There, their, or they're

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll never forget the time my friend once wrote "nilly" instead of "nearly" on a Year 12 SAC.

On spelling mistakes, I remember my mate went to a video store to hire the film The Patriot. When he couldn't find it on the shelves, he asked the girl at the counter if they had it in and she asked him how to spell the movie.

He responded with "T-H-E P-A-T-R-O-T", she typed it into the system and said that they don't have it. She asked him if that was the correct spelling and he spelt it out the same once more. The next three to four minutes were spent with both of them having numerous attempts each at trying to spell the word as I sat back, from a safe distance, watching these two great minds at work until finally being summoned to solve the great conundrum...

Oh, there's an I in there...

I was hiring once and one of the applicants had "loose" instead of lose. His chances were loosed right there and then.

I'm almost obsessed with it now, if I'm reading and see loose in the next sentence or two I just have to look. I hate it

I honestly believe more than 50% of the population get it wrong, it knocks 10% off my estimated IQ of people.

Should of shits me to tears as well

Bias, I show bias, therefore I am biased.

One that I struggle with personally is to/too, hence as well above.

My brother's gf spells 'hey' as 'hay'. Every time. And when I tell her she just rolls her eyes in that MTV bimbo way and tells me spelling isn't important.

And to think the silly bitch wants to be a lawyer last I heard. Good luck with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My hates:
Pronouncing "H" with an H not an A.
When people say the date as "May 5"! It's DAY MONTH YEAR in Australia! Therefore "5th of May"
Also people pronouncing "known" as "knowen" and "often" as "offten", the T is silent.

That's a newspaper thing. For the sake of space journalists write:

"The event will be held on May 5"

instead of

"The event will be held on the 5th of May"

Random insertions of capital letters mid-sentence baffle me.

But I'm pretty much with everyone else here on the other annoying habits they've mentioned.

Actually 'we're' annoys me when people simply type 'were'. I understand that people want to drop apostrophes for the sake of quick typing in words like 'arent', but 'were' is a totally different word without the apostrophe.

And people pronouncing 'mischievous' as 'mischeeevious'.

Bias, I show bias, therefore I am biased.

Yes that one annoys me. I hate when someone types 'You are so bias'. It's biased.

My mate always uses 'his' instead of he's. Really annoys me.

I also hate that text speak. It amazes me that it takes people that long to write a text message that they have to shorten words.

Also the word 'says'. How do you guys pronounce it? The way i pronounce it, it sounds like 'sez'. I hear others pronounce it as it spells - 'say - s'

"Look over they're! Their all standing on there heads!"

sorry I couldn't help myself, but is that not a most painful sentence to read?

Just a little thing i have noticed...

Say the word "Asked" out loud.

go on, do it.

Notice the tail bit at the end?

sounds like"kskd" or something of the sort.

It has to be the single most intriguing word in the english language.

the annunciation is simply bizarre.

s'pose that is why people, especially foreigners or carlton supporters, say "arksed"...

You can blame it all on the way English is taught at schools. Previously a larger emphasis was placed on correct grammar, punctuation and sentence structure. Now it's shifted towards expression and imagination.

I'm 19 and most of my friends cannot spell certain words, cannot use apostrophes or commas to save themselves, and their grammar (written, no one cares about spoken) is pretty horrible.

Kids need to be taught the BASIC aspects of written language before they learn expression. I learnt only because my mum harrassed me every time she spotted a mistake in my school work. If she didn't, i'd be like 90% of the population.

No one cares if you can write a story about a unicorn in the work place, but they do care if you can't spell common words.

Loose instead of lose drives me nuts.

Another one that irritates me is its and it's. Remember if you can insert 'is' then it's 'it's'. if you can't then it's 'its'. As a primary teacher I'm amazed at how many teachers even use these incorrectly.

Another one that drives me batty but seems to be getting more common amongst school children is the use of "versed".(e.g. Collingwood versed Essendon on the weekend).

Remove this Banner Ad

There, their, or they're

Remove this Banner Ad

Back