Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A lot at stake tonight. Whoever wins this one obviously gets the rights to Ugle-Hagan. (Just ask that random guy on that Essendon forum) *Tongue firmly in cheek.

In all seriousness though, this is going to be an interesting contest tonight. I’m surprisingly a lot more confident than I was leading into the Carlton game. If we are to be taken seriously this year it’s a game we should win. Particularly coming off an extremely disappointing loss.
Bevo never ceases to amaze me with some of his selections.

I thought with the shortened quarters it would benefit Essendon‘s fast game plan by reducing the fatigue. Hopefully we keep our five year winning streak against them, but the supporters seem up and about.

Essendon supporters are talking about sending Hooker forward. If that does happen it'll be interesting to see who blinks first - does Cordy go back or do we keep him forward and force the mismatch?

Essendon supporters are talking about sending Hooker forward. If that does happen it'll be interesting to see who blinks first - does Cordy go back or do we keep him forward and force the mismatch?
Hooker forward means they have two tall forwards. They have McKernan (who is playing good football) and nobody else.
Hooker would want to stand and wrestle because he'll probably get Lachie Young a lot who isn't a KPD, and certainly not a one on one beast. Hooker's slower than Wallis in gumboots though so we'd want to kill them on transition otherwise our backline should issue letter of apology to the football gods.

Just hope they put in a better effort than they did against Carlton. Having Crozier back in the defensive 50 will be a big boost, hope Suckling makes the selection choice worthwhile.

BTW, whats the news with Duryea?

Just hope they put in a better effort than they did against Carlton. Having Crozier back in the defensive 50 will be a big boost, hope Suckling makes the selection choice worthwhile.

BTW, whats the news with Duryea?
duryea had a setback in his recovery going to miss atleast another month

I am confident. I think we win 2 lines our defence will beat their forwards, our midfield beats their midfield. We will need limit the damage done in our forward line and stop quick rebounds if we do this we win.

Not sure if I heard correctly but we are favourites with the bookies?

I think Bumbers are going better than us at the moment.
Bombers have Stringer, Shiel, McKenna, Heppell, Danniher all out.

If we can’t beat them with those out then we are seriously struggling.

Surely we send Cordy to Hooker. Hooker is ten times more dangerous as a forward than Cordy. Cordys role in the forward line will be to stop Hooker from intercept marking so if Hooker goes forward Cordy follows him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stating the plainly obvious, we are hardly a settled side right now. We have several players who are on a 'wing and a prayer': Dale, Suckling, Richards, Young even JJ if he fails to be serious. Then we have another first gamer who we all want to see but from whom we can't expect too much. We have a back man playing CHF which is purely stop gap IMO and a midfielder (Libba) who looked fatigued last week.
If we can somehow bring a high pressure team performance however, we have a good chance of doing well. Anything less and the road to this year's finals will likely be closed.

My worries are stopping Essendon’s run off half back.

And 4 changes this week. There’s no continuity.

English needs to back, forward and middle
Hopefully we can win more around the stoppages and bring the ball speed
We match-up better this week hopefully not a 105 point turn around

If we lose with their outs then we’re not progressing as we should be.

Staggered on McLean being an out.

Essendon don't have a good inside mid brigade - and are missing Heppell and Shiel from that group. If we have a so-called elite midfield they should be showing it tonight by dominating clearances.

That said, I am very concerned about their run from half back given our atrocious attempts at preventing Carlton from slicing through our forwards and mids last week. Bombers have some very quick and effective players back there, and it wouldn't surprise me if we won contested ball, inside 50s etc. but they were a lot more effective and efficient when they went inside 50 and won fairly easily.

As such, I will be taking $2.10 on Essendon (which is a gift and must be because of our recent H2H record) to cushion the blow if they do end up running over the top of a slower Bulldogs team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back