The UK working visa process

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah always put the main reason of your trip is to travel. And secondly, for casual work.

Anyway I will keep you lot all updated, others do the same for us!

thats what annoyed me is that there is so little communication.

i sent of my application, got a call nearly 4 weeks later that i'd be needing a phohe interview. was a bit like oooo shit this isn't good.

I am taking the fact that I have not heard anything from them then as somewhat good news....hopefully! Geez this is a stress. Gets you are right, it is only my whole damn life on hold waiting for this.

I have resigned from work here etc etc.

Will keep you updated on the progress.

mattyh, speaking to people who have got them before, no news is good news. And then one day you will open your email inbox, and bam there should be the email there waiting for you.

well its been a week since mine went off, i expect another week or 2 before i hear something. if i havent heard anything in week 3 ill start to get concerned, but im not going till the end of aug so im not too concerned. but it would be nice if i could get my bank statements back by the end of the month so i can get my tax done quickly...

well its been a week since mine went off, i expect another week or 2 before i hear something. if i havent heard anything in week 3 ill start to get concerned, but im not going till the end of aug so im not too concerned. but it would be nice if i could get my bank statements back by the end of the month so i can get my tax done quickly...

When I rang them yesterday they were firm in saying that I would not hear anything until the 15 working days is complete!!

16 work days later...still nothing. Rang them and they said my application is with an assessment officer. Will get an answer 'soon', however long that takes.

Do they realise that you temporarily put your life on hold for them...what if was not approved etc etc.??

They are very ignorant I agree.

Apparently it doesn't take long at all after it gets to an 'assesment officer'.

Keep checking that email inbox champ.

just about to go through this very process, moving to London area for at least a year.

Employer in UK has done all the paperwork for a work permit (not a WHV) and I'm waiting for it to arrive here and shoot it off to the High Commission. Need to leave Syd by August 19. Chances are good?

btw, you posters moving to London know of the best places to catch the footy on telly? As someone mentioned earlier, sure will be bizzare getting up at 5am Sat morning to watch it. But I'll be keen. :p

I am at melting point now! Still nothing today so I rang them again. This time the lady says that she is not really sure why it is taking so long and that I should ring back tomorrow (no charge) and she will find out. Been 18 working days now.

Beyond a joke!

just about to go through this very process, moving to London area for at least a year.

Employer in UK has done all the paperwork for a work permit (not a WHV) and I'm waiting for it to arrive here and shoot it off to the High Commission. Need to leave Syd by August 19. Chances are good?

btw, you posters moving to London know of the best places to catch the footy on telly? As someone mentioned earlier, sure will be bizzare getting up at 5am Sat morning to watch it. But I'll be keen. :p
Walkabout pubs.

Biometrics? When I went in 2001 we didn't have any of that. Just fill out the form and send your info away to Canberra or Sydney or wherever. Didn't cost $400+ either - more like $100-$200.

Don't believe the guiff about not being able to work in your profession - I picked up a job for 35 squid an hour in IT. A mate who came over and worked in a pub nearly choked when he realised I got more on Monday than he did for the whole week working 10 hour days. Good times.

Walkabout has the GF, and they repeat it later in the morning. Funny showing up to a pub at 9AM with drunk people already spilling out onto the pavement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biometrics? When I went in 2001 we didn't have any of that. Just fill out the form and send your info away to Canberra or Sydney or wherever. Didn't cost $400+ either - more like $100-$200.

It's apparently only gone up by that amount in the last year or so.

:thumbsdown:

I have done some research. Satanta sports provides 3 live AFL games a week on pay tv in the UK. I will be signing up as soon as I arrive!
if you find a nearby pub which will show the games its better just to use them, the sports package isn't particularly cheap.

in dublin, the woolshed shows all the setenta games on a weekend.

most big english towns would have somewhere which does the same.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/06/24/1214073246971.html

check this out.

good news for people who come over and want to stay abit longer.

i'm assuming this will mean people originally get a 24-month visa with the ability to work for 12-months.

and if they qualify they are granted an additoinal 12-month visa which they can work for the entirety of.

i'm also assuming that the to qualify the requirements wouldn't be as strict as they currently are now.

you will find this time of the year it'll take longer because it's coming into our winter, and summer over here so more people are applying.

It better bloody not take 20 days.

Otherwise I will have to pay for the rest of my flight without confirmation of my visa being approved. It's high time so seats are scarce...

Mine will have been gone away 16 working days by the end of the week.

It better bloody not take 20 days.

Otherwise I will have to pay for the rest of my flight without confirmation of my visa being approved. It's high time so seats are scarce...

Mine will have been gone away 16 working days by the end of the week.
when is your flight??

Remove this Banner Ad

The UK working visa process

Remove this Banner Ad

Back