Secondary Thinking about becoming a teacher

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never had a prin celebrate world teachers day. Is it a thing?

We have quite a few teacher aides at our school and they put a morning tea on for us and were telling the kids to wish us happy World Teachers Day. Great of them but pathetic really that it had to come from the bottom not the top.

We have quite a few teacher aides at our school and they put a morning tea on for us and were telling the kids to wish us happy World Teachers Day. Great of them but pathetic really that it had to come from the bottom not the top.
Ours (ES) don't nor do they get it when its ES week. One of the old AP's use to get the students to make a card for them. But now she left, the new AP in charge of ES doesn't celebrate or acknowledge it. I tried to get something happening for ES staff but was quickly told that they (leadership) will do something.

Any sort of celebration involving food is passed onto staff to provide our own. Even when we acknowledge parent helpers (staff provide) which doesn't go down well as we get told what to provide but it's not returned.

Of all the things to complain about in a job though, surely it's number 9999 on the list.

Of all the things to complain about in a job though, surely it's number 9999 on the list.

I admit it's not the biggest, but when you think about staff morale, a simple acknowledgement and morning tea (that isnt provided by staff) can go a long way in creating a positive and productive work environment where people want to be.

Compared to what some schools offer even for Fathers and Mothers Day ours pales.

Probably. And I really couldn't care. I wouldn't have even known it was World Teachers Day unless the teacher aides had put something on. But it can be indicative of staff morale and level of admin support.

Got my first prac for Secondary English coming up in a few weeks.

Any tips on what to expect?

Awesome. What Uni are you at mate? I'm in my final semester.

Definitely meet your mentor teacher as soon as possible. As soon as you get your placement get in contact with your school and your mentor. The more planning you can get done before hand the better. Also, get as much work done at the school as you can as you can get help in real time from your mentor and other teachers in the department. It will also mean less work you have to do at home and you can get more sleep. The other teachers are more than willing to help if you need it. Also ask for as many resources as you can while there.

In terms of teaching, my biggest piece of advice is scaffold. Make sure your scaffolding is on point. I'd say that most of the battle is scaffolding.

Ask for help whenever you need it and speak to your mentor if you are having trouble. You are not expected to know everything and being a first prac, you will find you actually know very little. If you are not asking questions, your mentor might get a bit concerned.

Awesome. What Uni are you at mate? I'm in my final semester.

Definitely meet your mentor teacher as soon as possible. As soon as you get your placement get in contact with your school and your mentor. The more planning you can get done before hand the better. Also, get as much work done at the school as you can as you can get help in real time from your mentor and other teachers in the department. It will also mean less work you have to do at home and you can get more sleep. The other teachers are more than willing to help if you need it. Also ask for as many resources as you can while there.

In terms of teaching, my biggest piece of advice is scaffold. Make sure your scaffolding is on point. I'd say that most of the battle is scaffolding.

Ask for help whenever you need it and speak to your mentor if you are having trouble. You are not expected to know everything and being a first prac, you will find you actually know very little. If you are not asking questions, your mentor might get a bit concerned.
Thanks heaps for that, I’m looking forward to it!

I’m up at ECU.

Thanks heaps for that, I’m looking forward to it!

I’m up at ECU.

Same. So you have Brian and Barbara?

If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask. I'm more than happy to meet up on campus if you want.

So I have been asked to take on a 1st year PST. I looked at their paper work and the notes and observations they have to do have changed significantly from when I took one on about 2 years ago. Each day they have a different focus. I might just alter it so they can just record the notes across the 5 days (and place them under the days required).

One thing that has deterred me in previous years was when some just don't bother taking the notes or decline my offer of giving them resources to use later in their rounds or teaching.

Am I asking too much from PST's to keep a reflection log or notes and collect resources? I use to have a folder where I collected tons of resources (before we had USB's and teachers provided digital copies).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I find is that first year teachers think they are above having an older experienced teacher giving them advice or making comments on their ability to teach. I think it is just their generation, if you say something to them, they will run to the principal and complain and they then have the audicity to tell other teachers what they should do. Damn if you do, damn if you dont. I have given up.

So I have been asked to take on a 1st year PST. I looked at their paper work and the notes and observations they have to do have changed significantly from when I took one on about 2 years ago. Each day they have a different focus. I might just alter it so they can just record the notes across the 5 days (and place them under the days required).

One thing that has deterred me in previous years was when some just don't bother taking the notes or decline my offer of giving them resources to use later in their rounds or teaching.

Am I asking too much from PST's to keep a reflection log or notes and collect resources? I use to have a folder where I collected tons of resources (before we had USB's and teachers provided digital copies).

If they don’t take your resources then they’re just idiots. Did my first prac in 2014 and the first thing my supervisor (who was head teacher) said was ‘don’t reinvent the wheel’. Still true to this day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a third year HASS teacher. This year Geography isn't taught in upper school at my school but will be next year and having an undergraduate degree in just geography before I got my teaching degree I thought I would teach it as it's my passion. My head has chosen a history teacher to teach it though who only has two years teaching experience wtf? Have to say I'm a little pissed and thinking about speaking to someone about it. My head says I might teach it in the future but I doubt it. This history teacher is a real arse licker whereas I just get my work done.

Best subject in the world, geography.

Are you more of a physical or human geography person?

I make mine dive straight in. The more teaching they do early the better imo.

Each Uni probably has different guidelines for what their students need to do. For mine (I'm coming from the perspective of secondary and not primary), the observation amount is up to us and our mentor but it is generally expected we observe when not teaching and we also do some observation in our minor. My 2nd prac I got really behind through no fault of my own so I did use up time when I could have been observing to get planning and marking done. I really only took observation notes on my 1st prac and then for half my 2nd unless I saw something great or not so great I wanted to make a note of. I found myself writing a lot of the same things down time and again and I found it pointless- particularly when observing the same teacher most lessons.

I would have loved my mentors to give me some resources instead of everything being left up to me. On my ATP, my mentor gave me a couple of resources to use and then had a go at me for using them instead of finding my own. I do wish I had have collected more resources during my pracs (particularly stuff for NAPLAN prep) but it is what it is. If you have a PST declining resources then they are an idiot. One thing we got told time and again leading up to our pracs is to collect as many resources as possible.

In terms of reflecting, we weren't required to keep an overall reflection log but we were required to reflect on every lesson we teach and have those available for the mentor and Uni supervisor to look at whenever they request them.

Like I said, each Uni would differ on the requirements of their students and how far into the course they are will determine just what and how much they need to do.

Best subject in the world, geography.

Are you more of a physical or human geography person?

I like the city planning component in human geography but am more of a fan of natural landscapes so more physical geography for me. How about you?

I like the city planning component in human geography but am more of a fan of natural landscapes so more physical geography for me. How about you?

Even though I come from a rural background, I’m a massive planning/human geography nerd. Follow heaps of demographers and cartographers on Twitter, read skyscraper city on the daily etc.

Seeing your teaching HASS - is that WA? Have you got a link to the syllabus for stages 4-5? Even though I’m not teaching anymore I’d be interested in comparing them to NSW

Do you guys also have to study primary production at any stage in depth?

Even though I come from a rural background, I’m a massive planning/human geography nerd. Follow heaps of demographers and cartographers on Twitter, read skyscraper city on the daily etc.

Seeing your teaching HASS - is that WA? Have you got a link to the syllabus for stages 4-5? Even though I’m not teaching anymore I’d be interested in comparing them to NSW

Do you guys also have to study primary production at any stage in depth?

I love planning. I started to study that at uni but changed which is a long story. I check out skyscrapercity a lot too. Any good people to follow on Twitter?

Yes it's WA. The course has changed a lot in recent times. Here's a link to the outlines for you.

https://senior-secondary.scsa.wa.ed...ials/humanities-and-social-sciences/geography

Those are some killer geography resources. Am secondary HASS trained but never did any geography in my undergrad or masters or been anywhere yet I've had teach it. Cool but rare subject.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Secondary Thinking about becoming a teacher

Remove this Banner Ad

Back