The victims perspective - which would you prefer happen to you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mervyn Beasley

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 12, 2007
Yarraville
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hibs FC, Blackburn Rovers
Other than to say Sicily is a goose - Im not commenting one way or the other on what should or shouldn't have been the outcome in the Burton/Higgins, Zurhaar/Mirra, Sicily Atley cases.

That said, if I was a victim of one of the three Id take Atley's situation any day.

Bizarrely however - the worst outcome was no case to answer, the 2nd worst a $2000 fine, and the least worst copped a week.

Go figure

Other than to say Sicily is a goose - Im not commenting one way or the other on what should or shouldn't have been the outcome in the Burton/Higgins, Zurhaar/Mirra, Sicily Atley cases.

That said, if I was a victim of one of the three Id take Atley's situation any day.

Bizarrely however - the worst outcome was no case to answer, the 2nd worst a $2000 fine, and the least worst copped a week.

Go figure

All penalties are adjusted by the Outrage Meter.

It measures the level of faux outrage in the media.

When Enright trod on a Roos player in a near identical manner he got a fine because the media decided he is a good boy. Sicily is a bad boy so he gets a week.

The media didnt even talk about Mirra so that just needs a fine.

Burton had a couple of dumb media flogs up in arms incorrectly spouting rules but for the most part they understood that accidental head clashes can happen any time - as witnessed about 8 seconds after Burton's head clash.

You can also look at Selwood and Thomas. Reverse the roles and Selwood gets 1 or 2 weeks for the bump and Thomas gets 1 week for the following punches.

It's weird with the Burton bump

In a sense I'm glad he was let off, as these things happen in contact sports

On another sense, he should have copped a week because of other similar incidents have brought about a punishment

I don't remember Hawks fans being so concerned about players health when it was their players doing the rough housing.

I remember alot of Hawks fans thinking it was perfectly fine for their captain to smash another players head into a post.

Where was the outrage then?

Go figure

Of course you'd rather be Atley. However there was a lot more malice from Sicily than there was Burton.

I don't remember Hawks fans being so concerned about players health when it was their players doing the rough housing.

I remember alot of Hawks fans thinking it was perfectly fine for their captain to smash another players head into a post.

Should have been called 'Play on'.

I dont tend to get too concerned when a player gets back up and takes their free kick. I do get concerned when a player gets taken off in a stretcher (unless its a Swans player and the stretcher was called to waste time).

Does that make me a monster?

Should have been called 'Play on'.

I dont tend to get too concerned when a player gets back up and takes their free kick. I do get concerned when a player gets taken off in a stretcher (unless its a Swans player and the stretcher was called to waste time).

Does that make me a monster?

No it doesnt but it shows that you clearly only care about the result and intent does not bother you.

Ask yourself, which one was deliberate. Did he mean to push him in the fence from a legal football pressure act, did he mean to clash heads and knock someone out from a legal football act, did he mean to look at his leg, and then step on it, on his way over a defenseless player laying face down on the ground???

Sicily is a dumb campaigner, it would take the most clueless Hawks fan to say otherwise!!!

Go figure
Whinge whinge.

It comes under what they last year called a "non football act".

Things like bumps and pushes tackles are parts of the game. They are risky though and you get punished if you do them wrong and hurt someone. But you can always argue that in some way you were still playing footy, just carelessly.

Non football incidents are just that. Don't do it.

It really isnt hard to understand.

Remove this Banner Ad

The victims perspective - which would you prefer happen to you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back