The time is now!

Remove this Banner Ad

Moti.com

Senior List
May 10, 2001
Rooville
There should be no more pussy footing around, the Roos have to get serious and change the side. We can definately limp through this season and alright, but who wants to be involved in mediocrity.
Makepeace and Clayton are two great examples. One is too short to play a key defence role, and he was lucky Vardy went off when he did, and the other has very poor skills and a lack of courage. But, at the moment, these two are important, and funnily enough, Clayton is our best kick!
We need to push the next generation through, like Collingwood and Geelong, and play themm for long periods of the match.
Guys like Stevo, Simpson and Grant are playing old school footy. They are relatively slow (compared to the AFL average), their disposal is very poor for elite footballers, and their decision making skills are not what they should be.
Simmo has been great this year, but if you gave Buckley his disposals, we would probably be sitting at 7 and 2.
It may seem to be harsh, but you can't win premierships, and lets face it thats what they are there for, without a combination of tenacity and skill. We seem to have a lot of tenacity, but very little skill.
That is why, in particular, Harris and Smith should get a lot of time midfield, Junior should play, Crowe be given a start to key defence, and Petrie should be given a go in the ruck occassionally.
There are others, but that would require a labotomy of Denis and I haven't got time this week.
Time to build now, because I have finally reached the decision that our premiership players have no more left to give.

Moti,

I have been one of the biggest advocates for "out with the old, in with the new" and also Claytons biggest critic;

BUT

I think this transition cannot be made in 7 days and at the moment doofus number 23 is more than earning his pay packet. Agree with Junior, Crowey, Dylan, Harro and Petrie

BUT

We can only bring in a couple at a time, wait until they adjust then bring in a couple more. Therefore, the club has done the right thing with Teague and Hardo; now Harro and Junior can have an opportunity, then hopefully over the next month Dylan, Petrie and THE CROW, will all get their chance.

I agree to an extent Moti. I'm all for giving these highly rated youngsters a go.

But who goes? Mcik looks short of it no doubt and i dont think we would lose much (except 270 odd games worth of experience) by bringing in a Crowe or a Foott. Mick is wonderful in the one on one wrestles, but thats about where his strengths now end. He is too slow against leading players and looks unsure of himself now when battling for the ball.

Blakey also looked short of it today and looks to have lost a yard of pace. He gets a few more credits in the bank due to limited pre-season etc and his histrory says he has the body to recover. But time has to be running out.

Makepeace? I agree, he shouldnt be in defence. I havent hated him there like some have, but he does look to be under-sized (how can he be 180cm?!) and out-classed at different times. But i think he has a place in our team as his skills are good and he seems an intelligent footballer. I've always said he'd make a decent crumbing forward rotating on the pill due to his hardness, courage and skills.

Clayton? I dont know what this guy has to do to get respect, but he is in career best form (possibly not that hard all things considered!!) and is making a solid contribution every week. I've been of the opinion in the past that the fact he is in our best 22 has been an indictment on our club and a very sad reflection on the quality of our list. But i have been made to eat my words seeing how hard he has worked at improving his skills and commitment and seeing the contribution he has made to our side this year. I think we just have to deal with the fact that even though he looks like a dill, he is now an effective footballer.

Well said Moti. It is the perfect opportunity for our young guys to put their hands up and show us something in the MKs. I expect if these guys are as good as what everyone says they are, then they should be dominating in the MKs. I've seen a couple of MK games this year, and must admit that the only one that has shown something was Drew Petrie, and he can't get in because of the form of Spider / Porter. Their time will come, but at the moment our experienced guys are the best option in my opinion.

Brutal Planet of Moti

That's a big statement Moti. Wouldn't think that Stevo-Shags and Simmo are done yet but I can see what you're saying without taking your 'brutal Kangaroo Cull' literally.

You've overeacted with some brutal home truths that are 'words of fustration' ....that's how I view it and understand it.

You know that CHF is the hardest spot to play and we don't have anyone capable of playing CHF with conviction.

BUT

Footy is a 'funny game' I know we can turn around in SIX days and play like we've been on a diet of ANGRY PILLS (with milk & Cookies);)

Originally posted by Moti.com

Guys like Stevo, Simpson and Grant are playing old school footy. They are relatively slow (compared to the AFL average), their disposal is very poor for elite footballers, and their decision making skills are not what they should be.

So, you'd be happy for next week's team changes to read:

IN: Smith, D.Motlop, Crowe
OUT: Stevens, Simpson, Grant

What's the 22 that you want Pagan to name next week?

Nice post.. I agree....

Bring on the youngsters..

There is one guy who should be dropped.. Boomer,Grant & Pickett have got back to form to an extent, Pickett is going hard, running and tackling.. if he's doing that, you know hes close to finding form and kicking a bag. Grant.. has been ok today and last week.. not brilliant but has improved and should keep improving.. Harvey, 4 last week and 1(2?!) today.. still not his best.. but at least they've all improved from the Hawk and West Coast games.. but there is much room for improvement..

King.. well what can I say.. the guy is out of form in a bad way.. he missed 2 pretty easy shots today, and didnt have alot of pressure.. shots that last year he would almost have been guaranteed to get.. and what makes it worse is that well you could say its bad enough if a player like him misses them in half an hour.. LET ALONE UNDER 3 MINUTES.. he MUST be dropped.. its the only way.. we cannot persist with him, he's a liabilty to our defence if hes there.. dont know who to bring in for him.. how is Smith when defending?

Now some other thoughts on individual players:
Mick:(:( It really does hurt now.. to watch him playing, when you feel worried when he gets the ball.. it hurts to feel that way.. but u do kinda feel that way now.. because Mick of old.. is no Longer Mick, its like Mick isnt there ne more.. its like he has gone.. and the Mick we know and loved has gone.. and we're left with the broken down body, that used to hold a spirit and a name.. that was mighty and fearless.. and a great fullback.. we liked to call him: MIGHTY MICK MARTYN.. but Mighty Mick Martyn he is no more.. he is more like Mutilated Mick Martyn..:( I admire Mick, for his courage and strength and love of the game, and the want in his heart to go on.. but times up for Mighty Mick.. and I think its only fair he goes out in fashion... one more day, one more game.. a win I hope.. but I think thats all for Mighty Mick, he should undo his laces and hang up his boots, kiss that Number 4 jumper, hold it close to his heart.. say goodbye to those mates.. tell them good luck.. say his last words.. and let his legs rest.. that is the only way for Mighty Mick, bring him back as some type of coach.. but 1 more game is all he has.. his legs cant cope, nor the rest of his body.. his mind is failing him.. and a game in honor of him should be a game won. Carried off the ground, and given a lap of honor (something we did not get with Carey.. what a horror the end of his days at Arden St were..) should be all we see of Mick in his no.4 jumper.. Btw, how is Bryan Martyn, I can only assume he lives on as if he had died it would have been announced would it not? A last game for Mick in front of his dad.. how brilliant that would be.

John Blakey- what a champion.. a quiet acheiver.. but 351games.. that were a credit to AFL footy.. must be one of the most honest and genuine, nice footy players around.. he treats his body like people follow religion, like a temple.. but the temple is now old.. and its walls, once so unbreakable.. and now very very thin, all cracked.. time for him too to hang up those boots.. last year I thought he would be around for anotehr 4 years at least.. but I am not even sure if he will last this year, I wouldnt be surprised if he hung up his boots before the seasons out.. he has been an absolute tribute to the North Melbourne Footy Club.. but his body is no longer such a great temple, but rather a temple that has had many short fixes in wake of its collapse (Blakey's retirement)

The 2 most obvious.. there are others.. but they may have a bit more time.

So my opinions for the youngsters to come in.. and the elders to go out over the next month or 2:

Out:
Mick
Blakey
:King (To find form.. not sure whether to put him out for only 1 week as it would only give a youngster 1 week....)
In:
Jnr
Crowe
Smith

And I know I will probably cop alot of ****e for this... but I think it might even be worht dropping Burton and bringing in Petrie.. now now, settle down.. I have my reasons: Burton is getting older.. and well has a couple of yeaars left.. and as well as he's been playing.. I think we should start winding him down.. now y I said drop him rather than Porter.. because IMHO the only reason Porter isnt playing that well is because he is being put on the bench even when he is playing well (like the 2nd qtr today) and not being given much of a go later on.. and Burton is getting all this game time.. and I dont think Porter can play like that.. I think it gets him down.. when he is moved on then off the field.. and he cant play well like that.. I think if he was given more time on the ground, he would do alot better.. and rest Petrie on a forwward flank.. Petrie deserves a go, we all know it.

JMO..

Go Roos
Please.. beat essendon

Time to put my money where my mouth is huh!

Here we go:

B: Archer Crowe Makepeace
HB: Teague McCartney Stevens
C: King Harris Pickett
HF: Harding Morrell D. Motlop
F: Colbert Rocca Clayton
Foll: Burton Simpson Harvey
I/C: Smith, Grant, Blakey, Porter
EMERG: Rawlings, Baird, Robbins

IN: Smith, Motlop, Crowe
OUT : Martyn, Robbins, Baird

Would like to be able to choose :
Winnie, Corey Jones, Cochrane, He who should remain nameles

- Martyn out for Crowe - Essendon are without its main gun, so Crowe's opponent will not be a superstar. Good chance to see how he goes. Can't really find an opponent for Mick.
- Robbins out for Smith - Unlucky, and hasn't done much wrong but out of the rest is probably the least likely to be missed. Smith is a definite as he is all class.
- Baird out for D. Motlop - Again, no real reason to be out, but I feel the Roos need more run and Motlop will not only give that but also a target up forward. Would like one ruckman instead but again can't see it happenning, particuarly with Salmon in the Dons side.

POSITIONS:
- I have put Stevo at half back as I can't justify him in the centre. Believe he will go in at times but would like to see more tlalented users of the ball in there.
- Pickett is lazy, needs to do something. McLeod he could be if given the chance.
- Grant and Blakey perhaps should be out, but not going to happen.

So there you go, see how you like it. Robbins and Baird are unlucky but they have been given a chance and look OK, but have been a little down in the last couple. Will return, but it means one of the senior guys will have to leave.

OVERALL: Still an average tall setup up forward and maybe a lack of runners, but Rawlings and Sinclair haven't done enough, just yet.

Here we go:

So when it comes down to it, you've said that Stevens, Grant, and Simpson play old style footy, and yet, you would have all of them in the 22 for next week. If you can't drop them from your side, then why the hell should Pagan do it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shagga was doin a lot of hard work down our end. When u sit down the goals you may not get an overall view of the game but u can certainly see who is putting in and who isn't. Makey didn't look too flash at all, was it just me or was he a little bit slow off the mark especially with some of his kick outs?

Here we go:

Would like to be able to choose :
Winnie, Corey Jones, Cochrane, He who should remain nameles

- Martyn out for Crowe - Essendon are without its main gun, so Crowe's opponent will not be a superstar. Good chance to see how he goes. Can't really find an opponent for Mick.
- Robbins out for Smith - Unlucky, and hasn't done much wrong but out of the rest is probably the least likely to be missed. Smith is a definite as he is all class.
- Baird out for D. Motlop - Again, no real reason to be out, but I feel the Roos need more run and Motlop will not only give that but also a target up forward. Would like one ruckman instead but again can't see it happenning, particuarly with Salmon in the Dons side.

POSITIONS:
- I have put Stevo at half back as I can't justify him in the centre. Believe he will go in at times but would like to see more tlalented users of the ball in there.
- Pickett is lazy, needs to do something. McLeod he could be if given the chance.
- Grant and Blakey perhaps should be out, but not going to happen.

So there you go, see how you like it. Robbins and Baird are unlucky but they have been given a chance and look OK, but have been a little down in the last couple. Will return, but it means one of the senior guys will have to leave.

OVERALL: Still an average tall setup up forward and maybe a lack of runners, but Rawlings and Sinclair haven't done enough, just yet.

Hmm looks ok.. I want my turn now.. Hahahahaaaa:D
Your all gonna love this fun filled team of youngsters arent u?!?!:D

FB:Archer Crowe (Yahoo) S.Motlop
HB:Baird McCartney Teague
MF:Smith Simpson Grant
HF:Jnr Petrie Pickett
FF:Clayton Rocca Harvey
R:porter Stevens Harris
IC:Makepeace Morrel Harding Robbins
EMG:The guys who were dropped..

Hahahaa.. that is my team..
In:Crowe Smith Petrie S.Motlop
Out:Burton Martyn King Blakey :):)( Didnt even mean to drop him, sorry Blakey)

Some explanations for those wanting to slit my wrists:

Dropped Burton, because I feel Port would do alot better if given sufficent game time, rather than put on the bench after 1 qtr and left there to rot away.. Sorry Burton- Bran in Petrie, because we all know he deserves a go.. and I put him at CHF.. coz IMO Morrel isnt actually doing that well there..

Martyn- Self Explanitory really.. doesnt seem sure(when with the ball) ne more, slow.. you name it, its gone wrong for him

King-Out of form.. needs to be dropped

Blakey- didnt actually drop him on purpose.. you could bring him in for Makepeace/Robbins.. and I may have done that if I was thinking about it..

I think you can work out the ins.. and explanations...

Thats my team..

GO ROOS

As you can see.. a young side.. and a side of the future.. but does have experience:D

this is a transition year boys and gurls....i'm in a philosophical mood and i've got to say that this mellowing out, has got me thinking that things will change this year, and next year will be a platform for a new team and we could look a lot like melbourne are now (blooding a few younger boys).

I reckon Harris played pretty well today (still a bit too much like our midfield ie ball straight to foot without looking), harding played a great game for a newbie, baird will get more experienced and should become a better player for his time on ground, morrell i'm sort of undecided as to whether he's worth having (i know he has big wraps, but he has to kick goals, and they've seriously dried up), we 've got a lot to work on as far as our games goes, and we all know that, but i reckon this year will be a year of very hard decisions...i reckon martyn will have to retire, blakey may do so but his game was pretty good today, stevo should be relegated to backline, because he can't cut it in the engine room anymore but his tackling is first class, simmo will soon learn how to kick (the same goes for colbert), mccartney will stay in the backline, colbert will move forward, and yeh, i'm tired....i'll let you guys speculate for now

So Moti you have a dig at Stevo and Simmo yet you drop 2 new players yet you want to bring in new players.

How about for a start we drop Porter and either King, Grant , Pickett or Harvey

Without Stevens or Simpson we wouldn't have won a game for the year.

If Pagan doesn't make some big changes this week then he is guttless.

Shinners,

U asked what team I would put in for this week, and I gave it.
I am not going to be drawn into completely destroying the fabric of the side to promote youngsters, no matter how much I would like to.
Robbins and Baird have been good, but I feel that it is time to see how two more youngsters go. At the moment, I feel that Blakey, Grant and King in particular are playing poorly, but probably needed for team balance.
Taking Baird out for Crowe in a way means that we will still have decent experiance in defence. If Crowe plays well, a guy like Blakey doesn't, and Baird plays well in the twos, then I would take an experianced guy like Blakey out for Baird, because he earned it. Then we would have the two young guys that have shown their worth rather than two guys that haven't showed anything. I just think small steps.
What I would hope to achieve is to be able to expose most of our youngsters to senior footy at one point, not necessarily all at once.
Simpson, for instance, must stay in the centre until a better option presents. Tactically, I would probably have Smith and Harris probably changing in the centre from either the forward pocket or the bench. If the two play well, then the next week, or even later in the game, they could be in the centre together, thus taking a spot from a regular.
That is how it should work. But the difference is that they HAVE TO GET THE CHANCE!
If the new guys offer a good combination between skill, aggression and overall effectiveness, then they deserve their spot. I would hope, due to the lack of options we have at the moment, that when the young guys are given a chance, they take it and are able to impose themselves in the side. Then we might be able to give Tashi the opportunity to have a side full of youngsters.

Team Balance

I tend to agree with a whole lot of posts but NOT to drop SPIDER, he's ruckwork & around the ground ball skills have been the reason behind North's FOUR WINS!

I thought he gave NORTH first use of the ball in the 2nd quarter when we 'WOKE UP' from our weekly slumber and in the last we had first use out from the centre but we couldn't convert.

The fact that Porter isn't making the impact he's expected on a regular basis. He isn't suited at CHF, Morrell isn't getting to the spot while Colby.....isn't a goalkicker ....neither is McCartney.

I said a few weeks ago.....David King is best on the attack, like Shaggs, his man on man defensive skills are very suss and while he may be a 'confidence player' I wouldn't be surprised if he gets dropped. We need 'LEADERS' and Kingy being a 'yappy' leader who NORTH need and rely upon is the reason why we're lacking
PUNCH ...likewise for Choppy. It's a call that needs to made....either give Kingy the licence to roam or drop him!!!

Is Pagan holding back our development by keeping in solid/loyal clubmen like Blakey & Martyn who aren't helping the team advance.....think about it......it's a tough call but we're not going anywhere while the 'much loved veterans' are stagnating.

Moti, you are an idiot........an absolute idiot.

We lose by two points and you call for blood. Stevens is a superstar and you obviously cant accept that. I have not a clue why.

You ramble on and on and on about 'your' opinions and 'your' tactics, but, you are not the coach. Your opinion counts for zero, zilch, diddly squat.

We lost - get over it!!

If this is the way you react to a loss, well I'd give away footy If I were you because you just wont enjoy it. It is painfully clear that you have some sort of authority craving or fantasy and I am sick to the death of you.

I konw the rest of you are gonna slag me for it, but I dont give a stuff!!

:( ---------------------------------------:(

"Talk is cheap"

Words are cheap

Originally posted by The Rewboy
Stevens is a superstar and you obviously cant accept that. I have not a clue why.

.............because you just wont enjoy it.
"Talk is cheap"

Rewboy,

I don't personally know Moti and I don't think we'll ever get together for a chat but after reading a few hundred of his posts you can see where he is coming from.....I don't agree with all his posts but some have purpose and I don't believe for a minute that everything a fan/member may say in 'bad light' towards a player is taken literally. Everyone has thier own levels of standard of defining words like 'superstar' .....'champion'....'hack'

We all know that the most important position on the ground is CHF and at the moment we're having enough trouble to find a solution.....goes to show 'how much of a real 'champion' the DUCK was/is'

I can't tolerate sub-standard performances from our 'usual suspects' that have been the backbone / heart of our team.
Obviously the posts Moti have a 'clear high expectation' of the usual suspects who are under performing and that's understandably unacceptable in not only my mind but alot of 'passionate' supporters. Then again, the word 'passion' is defined on many levels in each individual. I'm sure you are dissappointed and are able to refrain from getting 'trapped' wheras Moti HAS his own way of releasing his fustration and to me, that's purely underatandable. Poke fun at it and let it go right here on Big Footy. :)

There was a thread a week or so ago along the lines of when is ayoungster ready etc. Someone made the VERY valid point that at training in drills and praccy games our senior players like Mickey and Blakes are still a long way ahead of the younger players. Blakey played two vfl matches and was best on ground in both, better than any of the players who have had their name thrown up to come in (except probably Petrie). My point is the reserves are there for a reason, to bring the kids on in an environment where they can gain confidence and refine there game with maximum ground time. When theyare ready they will be dominating at the level below, not because they have shown a bit and were high draft picks should they warrant selection.

Moti,

I rate your posts and dont think you're an idiot. I havent read the full content (way too much info fot this time of the morning, and hey, thats what my job is for!!:D )

Only comment i'll make for now is i cannot understand why you would drop John Baird after screaming for youth to be brought in and persisted with. I agree, i want to see Rod Crowe in soon. We look like we are lacking a medium to tall sized 3rd defender right now and reckon thi sguy could make an impact.

Its hard to say this considering the quality of the bloke and footballer, but yesterday John Blakey looked incredibly short of it. Looks to have lost a yard of pace and at some stages was running up and down on the one spot when chasing blokes who arent that quick anyway. Yeah he took some nice over head grabs, but we expect that from him. But his overall contribution, or lack thereof, was a major concern. I'd be keeping Baird ahead of him right now.

Agree, Smith must come in. Skillful, intelligent and knows where to go to get it, and whats more, knows how to use it when he does!

Shinners,

U asked what team I would put in for this week, and I gave it. I am not going to be drawn into completely destroying the fabric of the side to promote youngsters, no matter how much I would like to.

It goes back to my original point. Why do you expect Pagan to make a selection choice that you yourself won't make?

You had a go at Stevens, Simpson, and Grant in your first post, but then you found reasons to have them in the team for this week. Even your comment about "the fabric of the team" indicates that these players have some value in the side. Therefore, you've conceded that they are good enough to be in our best 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

The time is now!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back