The UK working visa process

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah havent got the email yet mate, today is the 16th working day for me.

Only about 3 hours to go today as well....little bit stressful the whole process!

I keep questioning little things on my application now...but yeah apparently if you dont hear from them during the process it is a good sign....i hope anyway!

Edit: Just on the VISA bit, they took out the $462 the same day I applied, I was under the impression you were charged that if you were successful or not in getting it approved...

I'm leaving at the end of the month and will be backpacking around Europe for 3 months (or until the money runs out :eek:) before moving to the UK to live and work, although after 3-4 months travelling I might just end up coming home and saving up to go again next year.

Man how do you guys save up enough to travel for so long? :( How much do you usually save up?? I am looking to do a Europe or England travel when I graduate at the end of the next yr hopefully. How much can I be expecting to be saving up??

it is hard saving, but it will be worth it in the long run. i got 15k set aside for my travels. ive done some things like move back in with my folks and rode my bike a lot more to save money. it woulda been simipler to lay off the grog for a while, but a mans gotta have fun right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah but so does setanta, if you get sky you will more than likely get the sports package that has setanta, trust me watching footy at home is better than watching it at a pub full of bogan aussies.

Haha. Still scarred from the 2006 grannie episode at the slug I assume!
Well, I would be too! :D If you're not nicky and live in london - there are heaps of walkabouts and other pubs that show the footy. Pop down to Camden on a lazy sunday afternoon to be 'christened' at 'The Church', then follow to masses to Shepards Bush...

I've lived in london for more than 2 years now and can't see myself going home anytime soon. Although with the cost of living sky rocketing fast, I might investigate northern england sooner than I would have liked...

I just renewed my ancestry visa, which was relatively straght forward. All I had to do was to send off all my entire identity and pay around £400 to stay here a further 5 years. I'm probably going to apply for a british passport in a couple of years. The price atm.... £800. :eek:

Btw - I could have sworn that Dublin is as pricey as London atm! :confused:

Haha. Still scarred from the 2006 grannie episode at the slug I assume!
Well, I would be too! :D If you're not nicky and live in london - there are heaps of walkabouts and other pubs that show the footy. Pop down to Camden on a lazy sunday afternoon to be 'christened' at 'The Church', then follow to masses to Shepards Bush...

I've lived in london for more than 2 years now and can't see myself going home anytime soon. Although with the cost of living sky rocketing fast, I might investigate northern england sooner than I would have liked...

I just renewed my ancestry visa, which was relatively straght forward. All I had to do was to send off all my entire identity and pay around £400 to stay here a further 5 years. I'm probably going to apply for a british passport in a couple of years. The price atm.... £800. :eek:

Btw - I could have sworn that Dublin is as pricey as London atm! :confused:

hahaha for the last few months of london i lived with my auntie and uncle in hampstead and used to walk past the church on sundays to get to kentish town tube.... DUDE, we have very differing tastes in terms of places to go. That place looked shocking :D ;)

For those who haven't been, i've heard on entry to the church they give you a plastic bag with a six pack of fosters tinnies :D

yeah i got mine back yesterday. they slapped it a few pages in my passport. i thought they would of put it in after my last trip. yeah i gotta arrange travel insurance myself. dont know whether to go into a travel agent or try someone like world nomads on the net.

Yeah it's for a year.

Insurance is pretty annoying but it would be ricidulous not to get it. I will initially get it for 12 months and see how we are going.

Damn money goes easy.

Just blew another $400 on a hotel room for 2 nights down at Glenelg with the missus...ahhh well, easy come easy go, its only money after all!

okey dokey... work permit has been approved in the UK, got the email on friday with the details and I've gone ahead and completed an online application. Waiting for the actual physical permit to arrive pronto.

Got my biometric appointment at Sydney tomoz morning. (Fighting through the bloody World Catholic youth day crowds) :mad:.

The info I've got says you just take your appointment form, online app form printout + photo, and passport to the consulate and they do all the biometric data and stamp yer form.

Then can you immediately send that and all originals of supporting evidence (degrees etc) to the consulate?

Some of you mention that you got an email stating it was all good to go. How long was the wait between sending it off to Canberra and the email, and then getting the actual passport and documents back again? We fly out August 19th. :( Could be cutting it fine...

I had my biometrics done on the 10th of June and got my visa back at my house the 9th of July. I sent my bank account details etc off straight away and i heard back about 16 working days afterwards (about 3 weeks).

I fly out late August cant wait!

Well I leave on Tuesday!

Let you all know how it goes and hope all you blokes have a bloody good time.

Wish me luck at the airport...not gonna be easy with me mum and my girlfriend crying and stuff....arghh!

Gets,

You will LOVE Cardiff. Compared with Adelaide, obviously you are going to be in for a bit of shock weatherwise, but it is one of the most under rated cities in the UK and the nightlife will make it look like Las Vegas compared with Adelaide. Might be worth heading across to Swansea as well and sampling some of the nightlife there as well, only about 25-30 minutes away from Cardiff.

Good Luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

The UK working visa process

Remove this Banner Ad

Back