The team of 2011 compared to 2010...

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just good to see some competition for spots. All I hope is that the majority are fit and that players are picked on form and not reputation.

This might be a tough call but any post about possible Hawk sides going forward (well until the team starts playing again) that leave out Tom Murphy I am going to automatically ignore as coming from a place that is totally biased! Surely Murphy's performances last year mean that he has done enough to cement his spot in the round 1 side and the haters need to find a new whipping boy.
Rant over (well until next time)!
Agree molly.

You can add Gilham to the list as well. It's amazing to think that so many posters in this thread either a) don't rate him enough for him to be in our best 22, b) think his form will decline so far that he'll be easily replaced or c) believe that the coaching staff will drop our no 1 fullback.

Good post this one.

Predicting the side for Rd one next year is really tough. Who gets a gig, who misses out. Barring any pre Season injuries, Clarko is going to have his hands full, come rd 1 next year. I really like the look of puopolo and smith. But young Litherland looks a very hand type (Defender) as well.

I think this is great for the HFC. We look to have some depth and this will put the pressure on to keep spots.

Clarko has laid down the challenge, its now up to the players to earn their spot.

Bring on 2011.

Young is so important to our side, we lack pace and ability to break the lines without him firing. Opposition sides have tagged him to shut us down. He will have a full preseason this year which will assist him to take the next step next year.

Murphy Gillam Gibson
Stratton Shoe Goo
Smith Mitch Young
Burger Buddy Lewis
Rioli Rough Hale

Twister, Hodge Sewell

Changa, Birch, Xman Sub Ossie

Emergency from Bruce, Shiels, Savage, Ladson, Bailly, Pup, Morton, Milne, Bruest, Cheyney, Suckling, Lisle, Lowden, Duryea, Tuck etc

On the surface it looks like we will have more depth. I think our backline did a good job in the second half of the year. If Shoe can stand up it frees up Gibson to play the Obrian/Gilbert syled role along with Stratton. Both Goo and Murphy had good years and deserve to stay in for the start of the season. Would like to see the younger players given more of a run next year but you would think the coaching staff will go with experienced players first.

If Smith can stand up for round 1 it will take the heat off Young.

Young is so important to our side, we lack pace and ability to break the lines without him firing. Opposition sides have tagged him to shut us down. He will have a full preseason this year which will assist him to take the next step next year.

Murphy Gillam Gibson
Stratton Shoe Goo
Smith Mitch Young
Burger Buddy Lewis
Rioli Rough Hale

Twister, Hodge Sewell

Changa, Birch, Xman Sub Ossie

Emergency from Bruce, Shiels, Savage, Ladson, Bailly, Pup, Morton, Milne, Bruest, Cheyney, Suckling, Lisle, Lowden, Duryea, Tuck etc

On the surface it looks like we will have more depth. I think our backline did a good job in the second half of the year. If Shoe can stand up it frees up Gibson to play the Obrian/Gilbert syled role along with Stratton. Both Goo and Murphy had good years and deserve to stay in for the start of the season. Would like to see the younger players given more of a run next year but you would think the coaching staff will go with experienced players first.

If Smith can stand up for round 1 it will take the heat off Young.

That would have to be one of the best i/change bench list in the league. It's an indication, I suppose, that spots for our best 22 will be hot.

I really like the sound of the Smith-Burger-Young centreline. That is some serious pace and flair! With the likes of Mitch, Hodge and Sewell tearing up the clearences, the above three running, carrying, and bombing into the forward line - run out of defence from Puopolo and Birch, and Cyril crumbing and tackling in the forward line - not to mention Buddy and Roughy - we will be very hard to stop.

It appears again over the course of a trade/draft period we have probably made signficant changes to our 22. Last year it was adding gibson and burgoyne, hooper and very quickly, stratton.

The things I am really excited about is finally we may have some decent competition for spots in both the midfield and backline: Ellis, lewis, young, bateman and sewell should be feeling the heat from shiels, savage, WX, hallahan, smith while down back shoe should be looking to force out gilham and guerra, murphy, ladson will need to be on their toes from puopolo, WX, suckling etc.

B: Puopolo Stratton Gibson
HB: Hodge Shoe Birchall
C: Smith Burgoyne Buddy
HF: Rioli Roughy Milne
F: Breust Hale WX
R: Renouf/Bailey Mitch Sewell
Int: Bateman Savage Ellis E: Young

Don't not pick Murphy :eek: remember his first 10 rounds were shite last year but he then improved, besides people will ignore you for having an opinion on who should be in the sarting line-up..and I might add, you threw in a player who has pace, is good overhead, who does'nt lose sight of the ball inflight and wont have fresh-airies off the ground because he is too slow to bend down and pick it up...not good enough :eek: :p

B-Guerra, Gilham, Stratton
HB-Birchall, Gibson, Poupolo
C-Smith, Hodge, Young
HF-Lewis, Franklin, Burgoyne
F-Hale, Roughead, Rioli
R-Renouf, Sewell, Mitchell
INT-Murphy, Ellis, Bateman
Sub- Bruce
Emerg- Osborne, Bailey,
Whitecross.

Smith and Poupolo are ready made for round 1, Hale will play the hybrid ruckman role, why'll Bruce will be perfect in the sub position, he's very versatile.

This might be a tough call but any post about possible Hawk sides going forward (well until the team starts playing again) that leave out Tom Murphy I am going to automatically ignore as coming from a place that is totally biased! Surely Murphy's performances last year mean that he has done enough to cement his spot in the round 1 side and the haters need to find a new whipping boy.
Rant over (well until next time)!

Murphy is competing against Whitecross, Cheney, Pup, Bruce (maybe), Savage and potentially Morton. I think there is still a feeling that while improved, people are still not convinced he is the kind of player we need to deliver our next premiership. No doubt he will be playing round 1 but looking at our recruitment and the possible development of some of our youngsters in that part of the ground, no player is safe. Should Shoey develop into a KPD, Stratton may get more roles on smaller players which would also place more pressure on Murphy to hold his spot. This is not to say he is not up to it, but unlike last year where there was little competition, our defenders of small forwards will need to be at their best. Just ask yourself if Murphy would have been getting games in either the St Kilda or Collingwood back lines in 2010.

2010 Team:
B Murphy Gilham Guerra
HB Birchall Gibson Stratton
C Bateman Mitchell Lewis
HF Burgoyne Franklin Rioli
F Osborne Roughead Brown
R Renouf Hodge Sewell

INT Ladson Skipper Young Ellis

EMG Muston Peterson Kayler-Thomson

2011 Team:
B Murphy Gilham Stratton
HB Birchall Gibson Bruce?
C BatemanMitchell Lewis
F Osborne Roughead Guerra
R Renouf Hodge Sewell

INT Ladson Hale Young Ellis

EMG Smith Puopolo Cheney

How can people say Murphy is a guarentee to play? He had a solid 2nd half to the year and good on him for doing so, he saved his career IMO with it. He is a player in our best 30, the coaching staff love his application, and probably want 100% of our list to have his attitude. He offers the club a viable option for our 22.

But if Tom Murphy is 100% cemented in the line-up, we are in trouble. He is a tryer.

Luke Hodge and Cyril Rioli are the types that are 100% in the line-up. Not Murphy. End rant.

Brent Guerra Stephen Gilham Benjamin Stratton
Grant Birchall Ryan Schoenmakers Josh Gibson

This is my current back 6. May need more run, in which case Puopolo was drafted. I think its time Schoey be played at CHB for good. He is the player type we need to come good if we are going to be good.

David Hale Brad Sewell Luke Hodge
Chance Bateman Sam Mitchell Clinton Young

Bateman and Young are our best two runners. Isaac Smith and Shane Savage have to push them out of the starting midfield, but need to prove they can do the role at AFL. Think Young is overated due to being such an important player for us (we don't have his type). Big year for Young in 2011 to prove he is the player many think he is. Bateman has a big year ahead to, lost some supporters, needs to get the run and carry back. Hodge/Mitchell/Sewell on the ball, we enough said really. Hale was recruited as a ruckman, and thats where he starts.

Cyril Rioli Lance Franklin Shaun Burgoyne
Michael Osborne Jarryd Roughead Jordan Lewis

Lewis will push up into the midfield. As will Cyril and Burger. Franklin, Roughead, and Ossie are perm forwards. Need other options, which hopefully Breust and Lisle provide for depth.

Bailey/Renouf, Ellis, Bruce

The bench is a ruckman. Then X and the recruited Cam Bruce.

The players not in the 21 have work to do, and Im happy to modify the 21, but as it currently stands this is what I'd play if we were to play a match 2moro.:)

One thing will be a certain. The blokes that have been hanging onto the "Premiership Player" Status, will be found out very quickly next season.

Blokes in trouble

Guerra
Murphy
Renouf (If Bailey is Fit)
Lewis
Ellis
Osbourne
Birchall
Whitecross
Ladson

The likes of
Poupolo
Smith
Lisle
Savage
Litherland
Hale
Bruce (Maybe)
Cheney
Bailey

Are all going to be pushing for selection. Time to weed out the pretenders and play the contenders.

I will make a prediction, that if poupolo plays and stays in the side, he will become a cult hero. He just looks that type.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blokes in trouble

Guerra
Murphy
Renouf (If Bailey is Fit)
Lewis
Ellis
Osbourne
Birchall
Whitecross
Ladson

The likes of
Poupolo
Smith
Lisle
Savage
Litherland
Hale
Bruce (Maybe)
Cheney
Bailey

Harsh but fair on the blokes in trouble. I would add Sewell to that list but each to their own.

Shiels will play all games. Probably the only junior that will demand selection.
Smith will come in as he does not really replace anybody and he adds long pace.
Hale is in for Skipper, I assume Bailey will play at Suzie's expense.
Bruce for Birchall.
If Schoe forces Gilham out we are looking very smart. I dont rate Gilham but he is not terrible.

Harsh but fair on the blokes in trouble. I would add Sewell to that list but each to their own.

Shiels will play all games. Probably the only junior that will demand selection.
Smith will come in as he does not really replace anybody and he adds long pace.
Hale is in for Skipper, I assume Bailey will play at Suzie's expense.
Bruce for Birchall.
If Schoe forces Gilham out we are looking very smart. I dont rate Gilham but he is not terrible.

Agree on Gilham

Stratton Gibson Puopolo/Guerra
Birchall/Gilham Schoenmakers Suckling/Whitecross
Young Mitchell Smith
Lewis Roughead Bruce/Shiels/Savage
Osborne FRANKLIN Rioli
Bailey Burgoyne Hodge
Int: Ellis Bateman Hale/Lisle Sewell

Watching games.. i wonder why we continue to name and play Buddy anywhere else BUT at Full Forward..

I continue to think.. our gameplan, clarko and Roughead's inability to play CHF has meant Franklin has had to play up the ground... meaning best defenders can rest on a second forward and then take Franklin when he goes inside F50 well rested..

In games in 09/10.. i have watched these over and over again... Franklin is stuffed by the time he goes to FF.. appears he is there to rest rather than kick goals.. he then wonders up field again running around wearing himself out..

Hope clarkson will WAKE up and ask someone else to do the carry and run role.. maybe Isaac Smith is recruited for this... I Hope so..

Seeing Buddy kick 60 goals when he should kick over 100 every year is quiet SAD.

thoughts?

Watching games.. i wonder why we continue to name and play Buddy anywhere else BUT at Full Forward..

I continue to think.. our gameplan, clarko and Roughead's inability to play CHF has meant Franklin has had to play up the ground... meaning best defenders can rest on a second forward and then take Franklin when he goes inside F50 well rested..

In games in 09/10.. i have watched these over and over again... Franklin is stuffed by the time he goes to FF.. appears he is there to rest rather than kick goals.. he then wonders up field again running around wearing himself out..

Hope clarkson will WAKE up and ask someone else to do the carry and run role.. maybe Isaac Smith is recruited for this... I Hope so..

Seeing Buddy kick 60 goals when he should kick over 100 every year is quiet SAD.

thoughts?

Hmmm not sure I completely agree with you.

Buddy's strengths:
Freak goal sense
Second efforts after a marking contest
Speed
Creativity (when he gets the footy, he just runs, opens the game up, I like it).

Something that isn't Buddy's strength:
contested marking.

I think the more we can get Buddy involved in the game the better it is. Roughead is a better contested mark, a lot less effective (though not terrible) after the contest.

I think if Buddy plays deep he is much more likely to be against 2-3 opponents and have the balled bombed onto his head. I say the effectiveness of this tactic is about 1 in 10. Considering we only get about 50 inside 50's a match it's not a great method, especially when it becomes predictable.

The alternative is to have Buddy starting deep and running up the field at full tilt. Again, this means most of his activity will be between 40-70m out, which I'm happy with.

Buddy needs one more string to his bow - to bring people into the game. When he gets the footy in traffic he zooms through, but often his disposal is extremely safe (10-20m chip kick or a safe handball) rather than a really creative handball or kick out to space that sets someone up for an opportunity on goal.

One thing that is quite evident is that the lack of a fourth interchange means someone is going to miss out on regular game time.

I think we have picked a very determined bunch of recruits / men in the draft who can play a role this year. Last year everyone was bemoaning our lack of depth..........It seems the club have done a great job rectifiying that very quickly.........whilst retaining our core group of 'untouchables'.

If a couple of the new recruits can have a big impact on the side this year (Smith, Poupolo, Hale ect) it could be very exciting.

Here's hoping that I hear very little about our pre-season this year.......no news is good news at this time of the year. (as tough as no news can be).

B-Guerra, Gilham, Stratton
HB-Birchall, Gibson, Poupolo
C-Smith, Hodge, Young
HF-Lewis, Franklin, Burgoyne
F-Hale, Roughead, Rioli
R-Renouf, Sewell, Mitchell
INT-Murphy, Ellis, Bateman
Sub- Bruce
Emerg- Osborne, Bailey,
Whitecross.

Smith and Poupolo are ready made for round 1, Hale will play the hybrid ruckman role, why'll Bruce will be perfect in the sub position, he's very versatile.

I've been holding back, but this is gold. 2011'll be full of surprises.

B Murphy Gilham Stratton
HB Birchall Gibson Ellis
C Bateman Mitchell Lewis
F Osborne Roughead Guerra
R Renouf Hodge Sewell

INT Ladson Hale Young Bruce?

EMG Smith Puopolo Cheney

B: Guerra/Puopolo Gilham Gibson
HB: Birchall Stratton Bruce
C: Bateman Hodge Young
HF: Burgoyne Franklin Lewis
F: Osborne Roughead Rioli
R: Bailey Sewell Mitchell
Int:Ellis, Hale/Renouf, Smith
Sub: Whitecross/ Shiels/ Savage
Emerg: Hale/Renouf, Murphy, Cheney, Whitecross/ Shiels/ Savage

Hmmm not sure I completely agree with you.

Buddy's strengths:
Freak goal sense
Second efforts after a marking contest
Speed
Creativity (when he gets the footy, he just runs, opens the game up, I like it).

Something that isn't Buddy's strength:
contested marking.

I think the more we can get Buddy involved in the game the better it is. Roughead is a better contested mark, a lot less effective (though not terrible) after the contest.

I think if Buddy plays deep he is much more likely to be against 2-3 opponents and have the balled bombed onto his head. I say the effectiveness of this tactic is about 1 in 10. Considering we only get about 50 inside 50's a match it's not a great method, especially when it becomes predictable.

The alternative is to have Buddy starting deep and running up the field at full tilt. Again, this means most of his activity will be between 40-70m out, which I'm happy with.

Buddy needs one more string to his bow - to bring people into the game. When he gets the footy in traffic he zooms through, but often his disposal is extremely safe (10-20m chip kick or a safe handball) rather than a really creative handball or kick out to space that sets someone up for an opportunity on goal.

I do see your points...but my pov is Buddy at FF leading out dunstall style means the team is best placed to kick goals..

Buddy at FF not leading means he takes 2-3 defenders with him creating space and opps for others... Buddy at FF draws the defence to him...

Buddy at FF (circa 08) gives him the whole 50 arc to lead to the ball.. the only defenders i can think of who can perhaps match him on the lead is Tarrant..

Buddy at FF is exactly what we all want, he either kicks goals or his presence there will give others opportunities.. we just have to be smart when finding the loose man..

I agree that Buddy is needed at FF and having our resting rucks in the forward line (because of fewer interchange positions will be available & midfielders will be priority) should help to reduce double teaming on Buddy by opposition talls. Hale in the square if Buddy leads. Schoey is a forward and all "at sea" in defence.

My 21+ Sub are:

B: Guerra Gibson Stratton
HB: Birchall Gilham Bruce
C: Smith Mitchell Young
HF: Burgoyne Roughead Schoenmakers
F: Hale Franlin Rioli
R: Renouf Hodge Sewell
Int:Bateman, Lewis, Whitecross
Sub: Whitecross/ Shiels/ Savage
Emerg: Shiels or Hallahan

Remove this Banner Ad

The team of 2011 compared to 2010...