No Oppo Supporters THE TAN 24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't separate the fact that he is aboriginal, has stood up against racism - whether you like or dislike his method doesn't matter - and is also an AFL footballer.

When people boo him they are not just booing the footballer, they are also booing an aboriginal who has stood up against racism.

All this shit about him being a sniper and staging for frees...so many other players do the same. They get booed for a game or two, but nothing like what is happening to Goodes. It's a disgrace and if it were happening in the Premier League to a black player that spoke against racism...how would you view it?

i dont get the mindset that it is a football field so i can pretty much do as i like. It is also his workplace. Not sure how comfortable i would feel being at work and having people booing me with intent and malice EVERY time i go to do something. It has to stop IMO.

Yes, terrible. And if I were at a ground where he was playing, I would not boo him myself. No doubt there are racists enjoying it all and that would be a good enough reason on its own to not boo him. Maybe the people on a forum such as this can think of a solution. Maybe something simple like a button with the word Booo on it and a red bar across it. .. ??
When we played Sydney, I drank a lot of beer. Anyway, it got to mid-way through the third quarter and we were coming back and Goodes got the ball in front of me. I started bellowing 'BOOOOOOO!' at the top of my lungs like my life depended on it. And then I realised what I was doing...it's easy to do when you've had a skinful, your team is down and your blood is boiling. I didn't do it again but I get people do it because they want their team to win and they're not thinking about race...but it's there and you can't get away from it.

You can't separate the fact that he is aboriginal, has stood up against racism - whether you like or dislike his method doesn't matter - and is also an AFL footballer.

When people boo him they are not just booing the footballer, they are also booing an aboriginal who has stood up against racism.

All this shit about him being a sniper and staging for frees...so many other players do the same. They get booed for a game or two, but nothing like what is happening to Goodes. It's a disgrace and if it were happening in the Premier League to a black player that spoke against racism...how would you view it?

So he gets a free pass for life because he stood up to racism one time?

When we played Sydney, I drank a lot of beer. Anyway, it got to mid-way through the third quarter and we were coming back and Goodes got the ball in front of me. I started bellowing 'BOOOOOOO!' at the top of my lungs like my life depended on it. And then I realised what I was doing...it's easy to do when you've had a skinful, your team is down and your blood is boiling. I didn't do it again but I get people do it because they want their team to win and they're not thinking about race...but it's there and you can't get away from it.
A bit of isolated booing = no big deal but the sustained booing in the WCE match might bring it to a head for the AFL.

So he gets a free pass for life because he stood up to racism one time?
Thought he'd talked about racism more than once and had made it central to his AOTY.

No. The constant booing every time he touches the ball is what I'm talking about.
Once it stops an the issue dies then if he does something you don't like boo your head off...I know I will.

He was original boo'd for wrong doing on the football field he is now continuously boo'd because he reacted .
If booing was race based everyone of his race would be boo'd which they aren't .
Sometimes people have to help themselves and are directly responsible for what is brought upon them . It's not because others who call them out are racist or have hidden agendas .
If someone is being a ****wit it is in everyone's best interest they are told and accept it .
This blaming everyone else is why the country is filled with spoilt little lazy arseholes.

Thought he'd talked about racism more than once and had made it central to his AOTY.

No. The constant booing every time he touches the ball is what I'm talking about.
Once it stops an the issue dies then if he does something you don't like boo your head off...I know I will.
PS. The Swans v Richmond game...there was very little of it. It pretty much had died in the arse but Subiaco is a rabid crowd.

He was original boo'd for wrong doing on the football field he is now continuously boo'd because he reacted .
If booing was race based everyone of his race would be boo'd which they aren't .
Sometimes people have to help themselves and are directly responsible for what is brought upon them . It's not because others who call them out are racist or have hidden agendas .
If someone is being a ****wit it is in everyone's best interest they are told and accept it .
This blaming everyone else is why the country is filled with spoilt little lazy arseholes.
in that case this week we should boo our heads off at Mitchell and Gibson for being sniping grubs.

He's stood up against racism and a lot of people don't like it.
Just as I can't say that everyone that boos is racist...because of course they aren't...I can't also say that everyone isn't a racist.
And it's in everyone's best interests that we're booing him and the country is filled with spoilt little lazy arseholes. I'll just leave those alone.

I've put my thoughts across. If we disagree, we disagree.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a joke when people are labelling someone a racist just because they boo a flog

Apparently their individual motivations or reasons for doing it are irrelevant, you're a racist

I'm not a booer at the footy, but this kind PC over correction of labelling people racist just "coz" is a joke

It's a joke when people are labelling someone a racist just because they boo a flog

Apparently their individual motivations or reasons for doing it are irrelevant, you're a racist

I'm not a booer at the footy, but this kind PC over correction of labelling people racist just "coz" is a joke
Flogs have feelings too

The Adam Goodes conundrum, do we (the general AFL supporting group which comprises a massive diversity of races, religions, ages, sexes, bigotries, educational standards, intelligence levels and so on) boo him purely because he's aboriginal and we are all racist, I'd say no on the whole, do some boo(impossible for me to put a % on it) because they are racist, I'd say that on the basis of probability, yes.
Do some boo him purely because they consider him an unlikeable footballer, undoubtedly, and this doesn't make them racist as Rohan Connelly & Patrick Smith will have you believe, do some boo him because they think it's a hoot and mob mentality takes over, no doubt again, and this doesn't make them racist either.
Adam Goodes slides in with his knees and then tries to get other players penalised for doing lesser actions, see Alex Rance, he also snipes, whinges constantly and stages outrageously for free kicks, he's also been a magnificently athletic footballer who deservedly won two brownlow medals and two premierships, so the "love to hate" factor has always been there, so why has it been magnified so much recently.
I just listened to his Australia Day speech and thought it was fine, he grew up as an aboriginal in country Australia and the plight of many indigenous Australians was, and remains, appalling and dire, this is the message that MUST be heard and acted upon, decisively. But how that is done is a topic for another forum and far wiser heads than mine.
A question I ask is, if Michael Long pointed to a girl in the crowd, was the subject of Eddie's appalling gaffe (I don't believe for one second that Eddie is racist) and made the same speech as Australian of the Year, would he have been booed wherever he played? I feel the answer is a resounding no, so the Adam Goodes personality and actions must be a factor but how much of a factor is what is so divisive.
Should Adam Goodes still be booed? I probably wish it didn't happen any more because the backlash does more harm than good and any important messages are being lost, that said, everyone should have the right to boo anyone at all, regardless of their race, religion etc
Personally, I only ever boo the umpires but will boo Goodes if he deserves it for doing something on the ground during the game, but not just because he's Adam Goodes, same goes for EVERY AFL player.
Patrick Smith, on KB's show this morning, branded every single person who booed Goodes, who doesn't decry the booing of Goodes or simply doesn't like Goodes as 100% racist and it's this that really pisses me off, more so than anything Adam Goodes will do or say, nothing is Black or White on this issue.

I write this with a bit of trepidation, being a white middle class heterosexual male and I acknowledge that I have never been on the receiving end of systemic racism, unless being called a Pommy Bastard for 48 years counts.
I am not sure that it even makes sense.

Booing Goodes because it is an expression of free speech is a crock of shit. Calling everyone that boos Goodes a racist is a crock of shit.
Whatever the motivations for booing Adam Goodes are, booing him AS an expression of free speech is a democratic right.

Whatever the motivations for booing Adam Goodes are, booing him AS an expression of free speech is a democratic right.
in that case its in my democratic right as an expression of free speech to call him an ape or a black campaigner regardless as to how it makes him feel, by your theory.

Why can't u boo adam Goodes?? What a joke... This game is becoming so politically correct . Surprised they Havent banned farting at the footy

in that case its in my democratic right as an expression of free speech to call him an ape or a black campaigner regardless as to how it makes him feel, by your theory.

Goodesy, didnt know you were a tigers man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back