The US of A

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello again, Well the NBA schedule is out unfortunately we miss out on a Lakers game by a day either way. We can however go to LA Clippers vs Detroit or Golden State vs Detroit. At the moment think that we will go to the Staples Centre. Also we just booked our Grand Canyon tour we ended up going with Maverick Helicopters Dream Catcher Sunset Tour.

http://www.maverickhelicopter.com/tour-dream-catcher.aspx

We miss the Celtics while in Boston and the Spurs are on the road while we are in San Antonio unfortunately. The best we can do is Nicks v Thunder.

Going to see Miami v Memphis @ FedEx Forum and Chicago v Boston @ TD garden. NBA fixture was pretty kind to us, could have seen up to 6 games. Just wish the NHL was kinder in terms of getting to see my own team :(

We will be in LA for the all star game which I knew and also Lakers v Atlanta, Lakers v Clippers and also Clippers v Boston.
Looking to get tickets for the Atlanta game and possibly the celtics to see Shaq and co.
Anyone know if its possible to get them through Ticketmaster America??

If you have the time and like the outdoors, I would recommend visiting Yosemite. It's a bit of a hike from San Fran but it is utterly awe-inspiring. You will need at least two to three days to even make it worthwhile, but if you do go, you wont be disappointed - though what you get depends on when you are going. July and August are, by all reports, a virtual traffic jam in the park since there is only really one way in and out, and it's pretty likely to be at least in some way affected by heavy snow in the winter.

Sorry to bring up a relatively old post. I decided a couple of days ago with a mate that I needed to get away after this semester of uni and he's mostly been through SE Asia and I've never been, well, anywhere. He is very keen to head to San Fran and also was talking about going to Yosemite as a mutual friend of ours went and loved it. I'm not an overly outdoors kinda guy at all, but i'm willing to try anything once. We're looking at heading over in early December, and for all intents and purposes, we're looking at staying 6-8 weeks across various States. Would we be better placed to go to Yosemite in early December or sometime in Jan, would it even make a difference? And where would you recommend staying in the area? Money isn't a massive issue, but obviously not an exorbitant amount.

a word of warning if you get a monument ticket for the statue of liberty it is another 2 hour wait in line once you get on the island.

Just a reply to this...

Once we got on the island (after a 30 minute wait in line at Battery Park, only because we had Crown tickets, the general line was 2 hours) we went straight to where you go to climb up and had to wait maybe 5 mins and made our way up.

Maybe you just picked a bad day.

Just a reply to this...

Once we got on the island (after a 30 minute wait in line at Battery Park, only because we had Crown tickets, the general line was 2 hours) we went straight to where you go to climb up and had to wait maybe 5 mins and made our way up.

Maybe you just picked a bad day.

maybe the lines for crown and monument tickets are different?

did you go through a marquee to get to the mueseum and have security checks ect?

i remember people asking the guard weather it normally takes this long and the guard said yes.

Sorry to bring up a relatively old post. I decided a couple of days ago with a mate that I needed to get away after this semester of uni and he's mostly been through SE Asia and I've never been, well, anywhere. He is very keen to head to San Fran and also was talking about going to Yosemite as a mutual friend of ours went and loved it. I'm not an overly outdoors kinda guy at all, but i'm willing to try anything once. We're looking at heading over in early December, and for all intents and purposes, we're looking at staying 6-8 weeks across various States. Would we be better placed to go to Yosemite in early December or sometime in Jan, would it even make a difference? And where would you recommend staying in the area? Money isn't a massive issue, but obviously not an exorbitant amount.

Just saw your post - I would say December might be easier for access, probably less snow by then. January is typical colder than December and sees more snow across the US. I couldn't tell you for sure if there will or won't be snow on the ground in early December, but you can be sure the upper peaks around the valley will have snow on them. If you are going to be driving in then you'll have to be confident you have the ability to handle slippery conditions - hire a 4WD if you can, and you might need to hire some chains also. That will probably be something that you can determine at the time according to the conditions.

As for accomodations, that depends on what you and your mate are comfortable with. In the valley, you can camp out on several sites for about $10 a night, or you can get a room at the Yosemite Lodge for somewhere in the area of $100. Bear in mind that winter will be much cheaper. There is another a lodge there that is much more upscale and costs somewhere around $300+ a night. So there should be options for you in the valley itself. The nearest town is a fair way away so I would definitely advise staying within the valley - everything is there and there are shops and so forth for some groceries.

Let me know if you have any other questions - I'd be happy to help, and you won't regret a visit.

So Im heading to the US in late october for a bit over 4 weeks, this will be my first holiday overseas. While Im over there I'll be visiting LA, San Francisco, Vegas, New York, Memphis, New Orleans and Dallas.
Now what I'm after is just a couple of things to see/do in both New Orleans and Dallas, Im spending 3 days in each. At the moment I've got tickets to the NBA in New Orleans and NFL in Dallas but if anyone could help us out with anything they recomend it would be appreciated.
Pretty much the rest of the cities will be the standard attractions that most visit.

maybe the lines for crown and monument tickets are different?

did you go through a marquee to get to the mueseum and have security checks ect?

i remember people asking the guard weather it normally takes this long and the guard said yes.

Not sure about the monument tickets, crown tickets did seem to be a bit "exclusive" as they only give out a certain number for each day that is sold out well in advance.

Yeah I went through the marquee at Battery Park and then at the statue itself, just before we went inside. Near where the lockers and gift shop is.

For anyone going, I have probably said this before, but I definitely recommend booking Crown tickets before you go (up to 3 months in advance I think), not just for the experience of climbing up the statue but to skip the long line to get on the ferry.

Had a change of plans.
Originally we were going on a road trip from San Antonio to LA.
Then we were going to keep the car and drive onto San Fran.

Now we are going to fly into San Diego from San Antonio and then pick up the car then. Allows us to see Yosemite (although only 1 day) and a few other things. Good change I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

The US of A

Remove this Banner Ad

Back