The Warm Fuzzy Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

SMACK!

Debutant
Jul 13, 2009
West of East
AFL Club
Adelaide
Alright, so I'm absolutely shattered and all last night I spent pondering the what ifs of the game and kicking myself over missed chances and so on and so forth. Then I realised there's an awful lot to like about this list and I started going over the positives. The reality is whilst we're all shattered, if we'd been offered this at the start of the year we would have taken 5th place in a heartbeat and there's a lot to look forward to. So I decided to make a thread completely devoid of negativity and highlighting just how ****ing awesome and wonderful this club still is. Feel free to add some thoughts to this:

* We have one of if not the best young list in the competition.

* Bernie Vince looks more and more like a slightly less damaging Ben Cousins with each and every game he plays and has gone from being a solid contributor who couldn't handle a tag to our most important midfielder who carves it up even when getting illegal treatment from opposition players. An absolute star

* At the start of the year James Sellar was hopeless, pathetic, disgraceful, not AFL standard and was to be delisted, hung, drawn, quartered and sent to Baghdad. Now he's a brutal manbeast who eats small children for breakfast and thrives on second, third, fourth and fifth efforts.

* Dave Mackay doesn't need to oil up before a game because the amount of class he oozes throughout his body lubricates him adequately for the rest of the night. He is close to the best disposer of a football by foot in the AFL and has a sense of the big occasion ala a young A Mcleod. BOG last night for mine.

* Questions were previously raised about Andy Otten(s) and his ability to handle finals like pressure. Last night he clunked about 5 awesome contested marks, has more time than anyone else out there on the ground and looks for all the world to be a Ben Hart clone. All of this is pretty good for a guy playing out of position and who is destined to be a top line midfielder. Which leads into:

* Philthy Davis. The man who WILL debut next year for us (barring injury) and slot nicely into Andy Otten's position allowing Andy to be freed up and torment clubs in the centre of the ground. Guys who are a key position height but agile and smart enough to play in any role on the ground are as rare as hens teeth and we have a few of them (See Otten). This kid will be an exceptional player.

* How often have we been able to say we have one of the most prodigious AFL forward talents sitting on our list but we can't find room for him because our forward line is too strong at the moment? Tex is going to be an out and out champion and next year with a bigger pre season and a bigger tank he'll be tormenting sides from the boundary line, from outside 50 and from wherever the hell he feels like.

* Kurt Tippett is a monster destroyer who crushes cities in his spare time and will most likely kick 60 - 80 goals next year whilst still having 300 hitouts and over 9000 hard ball gets. Is ANOTHER one of the most prodigious forward line talents in the AFL and we have him :)

*Chris Knights is just about the only guy in the league who can wheel around onto his laser beam and kick a goal from the defensive 50 metre line. Has gone from being somewhat of a whipping boy to one of the best medium sized forwards in the competition. Works really well with Tippett and Porps and with Walker and SMACK! coming into the lineup in the next year and two years respectively will only get more and more access to kicking ridiculous goals from 90 metres out on an 87 degree angle

* Jason Porplyzia kicked almost 60 goals without even being 6 foot and is just about the best small forward in the comp bar maybe Chapman. When you add his name to the likes of Walker, Tippett, Hentschel, Knights and Mckernan you be afraid. You be very afraid. Hands and footskills are almost identical to Fudd Jarman.

* Saved this one till last. All of the above is awesome but it means nothing when you haven't mentioned this name. Dangerfield. D-A-N-G-E-R-F-I-E-L-D. Saying it out loud just gives me chills. I genuinely believe that this kid will take the place of the likes of Judd, Ablett and co because he has it all. Height, Pace, Kamikaze nature and the ability to go sonic the hedgehog and destroy everything in his path. The kid is a freaking gun. He's 19 years old and he's already a clone of Mark Ricciuto only about 4 times quicker. People questioned his kicking for goal so he worked on it until he became one of the best set shots in our team. Just wait until he starts benchpressing buses - then the league will be in trouble. Will retire an all time great of the game IMO.

Basically it hurts like hell what happened last night but it doesn't change the fact that our list is in the best shape it's ever been.

Tippett, Walker, Porplyzia, Otten, Knights, Dangerfield, Mackay, Vince, Sellar, Petrenko, Sloane, Davis, Henderson, SMACK, Maric, Johncock, Bock, Rutten, Henstchel, Thompson, van Berlo. Just some names that make me smile and who will be part of the next 3-5 years of greatness that this club experiences. When you consider the age of some of those guys we're in for a great few years. One or two of them may be speculative but that doesn't change the fact that we're sitting pretty well in the depth stakes and we have some E-LEET talent coming through. I still ****ing love this club.

Feel free to add your own as I've only expanded on the basics. Positives and constructive points only pls :)

Oh and FYI, Geelong experienced heartbreak in a similar final against Sydney and look what that spurred them onto...

the warm fuzzy for me is our best players last night were our youngest players.

the work rate, effort and hardness of the young players is excellent. The players being brought through by Craig all seem to share the same determination.

Dave Mackay doesn't need to oil up before a game because the amount of class he oozes throughout his body lubricates him adequately for the rest of the night.

I cannot believe how clean this guy is, i commented several times last night to my old man, he would have to be one of the smoothest movers going around.

Kurt Tippett is a monster destroyer who crushes cities in his spare time

You bring a smile to my otherwise sad dial.

D-A-N-G-E-R-F-I-E-L-D.
Height, Pace, Kamikaze nature and the ability to go sonic the hedgehog and destroy everything in his path.

Just wait until he starts benchpressing buses

Sonic the hedgehog, pure gold.

Some genuine laughs in this thread mate, great post. Reading this makes me feel ALOT better and puts me in a better frame of mind after reading all the negative dribble on this board. I just had a go at naming our best 22 for round 22 next year and I cant... its to hard, there are to many young kids I want to slot in. The future is bright. Just sad I have to wait for months to get my footy back. Come on Crows.

See lads, a lot of reasons to be positive. We have scope for significant improvement next year and beyond, regardless of who is coaching the side.

Watch Tippett fill out WELL this offseason.

He only needs to get a bit stronger and that's about it.

He is an amazing prospect. His reach in marking contests is perhaps the best in the competition and on the ground he plays like a medium-sized forward. His athleticism is a sight to behold and a player like Kurt RARELY comes across.

If he can just continue to refine his game (judgement in the air, set-shot kicking, etc) then he could be scary good. There's not many opponents that could match him.

Well said, SMACK! :D Definitely made me all warm and fuzzy ;) I am so proud of our young playing group - we have so much to look forward to as fans of the mighty Crows!!!

And calling Sellar a "brutal manbeast who eats small children for breakfast" made me laugh so hard XD!

Danger does remind me a lot of Sonic the Hedgehog. In the next finals series I will leave the chaos emeralds in a bag for him in the locker rooms so that he can go all super on the big stage.

Some genuine laughs in this thread mate, great post. Reading this makes me feel ALOT better and puts me in a better frame of mind after reading all the negative dribble on this board. I just had a go at naming our best 22 for round 22 next year and I cant... its to hard, there are to many young kids I want to slot in. The future is bright. Just sad I have to wait for months to get my footy back. Come on Crows.

That's the thing mate, everyone's disappointed but **** at least we're not in the position of a Richmond or a Fremantle. It could be a lot worse.

The way I see it is that we have Dangerfield, Walker, Tippett and Porplyzia who all have the potential to be once in a generation type talents ie the types of players you see come through a club once every 10-15 years. The fact we have them all at once means we have a foundation for an exceptional 5-7 years should all go according to plan. Combine that with elite talents of Vince, Mackay, Otten, SMACK and Davis and you have an extraordinary core of young players.

Bring on the pre-season and lets draft that quick crumbing forward and pacy mid or two who will complete our lineup. :thumbsu:

some of the reasons clubs will fear Adelaide in the future include;

the inside in and under ball winners of Dangerfield, Thompson and Sloane.

the running midfield power of Mackay and Otten

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The foot print is now well & truely in place for a very rewarding future. We have the list & management to continue to improve & show the rest of the comp how it can be done with middlel range draft picks & excellent people management. Whilst it hurts now, we will take alot out of this & as mentioned - this kind of pain turns quailty teams into out & out champions - I am excited to be onboard & looking forward to the rewards.
We are ahead of the game with our list

sonicj.jpg

I agree with all thse comments, yes we shoulod have won last night but the future is bright with talent all over the ground, last night our young players found out whats its like to lose a close final. i bet all of them would not like that feeling..lets bhope next year it spurs them on to greater things

My goodness, SMACK, you brightened up this forum vastly ! And, you're spot on !

It's really really nice to see positivity instead of the doom and gloom sack the coach and players 1960's sub-human media mentality on display elsewhere here.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Warm Fuzzy Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back