Society/Culture The Welcome/Acknowledgment of Country thread

Remove this Banner Ad

schneebly111

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2023
AFL Club
Richmond
I noticed there wasn’t a thread for discussion of this topic which is now an important part of our discourse and adopted as part of our identity by a lot of people.

It was sparked by the WTC given at the Giants v Lions game and how the speaker explained some misconceptions about the process. Like how it isn’t welcoming people to “the country of Australia”, but country as in that specific indigenous land, and the ceremony wasn’t made up by Ernie Dingo in the 70s for non indigenous people.

Of course the usual types like Murdoch media, 3AW and Hanson arked up about it as usual but that was to be expected.

Is the nature of the ceremonies going to change? Is it so ingrained now in the national consciousness that it won’t be removed from footy matches, school assemblies or when a plane lands?

As the WTC/AOC is becoming a thing for all Australians then obviously all Australians are free to comment and give their view, but would love to hear indigenous perspectives, especially from those who can provide insight into their own personal way of expressing Welcome and Acknowledgement.

I like the idea of a Welcome to Country at sporting events like the AFL/NRL Grand Finals and the upcoming Brissie Olympics, etc. I see it as Part One of the Australian National Anthem these days.

Acknowledgement of Country before business meetings, conferences etc, while respectful as an idea, I can see why it might grate on people who want the whole meeting done as quickly as possible before a long lunch.

The difference between the two? Welcome to Country is done by an actual representative of the Nation whose grounds are where the event is being held (for example Kulin nation at the MCG, Gadigal nation at the SCG) whereas an Acknowledgement of Country can be made by absolutely anyone.

Personally I like the welcome to country concept.
That said, it's a relatively recent thing and could do with some tweaking.

I really liked the Brendan Kerin welcome to country.
He took the time to explain a bit about what it was and why it had significance.
This is important. Before you can embrace you need to understand.

Some racist ********* on twitter took offense, as they would even if he had thanked them for being his "Massa"
Twitter is the bolthole of the uneducated and to vile.

Most welcome to country monologues come over as rote, impersonal monologue like Uncle Colin HUnter at the MCG.
We hear him so often it's stilted and repetitive.

I'm not having a go at Uncle Colin! Far from it.

These elders should be encouraged to make each welcome individual, an event.

The New Zealand Haka is a world renowned cultural event. It has nuance and meaning, which when explained is moving.

Our welcome to country should be inspirational, new and uplifting. Always.

You notice I said "Our" welcome to country.

I am an Australian.
I embrace the history of the country I am born to.
The amazing gravitas of being part of the oldest continuing civilisation on the planet, though some my ancestors came from another continent.
I embrace what is and what can be, if we just open our minds and our hearts to it.

My ancestors were from Scotland and Ireland.
My immediate ancestor in Australia was a criminal, sent from Britain.
He had an anglo wife but took and indigenous lover.

I have no idea where that branch lead.

I am from Queensland.
I have never lived in Collingwood.

Yet here we are.

Personally I like the welcome to country concept.
That said, it's a relatively recent thing and could do with some tweaking.

I really liked the Brendan Kerin welcome to country.
He took the time to explain a bit about what it was and why it had significance.
This is important. Before you can embrace you need to understand.

Some racist ********* on twitter took offense, as they would even if he had thanked them for being his "Massa"
Twitter is the bolthole of the uneducated and to vile.

Most welcome to country monologues come over as rote, impersonal monologue like Uncle Colin HUnter at the MCG.
We hear him so often it's stilted and repetitive.

I'm not having a go at Uncle Colin! Far from it.

These elders should be encouraged to make each welcome individual, an event.

The New Zealand Haka is a world renowned cultural event. It has nuance and meaning, which when explained is moving.

Our welcome to country should be inspirational, new and uplifting. Always.

You notice I said "Our" welcome to country.

I am an Australian.
I embrace the history of the country I am born to.
The amazing gravitas of being part of the oldest continuing civilisation on the planet, though some my ancestors came from another continent.
I embrace what is and what can be, if we just open our minds and our hearts to it.

My ancestors were from Scotland and Ireland.
My immediate ancestor in Australia was a criminal, sent from Britain.
He had an anglo wife but took and indigenous lover.

I have no idea where that branch lead.

I am from Queensland.
I have never lived in Collingwood.

Yet here we are.
Huge post.

Well done son.

I guess the difference is that NZ has fully embraced the Haka as a concept of Kiwi identity, not just Māori identity. You will see both white and Māori All Blacks perform the Haka, and you don’t see any (as far as I can tell) opposition to the Māori concepts being part of New Zealand’s overall identity. You wouldn’t never see former All Blacks criticise the Haka like Tony Shaw criticised the WTC for instance.

The difference is a lot of Australians believe the WTC/AOC and other Indigenous culture is not a part of their “Australian” culture. That is something separate to their culture, and therefore want no part of it.

At least I haven’t seen any footage of people actively opposing a WTC/AOC, booing it, walking out of one etc. If that were to happen I think the conversation would take a far different turn.

I guess the difference is that NZ has fully embraced the Haka as a concept of Kiwi identity, not just Māori identity. You will see both white and Māori All Blacks perform the Haka, and you don’t see any (as far as I can tell) opposition to the Māori concepts being part of New Zealand’s overall identity. You wouldn’t never see former All Blacks criticise the Haka like Tony Shaw criticised the WTC for instance.

The difference is a lot of Australians believe the WTC/AOC and other Indigenous culture is not a part of their “Australian” culture. That is something separate to their culture, and therefore want no part of it.

At least I haven’t seen any footage of people actively opposing a WTC/AOC, booing it, walking out of one etc. If that were to happen I think the conversation would take a far different turn.
I very much agree.
The issue is the "acceptance"
There is a fear which is promoted by a few, for nothing but political advancement.
Dutton. A campaigner. A shitsian on our country. A smear of dog shit.
Here is a man who is not only a massive coward but a liar and a hypocrite.
His own party espoused exactly the same "Voice" legislations as Albanese Labor government, but who betrayed that belief for a political advantage, assisted by the disgusting Murdoch.
The victims of this deceit were indigenous australians and immigrant australians both.
Both groups lessened by Duttons low, cowardly and self promoting betrayal of every australian for power..
If I could end the guy I would. I should. We all should.

The Haka is a NZ institution.
As a schoolboy in the 60's I was aware of it.
I was aware it was a real statement of nationhood and belonging, even an an Aussie.
I knew then as I know right now, the Haka stands for Maori pride in both their culture and their country.

Our "welcome to country" is less than a decade old in reality, evn as a concept.

We should encourage our indigenous to tweak and customise it for purpose.

What can it be in 60 years time?

Could we all embrace a different welcome at a game of sport, or at an international event?

In honestly revel in the fact I live in a land which embraces the odlest civilisation on the entire planet....

What is to lose?

Was an absolute ripper by Uncle Brendan in Brisbane.
Being called a 'Captain Cook Campaigner' is a term of endearment.
Looking forward to GF day.
Uncle Colin could make it piss if he declared it out the front of Cook's cottage.
Would have to be same country as the 'G.

I like the idea of a Welcome to Country at sporting events like the AFL/NRL Grand Finals and the upcoming Brissie Olympics, etc. I see it as Part One of the Australian National Anthem these days.

Acknowledgement of Country before business meetings, conferences etc, while respectful as an idea, I can see why it might grate on people who want the whole meeting done as quickly as possible before a long lunch.

The difference between the two? Welcome to Country is done by an actual representative of the Nation whose grounds are where the event is being held (for example Kulin nation at the MCG, Gadigal nation at the SCG) whereas an Acknowledgement of Country can be made by absolutely anyone.
This, welcome is good at the footy but someone randomly slapping the acknowledgement at the front of a work PD is so rubbish, I find it kind of insulating tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not 'Australian' culture but certainly not my culture/interest. I feel less than zero attachment to ATC/WTC and never will, nothing that can be said will change that. Dare say I'm not alone in this? I view it as having no connection to Ramadan or Diwali, nothing to do with me but other people enjoy it. They're less 'forced' I guess

There's just nothing about indigenous culture that resonates with me. I don't boo it, I don't hate it, it just exists & that's ok. It shouldn't be booed, walked out on, or whatever Newman called for. No need to be disrespectful but that respect should go both ways, you can't force people to like something that doesn't land with them

Not 'Australian' culture but certainly not my culture/interest. I feel less than zero attachment to ATC/WTC and never will, nothing that can be said will change that. Dare say I'm not alone in this? I view it as having no connection to Ramadan or Diwali, nothing to do with me but other people enjoy it. They're less 'forced' I guess

I don’t think every citizen of this country embraces every symbolic aspect of it. Australia Day, Anzac Day, the flag, the anthem, the national sporting teams etc are not embraced by 100% of the population.

It’s just that the WTC/AOC is one bit where we see comment that because 100% are not attached to it we should drop it.

Just creates further divide and a us and them mentality imo. We will never be a united country when we are continually divided on racial lines.

I don’t mind them generally and some are quite interesting but the irony it’s followed by the National anthem is laughable.

Just creates further divide and a us and them mentality imo. We will never be a united country when we are continually divided on racial lines.

I don’t mind them generally and some are quite interesting but the irony it’s followed by the National anthem is laughable.
Sorry for my apparent ignorance but why is that laughable?

... acknowledgement of difference is not dividing the country on racial lines.

This is an exceedingly silly idea of what multiculturalism is, but it isn't really your fault. Blame the desire - formed in 90's America - for a colour-blind society, one which ignores race altogether; you don't get the benefits of having different cultures living under the same flag, and you cannot get rid of racism by treating it as though it doesn't exist.

I said get rid of it all. The Anzac round is only a thing since Sheedy, clubs and the AFL started cashing in on it.

Well at least you’re consistent. I’ve asked this question to many who’ve stated we should get rid of all “political” things from football, like Welcome to Country and LGBT round, and their response is usually “how dare you insult our diggers”.

Well at least you’re consistent. I’ve asked this question to many who’ve stated we should get rid of all “political” things from football, like Welcome to Country and LGBT round, and their response is usually “how dare you insult our diggers”.

That was probably me as well many years back.

I have come to see all these things as gimmicks and insincere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture The Welcome/Acknowledgment of Country thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back