Discussion The VFA premierships debate - should they be recognised as elite level premierships?

How many tier 1 premierships have Geelong won?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree its not truly national until we have a team situated in Tasmania. How bloody long will it take it would probably break even at worst, compare that to GC
With a decent stadium deal they will easily make money. They just won't add enough to the TV rights for Gilligan's liking

Just say "across all senior Australian football competitions," and then break it down from there, just as European soccer teams do

It's when you just say "premiers" that it muddies things

It's not difficult, and satisfies all parties

Because VFL was a state competition, while AFL is national. They are two very different beasts.
But when did it become a national competition? 1982? 1987? 1990? 1995? 1998? 2011? 2012? The Tasmanians amongst us might argue it still isn't "national"comp. Fact is it is the same comp that has evolved, and the premiership in each expansion year is no less an achievement than it was previously.

However, the AFL commission has decided to give each club the option to decide how they recognise their own history.

I think this best sums up how it should be - except that whether or not the AFL "gave permission" was irrelevant.

VFA flags up to 1896 counting as tier 1? I suppose so, it was the premier competition for Victorian clubs at the time.

VFL / SANFL / WAFL same deal - up until VFL/AFL clearly became the premier comp. When this exactly occurred is debatable. One could suggest 1990, when the name change came, but that is a bit arbitrary.

Tell me how they were different in 1989 and 1990 except for a change in name and logo.

It is disingenuous to say that there is no difference between 1989-1990. There wasn't really any difference other than a name change between those years but the difference between say 1980-1990 is large and 1980-2016 is massive. You have to identify a point in time to start from and clearly that point in time is not 18.. whenever the VFL goes back to. 1990 is when the league officially became the AFL so it makes sense to start from there. To count a premiership from 1900 as a barely amateur local league as being on the same footing as a premiership in a fully professional national league with substantial equalization measures in 2016 is just nonsense. I am not in the camp suggesting all those Port flags should count, thus making us the most successful in Australia. No one cares about those flags, the same way no one outside of Victoria cares about the VFL flags. It is more the principle of having Victorian clubs trying to say their flags count but yours don't because **** you that's why that gets on peoples nerves.

VFL/AFL counts for this comp.

Clubs can count whatever they want, but that doesn't mean it's relevant to this comp.

As much as I hate it, the AFL was hatched from the VFL league so the VFL premierships will have to stay. To go back to the previous comp because it sounds good is ridiculous.

And as for the PORT nufs nufs wanting to count premiership aswell out of the SANFL that suggests there were two premiers in that single year, so in 100 years there were 120 premiers, dont know how well 120 divides into 100

Really, what is the population of Victoria divided into 10 teams?

Most Victorian teams wouldn't exist if they didn't have 20,000+ supporters from another Victorian club turn up to their games each week. You only have to look at the terrible crowd for the Port v Collingwood game to realise that. I think Tasmania could have a team, but the size, and the geography just make it such a pain in the arse that the AFL puts it in the 'too hard basket'.

I would only include the premierships from when the AFL was formed. I mean who cares how many premierships clubs got when it was only a Victorian competition.

So from 1897, then? Because that is when the competition currently known as the AFL was formed. Changing the name of something does not cause it to cease being that thing. Do you think that Brian Lake's career and Brian Harris' career should be considered separate careers? No? Then why do you think that renaming the VFL to the AFL means much of anything?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is disingenuous to say that there is no difference between 1989-1990. There wasn't really any difference other than a name change between those years but the difference between say 1980-1990 is large and 1980-2016 is massive. You have to identify a point in time to start from and clearly that point in time is not 18.. whenever the VFL goes back to. 1990 is when the league officially became the AFL so it makes sense to start from there. To count a premiership from 1900 as a barely amateur local league as being on the same footing as a premiership in a fully professional national league with substantial equalization measures in 2016 is just nonsense. I am not in the camp suggesting all those Port flags should count, thus making us the most successful in Australia. No one cares about those flags, the same way no one outside of Victoria cares about the VFL flags. It is more the principle of having Victorian clubs trying to say their flags count but yours don't because **** you that's why that gets on peoples nerves.

I would also argue that the teams that won the VFL premierships between 1900 and 1930 wouldn't be able to beat a modern day NEAFL side.

If the AFL rebranded itself as the ZAFL next year, you would probably think the 2012 AFL flag somewhat "mattered". Nothing special happened in 1990 apart from a new name and a new logo.

... and the name of the premiership awarded. In 1989 Hawks won the premiership and were awarded a flag which said "VFL Premiers" written right there on the flag. In 1990 the Pies won the premiership and were awarded a flag which said "AFL Premiers" written right there on that flag.

So different flags, commemorating different premierships.

If flags were won in the premier competition of the time, they should be counted.

VFA was the #1 comp until the VFL, so they count as far as I can see.

Geelong's VFA flags are elite premierships, no doubt.

So what on earth would be wrong with citing 3 counts, as in: Geelong have won 7 VFA premierships, 6 VFL premierships and 3 AFL premierships.

Perfectly accurate. Tells the whole story. Credit where credit is due. Where is the problem?

If the VFA is included, has to be three figures with colons for victorian clubs, or equivalent

VFL flags seperate for teams originating in victoria

For hawks ita 0:8:5

... and the name of the premiership awarded. In 1989 Hawks won the premiership and were awarded a flag which said "VFL Premiers" written right there on the flag. In 1990 the Pies won the premiership and were awarded a flag which said "AFL Premiers" written right there on that flag.

So different flags, commemorating different premierships.

So, if they changed the name of the competition tomorrow to the National Football League, you'd be happy for Adelaide's flag to pale to insignificance?

So what on earth would be wrong with citing 3 counts, as in: Geelong have won 7 VFA premierships, 6 VFL premierships and 3 AFL premierships.

Perfectly accurate. Tells the whole story. Credit where credit is due. Where is the problem?
I have no real problem with that, although its a bit clumsy.

The title of the thread asks should the VFA flags be recognised as elite level premierships. If they were won before the VFL, then the answer is yes, as at the time the VFA was the #1 comp.

Its simple really. Geelong have won 16 elite premierships.

I have no real problem with that, although its a bit clumsy.

The title of the thread asks should the VFA flags be recognised as elite level premierships. If they were won before the VFL, then the answer is yes, as at the time the VFA was the #1 comp.

Its simple really. Geelong have won 16 elite premierships.

No problem with that, as long as you don't claim Geelong have won 16 AFL premierships. Oh, and you concede that Port Adelaide and Fremantle have won a heap of elite level premierships in their history as well.

So, if they changed the name of the competition tomorrow to the National Football League, you'd be happy for Adelaide's flag to pale to insignificance?

Depends on what the name of the premierships was. If every team started next year with zero NFL flags, plus however many AFL flags (in Adelaide's case, 2), plus however many VFL flags (in Adelaide's case, zero), then where is the issue?

Perfectly accurate. Tells the actual story of this competition. Gives appropriate credit where credit is due.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion The VFA premierships debate - should they be recognised as elite level premierships?

Back