The tackling issue

Remove this Banner Ad

I got the game yesterday, and to be honest, I don't have a problem with the tackling at all.

Tackles were in fairly normal numbers for a 5 minute match. I didn't feel like the ball was pinned in forever at stoppages or anything at all. That said, after reading everything on here I was focussing on shooting out the quick handball as soon as I got it, but hey, so do the real players in real life.

You can't hesitate in the centre circle after a bounce, and if you do you'll probably get tackled. Welcome to AFL football. This isn't nearly as big of an issue as it's been hyped up to I don't reckon.

I got the game yesterday, and to be honest, I don't have a problem with the tackling at all.

Tackles were in fairly normal numbers for a 5 minute match. I didn't feel like the ball was pinned in forever at stoppages or anything at all. That said, after reading everything on here I was focussing on shooting out the quick handball as soon as I got it, but hey, so do the real players in real life.

You can't hesitate in the centre circle after a bounce, and if you do you'll probably get tackled. Welcome to AFL football. This isn't nearly as big of an issue as it's been hyped up to I don't reckon.

That's your opinion and that's fine, but the tackle counts are not normal
Before my changes in 5 min qtr games on legend my tackle counts were 120+ both my team and cpu
The most tackles in a game in round 5 was Collingwood v Essendon which the tackle count was 78-91 and the average from the other matches was about 60-70 per team
The changes I have made lower the tackles to about 75-100 much lower and in my opinion more realistic
I would like it a little lower but I think if I change it to much more it will make the game too open

Im fine with extra tackles around stoppages, its around the ground its absolutely infuriating, as soon as you recieve the ball you're tackled, often without time to kick the ball, which leads to another stoppage, which leads to more tackles.

Its okay when you're playing as a highly rated team like collingwood, cause nearly every player has their break tackle stat up ridiculously high, but when you use a 'lower end' team such as North, GC etc you're at the tacklers mercy.

The idea is to use quick handballs to free up a man, but when your opponent has one hand on the recievers waist ready to tackle anyway...

simple reply mate! I sure know one is expecting to just pick the ball up and "walk away"

The tackle contest in the afl is a major part in the game...in afl live once a tackle is engaged it is usually completed with no/little option to force a fumble, get a handball out, stand in the tackle...etc..

The idea that people are just frustrated at being tackled all the time is short sighted... I also find that when laying a tackle it would be much better if you could force a turnover, but you just get another ball up. It is particully frustrating when you manage to out number and expect to force a fumble for your extra player to pick up the loose ball...It goes vice-versa.

But yes, you could get use to it! doesn't mean it is ideal, realistic etc...

Totally agree. I've read a few of the comments in this thread from those grandstanders who have no worries whatsoever with tackling, possession, marking etc. And yes, I do understand that getting to this level probably requires practice. Congratulations to those few who have mastered the game.

With my life, I don't have the time to spend hours & hours practicing a PS3 game just so that I can be semi-competent at it. I want to be able to pick up & play and be reasonably competitive - not be a whipping boy and get flogged by over 50 points in a 3-minute quarter match.

I've had the game for nearly a fortnight playing it off & on when I've had a chance. Unfortunately for me I'm almost at the stage of throwing this game in the bin unless there is an adequate update forthcoming that will allow me to maybe win the occasional match.

Please feel free to call me a whinger or a novice, but I really think there should be a slower/easier option for those struggling like myself as well as a more advanced setting for the pro's.

Totally agree. I've read a few of the comments in this thread from those grandstanders who have no worries whatsoever with tackling, possession, marking etc. And yes, I do understand that getting to this level probably requires practice. Congratulations to those few who have mastered the game.

With my life, I don't have the time to spend hours & hours practicing a PS3 game just so that I can be semi-competent at it. I want to be able to pick up & play and be reasonably competitive - not be a whipping boy and get flogged by over 50 points in a 3-minute quarter match.

I've had the game for nearly a fortnight playing it off & on when I've had a chance. Unfortunately for me I'm almost at the stage of throwing this game in the bin unless there is an adequate update forthcoming that will allow me to maybe win the occasional match.

Please feel free to call me a whinger or a novice, but I really think there should be a slower/easier option for those struggling like myself as well as a more advanced setting for the pro's.
Funnily enough, you can be good at a game without dedicating your life to it. I'll let you take the time to absorb that information, as it is quite shocking.

simple reply mate! I sure know one is expecting to just pick the ball up and "walk away"

The tackle contest in the afl is a major part in the game...in afl live once a tackle is engaged it is usually completed with no/little option to force a fumble, get a handball out, stand in the tackle...etc..

The idea that people are just frustrated at being tackled all the time is short sighted... I also find that when laying a tackle it would be much better if you could force a turnover, but you just get another ball up. It is particully frustrating when you manage to out number and expect to force a fumble for your extra player to pick up the loose ball...It goes vice-versa.

But yes, you could get use to it! doesn't mean it is ideal, realistic etc...

I found the same thing.
Lowering the tackling stat definatly improves this issue
You should check out my thread of stats changes I have made and the results I have got

That's your opinion and that's fine, but the tackle counts are not normal
Before my changes in 5 min qtr games on legend my tackle counts were 120+ both my team and cpu
The most tackles in a game in round 5 was Collingwood v Essendon which the tackle count was 78-91 and the average from the other matches was about 60-70 per team
The changes I have made lower the tackles to about 75-100 much lower and in my opinion more realistic
I would like it a little lower but I think if I change it to much more it will make the game too open

Just a genuine question out of curiosity Lyncha (and by the way am impressed with your little project and will continue to follow it)
With the tackling are you more concerned with the tackle count in the stats being so high eg:120+ or is your issue more the amount of tackles in the game.
My take on it is that AFL Live regards all tackles as a tackle, even a split second tackle when a handball is fired off almost immediately.
Now i may be wrong but im sure AFL stats only regard tackles that result in ball ups, holding the ball, turnovers or clangers. I pose the question if AFL Lives tackle stats were the same then would we be getting realistic tackle counts??
I may be off the mark with this but just throwing it out there

Just a genuine question out of curiosity Lyncha (and by the way am impressed with your little project and will continue to follow it)
With the tackling are you more concerned with the tackle count in the stats being so high eg:120+ or is your issue more the amount of tackles in the game.
My take on it is that AFL Live regards all tackles as a tackle, even a split second tackle when a handball is fired off almost immediately.
Now i may be wrong but im sure AFL stats only regard tackles that result in ball ups, holding the ball, turnovers or clangers. I pose the question if AFL Lives tackle stats were the same then would we be getting realistic tackle counts??
I may be off the mark with this but just throwing it out there

Not 100% sure either but take for instance the Swans v Blues game from the other night
Tackles were 88-106 = total 194
But hitouts were 65-41 = total 106
Minus 22 for ball ups after goals and your left with 84 hitouts caused by a tackle or out of bounds
So therefore minimum of 110 tackles did not cause ball ups, so it is possible that the afl do count non missed tackles that result in a handball/kick

I think the main thing for me it was too easy in a two on one situation to tackle one man, ball spills out or handball then get up and tackle the other 'spare' man and win a ball up.
Even after my stat updates it is still possible to do this but only with a very quick player eg. Rioli

Also one thing afl live doesn't do is have the ability to knock the ball out once the tackle hits the ground. Straight away its a holding the ball free or a ball up. By reducing the tackling stat the ball bobbles out of a tackle much more often which usualy rewards the team with the most players around the ball just like real footy.

My stat changes are by no means a knock on the game I love it.
But like most sports games is enhanced by stat changes

I think the main thing for me it was too easy in a two on one situation to tackle one man, ball spills out or handball then get up and tackle the other 'spare' man and win a ball up.
Even after my stat updates it is still possible to do this but only with a very quick player eg. Rioli

Also one thing afl live doesn't do is have the ability to knock the ball out once the tackle hits the ground. Straight away its a holding the ball free or a ball up. By reducing the tackling stat the ball bobbles out of a tackle much more often which usualy rewards the team with the most players around the ball just like real footy.

My stat changes are by no means a knock on the game I love it.
But like most sports games is enhanced by stat changes

Yeah these things are quite important and i think im going to give your formula a try too. I guess one of the hardest things to recreate in an AFL game is the contested nature of the game and IMO they have done a wonderful job with that and the game in general but if a few tweaks here and there makes things more fun/realistic then thats a good thing.

I notice Ross is following your project and im sure he is after that sort of feedback and experimentation cos it will only make future versions stronger!!

Remove this Banner Ad

The tackling issue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back