The value of Travis Cloke

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't kick.

Will always be a worry. Has everything else. But if you can't kick you're only half the player. Can't see him improving (his kicking) much. Reminds me of Taz.
Yes, the kicking is a problem, he should be down at Goshs Paddock 8 am monday and start again with his whole approach to the job, spend all summer booting that ball through from every angle with players yelling and screaming and after having run 50 metres, whatever, or will just end up another coulda been with talent. Collingwoods goal kicking cost it a GF berth last night, as simple as that.

Not sure he is ever going to be that good.

He has impressed me all year, i thought he was just another hack like his brothers but he is turning it to a key player for the maggies.

Love his effort.

Has been as good (and even a lot better than some) the top forwards going around now at the same point in there career.

has now passed Rocca and will be interesting to see how he copes getting the best defender week in and out.

a lot of the 'best defenders' don't have the engines to play on Cloke...the likes of Scarlett, Rutten, Glass, Fletcher etc...would blow up midway through the 3rd qtr if they followed Cloke everywhere

Only averaging one goal per game, about the same as Andrew Krakouer at the same stage. :)

Would give up pick #2 in the draft for him though, and throw in Krak as well.

He and Franklin are in a league of there own as far as young CHF forwards go. 13 marks and 3 goals in a preliminary finals is an amazing effort.

He and Franklin are in a league of there own as far as young CHF forwards go. 13 marks and 3 goals in a preliminary finals is an amazing effort.

Yeah, two best young forwards in the game, differences between the two being that Franklin is electric once the ball is on the ground, and Cloke is much better overhead.

I don't think they used Cloke enough last night. When Buckley and others kept getting it on the wing he should have just pumped it to Cloke straight away so they couldn't push numbers back on him.
I even think they should have put Cloke and Rusling in the square on Milburn and Hunt and cleared the fifty out as these two were the matchups the were in the pies favour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a lot of the 'best defenders' don't have the engines to play on Cloke...the likes of Scarlett, Rutten, Glass, Fletcher etc...would blow up midway through the 3rd qtr if they followed Cloke everywhere

Thats just conjecture, really how do you know?

No. If he was he would have at least got into the 40 man squad, but didn't because at this stage he's not good enough.
He did kick 4 on the AA CHB though. Not that that proves anything, but the quality of the opposition does not seem to be at issue here.

I wont state the obvious about his kicking but the way he leads and marks is fantastic :thumbsu: Kid will only get better

Thats just conjecture, really how do you know?

Because none of the senior coaches of the teams the aforementioned gentlemen play for saw fit to put them on Cloke, for the simple reason it's just blindingly obvious he would run them into the dirt by late in the game.

This kid is an absolute gun. He was immense last night, awesome hands and he kicked well too. I think what makes him good is that he can do the lead up the ground and set play up from HFF/CHF, or he can also (as shown by the 2nd time we played Essendon this year) stay close to goal and take contested marks.
I'm sure glad we have him for us and not against us.

Cloke's kicking will be fine. On the run he's as good as they come. This shows he isn't good when he has to go back and think about it, which shows it's a mental issue, not a technical one. This'll improve with experience. His kcking will coem good, I guarantee it.
I don't know. He kicks across himself a fair bit all the time which you'd think increases the likelihood of an error, and has a pretty high drop of the footy at times.

I don't know. He kicks across himself a fair bit all the time which you'd think increases the likelihood of an error, and has a pretty high drop of the footy at times.

As does Brett Ebert, and he's as good as they come.
He really is a good kick on the run, doesn't often miss. He will never be the greatest set shot for goal in history but he is improving and he's an enormous asset to Collingwood.

His technique is no problem on the run though. It's just a set shot, it's only a problem when he has to go back and think about it. The pressure builds up.

This'll go.

His age of 20 is one thing in his favour as he does have time, but he really needs to improve his kicking and gain some consistency.

Going against him is the track record of the Cloke boys and he is under study to Mr Inconsistent Rocca.

Remove this Banner Ad

The value of Travis Cloke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back