List Mgmt. The unchecked power of player managers

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm glad this subject has been brought up, I was only talking about it the other day with a fellow footy fan.

Player managers have become way too big and in turn, wield way too much power & influence.

I don't have the answer to it right now but will come up with a suitable solution in the coming weeks but one thing is for sure, it's another goddam awful mess that requires some proper fixing.

The AFLPA, the player managers and the players themselves all have way too much say leaving the clubs themselves with not a lot.

Saw this one raised multiple times yesterday, the strong inference being that player management groups are driving trade and list management outcomes under the thinly-veiled threat of future trouble if the club doesn't comply.

Ie - "Do this trade and get our player where he wants to go, or you won't be getting our players in future - we'll push them elsewhere."

It's yet another factor clubs are having to take into account when list building - I can't delist or trade that player, or refuse to do this trade, because it'll piss his management off and impact us in future.

Some of these groups like TLA and Connors Sports have become huge and represent a large percentage of the player pool. They're now using that power in much the way a union does, to put pressure on.

But the AFL players already have a union...?

It sounds like they're ripe for being pruned with a cap on how many players you can represent. That'll never happen because they're part of the inner circle of the AFL, but surely this is a big problem for clubs who can't even make their own independent list decisions.
AFL trades are fake and manipulated by the AFL. Everyone gets where they want to go.

There are no trades, theyre all just AFL employees and the AFL get them to where they want regardless. The "trade" is fake, AFL just move the magnets

Pick 25 for Daniel and pick 17 for Smith??

Is it a requirement to have a manager? If you had half a brain you wouldn't, youd just hire someone on contract years and save the money

Trade week is dumb af and pointless until we have NBA style trading which will never happen as players are soft and can't move away from mummy

The other hindrance is needing to spend 92% of the cap. Why the hell should Richmond spend the same as Briabane next season? Let them rebuild by clearing space properly. Some bog average players get way overs on shit teams and it helps no one other than that one player

Theoretical example -

One of your players wants to leave and the trade being offered is gross unders.

His player manager calls and says “do the trade, I also manage Harley Reid, he’s coming to Melbourne next year and I will ensure he doesn’t consider you guys unless you do this deal”

That’s what’s basically being alleged. You really think that’s ok?

They’d be breaching their duty to Harley Reid if they acted against his best interests. It’s all bluff, if clubs don’t call it, that’s on them.

You do realise Christians brother works with Paul and hence why we got the media links. He's gone after this season
Two of Pauls BIG BIG clients in Cocaine Clayton and Brand Petracca were asking for pay cuts to get out of the Dees just a few weeks back and we laughed in their faces.

Paul had no problems getting Paddy Dangerfield and Bailey Smiths' abdominal muscles to Geelong. But had no luck with EITHER Melbourne Demon.

We would rather destroy our culture and watch our club burn to the ground. And rightly so.

Do any of these allegations have any basis or simply more pathetic rumour mongering that originates from this site?
You have rocks in your head if you think this doesn’t happen on a regular basis in every club.

Nathan Buckley spoke in detail with Kane Cornes on SEN about this a couple of months back.
Fringe players having to be gifted an extra year or two on their contracts as part of the negotiation to keen a star there for longer or get more money etc.
it’s as obvious as day follows night.

If you want a recent example look at the Luke Parker trade. Managed by hemisphere management, the impasse between swans and north was broken when Jacob Konstanty was added late to the deal to get it across the line.
I’ll give you one guess who manages Konstanty?

It’s pretty obvious that if he was managed by anyone else he’d now be delisted.

A further consideration for North is that Zane Durssma is also managed by these guys. This is a player that is much more valuable than pick 44 or Konstanty to North. Keeping the management happy for the future talks around their prized number 3 pick from last year, is much more important.

I'm glad this subject has been brought up, I was only talking about it the other day with a fellow footy fan.

Player managers have become way too big and in turn, wield way too much power & influence.

I don't have the answer to it right now but will come up with a suitable solution in the coming weeks but one thing is for sure, it's another goddam awful mess that requires some proper fixing.

The AFLPA, the player managers and the players themselves all have way too much say leaving the clubs themselves with not a lot.
It all boils down to nominating which club you're going to, it's absurd this is allowed in a national competition

Once the player nominates, its over.

If you nominate Brisbane, and they only have pick 18, guess what you're getting for your AA midfielder? Pick 18. Never mind hes worth more, irrelevant

It needs to be fixed. The players should be traded like commodities to the highest bidder. It's not like they don't earn enough now, average salary is above 400k

But no, "I want to return home" is somehow acceptable for adult men. Bunch of sooks

It all boils down to nominating which club you're going to, it's absurd this is allowed in a national competition

Once the player nominates, its over.

If you nominate Brisbane, and they only have pick 18, guess what you're getting for your AA midfielder? Pick 18. Never mind hes worth more, irrelevant

It needs to be fixed. The players should be traded like commodities to the highest bidder. It's not like they don't earn enough now, average salary is above 400k

But no, "I want to return home" is somehow acceptable for adult men. Bunch of sooks

Somebody raised the proposal last week that if you earn over a certain amount (maybe the average) then you can be traded against your will.

Protects the guys earning less but if you earn more, you’re fair game.

Somebody raised the proposal last week that if you earn over a certain amount (maybe the average) then you can be traded against your will.

It’s interesting because WNBA players still get traded like NBA players and make less than AFL players. If they could do it, AFL absolutely can do it.

So glad someone else (and lots of you it seems) is onto this "cancer" that's afflicting our great game. Managers have been sluicing a larger than life LIVING from our players for too long and they have directly affected the abilities of clubs getting deals done when all the proper "p's and q's" have been followed.

Ollie Henry ring any bells?? His manager actively ensured that he wouldn't enter mid season talks with the Pies, and then ensured that the "go home" defence for his departure had no questionability related to it (even though he was living 45 minutes from his family).....

Geelong FC cottoned onto the concept of "getting and keeping the influential player managers onside" long before other clubs after they got Patrick home and they've manipulated the system very successfully in the last 6-7 years. Other clubs (my own included) took a while to get onto it but the "drafting" of Craig Kelly in the last 24 months has seen a decided shift in our drafting and player acquisition systems. Don't think for a minute that we would have been able to get a player of Dan Houston's caliber for peanuts in the past, but now with an experienced EX player manager and CEO on our team, well look what's happened?

Houston may not have wanted to go to North for his own reasons but surely other clubs could have outbid us? But apparently Paul Conners worked wonders and now Dan's a pie. Craig Kelly has contacts and influences that run throughout the AFL but in this case it was Conners and his team that got the deal done.

So do we actually want these vultures preying on our players and on some of the less well connected clubs?

Thanks go to the OP for once again bringing this topic to our collective attentions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they earn enough, that there should be you can't get traded in your first 2 years without your consent and same if you sign as an unrestricted free agent. The aflpa just should have player moving costs set aside to pay for moving

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. The unchecked power of player managers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back