someone with time could edit teams to reduce the tackling of all players by heaps...and also increase the speed of all mids and small forwards.

might fix the over tackling and speed nerfed issues

And would result in the ball just bouncing from end to end, no real pressure and very few turnovers...sounds familiar :rolleyes:

Im playing 10min 1/4s and getting around 200 tackles per team, its far too many, its ridiculous that the second you take posession you hit the ground.

I dont think anyones claiming its an issue of difficulty, alot of people just feel the amount of tackling is detrimental to their enjoyability of the product.

How to fix it? No idea.

Im playing 10min 1/4s and getting around 200 tackles per team, its far too many, its ridiculous that the second you take posession you hit the ground.

I dont think anyones claiming its an issue of difficulty, alot of people just feel the amount of tackling is detrimental to their enjoyability of the product.

How to fix it? No idea.

yep...it is damm frustrating and really ruins the game. I don't think many people would worry about the tackling if the game allow more handballs in tackles, and/or fumbles. The only way to fix it would be to mess with stats in team editor to find a better middle ground...but that would take alot of time and trial and error.

Get better. Issue fixed.

get better at getting the ball free from tackles when there aint a option for it?

The tackling issue also goes both ways...it is damm frustrating when you outnumber the opponant 2-1 and expect to force a tackle to create a loose ball and thus turnover only for a ball up to happen. The issue with tackling stems purely with the games lack of variety by having limited loose balls, quick kicks & players standing in the tackle.

so yes...get better at avoiding tackles and avoid the games biggest flaw

If you could knock the ball out after a tackle instead of as soon as the players hit the deck the whistle is blown for holding or a ball up
If this was changed the game would still keep it's scrappy nature in tight but would keep the game flowing instead of the constant ball ups

get better at getting the ball free from tackles when there aint a option for it?

The tackling issue also goes both ways...it is damm frustrating when you outnumber the opponant 2-1 and expect to force a tackle to create a loose ball and thus turnover only for a ball up to happen. The issue with tackling stems purely with the games lack of variety by having limited loose balls, quick kicks & players standing in the tackle.

so yes...get better at avoiding tackles and avoid the games biggest flaw
Maybe try and use the ball smartly rather than hope to pick it up and walk away. Crazy, I know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on, it's more than that. There is an issue with the tackling, it's more than just "get better at the game".
Not really. I had an issue with the tackling to start with, then I tried different things. Now all of my games are quite free flowing.

Just played a quick game between Hawks and Blues after lowering everyones tackling stat by 20

The ball seems to bobble out of the tackles more unless tackled by someone really good eg. Juddy or Junior
It also seems to make it easier to handball out of a tackle

Maybe try and use the ball smartly rather than hope to pick it up and walk away. Crazy, I know.

simple reply mate! I sure know one is expecting to just pick the ball up and "walk away"

The tackle contest in the afl is a major part in the game...in afl live once a tackle is engaged it is usually completed with no/little option to force a fumble, get a handball out, stand in the tackle...etc..

The idea that people are just frustrated at being tackled all the time is short sighted... I also find that when laying a tackle it would be much better if you could force a turnover, but you just get another ball up. It is particully frustrating when you manage to out number and expect to force a fumble for your extra player to pick up the loose ball...It goes vice-versa.

But yes, you could get use to it! doesn't mean it is ideal, realistic etc...

Just played a quick game between Hawks and Blues after lowering everyones tackling stat by 20

The ball seems to bobble out of the tackles more unless tackled by someone really good eg. Juddy or Junior
It also seems to make it easier to handball out of a tackle

did you also try editing players speed and acceleration? It seems that any player can run down the ball carrier in the game

did you also try editing players speed and acceleration? It seems that any player can run down the ball carrier in the game

Yeah I did but I think I need to tweak it more as the fast players I made too fast but the slow guys like renouf were about right

I will do some more testing over the next couple of days

Changed the speed stats a bit more and played Hawks v Swans, 5 min qtrs, veteran. Tackles 80-88 and I only kicked 11 goals
I would normally kick 15-20

Pace of the game felt great, almost realistic
If you have numbers around the contest you will usually get rewarded because the ball bobbles out of tackles a bit
Made an awesome run with junior from the centre square to the 50 but didn't seem unrealistic as when he got the ball he had heaps of space

Here is what I changed
Tackling -20 for everyone
Speed and accel I changed relative to original stats
90+ no change
85-89 -2
80-84 -5
70-79 -10
60-69 -15
60 or lower -20

Changed the speed stats a bit more and played Hawks v Swans, 5 min qtrs, veteran. Tackles 80-88 and I only kicked 11 goals

If you have numbers around the contest you will usually get rewarded because the ball bobbles out of tackles a bit
Made an awesome run with junior from the centre square to the 50 but didn't seem unrealistic as when he got the ball he had heaps of space

Here is what I changed
90+ no change
85-89 -2
80-84 -5
70-79 -10
60-69 -15
60 or lower -20

great idea to base speed changes on a formula. looks like you are onto something

Here is what I changed
90+ no change
85-89 -2
80-84 -5
70-79 -10
60-69 -15
60 or lower -20

You may be on to something here. :thumbsu:

Will have to give it a go tomorrow.

great idea to base speed changes on a formula. looks like you are onto something

Thanks mate

I tried making the fast players faster
But it made them too fast, almost uncontrollable

Played another Hawks v Swans this time on legend, 5 mins
I kicked 15 goals this time but only won by 5 points instead of 8 goals
Tackles were 80-96

Again speed felt great
You really notice rioli more, was able to run away from Mumford with him which brought a smile to my face

Remove this Banner Ad

The tackling issue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back