This is why Collingwood get blockbuster games......

Remove this Banner Ad

wegs on pendles

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2007
meMelb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Celtic
2008 AFL Attendance
Team Games Total Average
Collingwood Magpies 10 624,553 62,455

2007 AFL Attendance
Team Games Total Average
Collingwood Magpies 25 1,432,878 57,315

2006 AFL Attendance
Team Games Total Average
Collingwood Magpies 23 1,249,266 54,315

2005 AFL Attendance
Team Games Total Average
Collingwood Magpies 22 1,003,829 45,628

That's nice. I still don't see why we need to see ridiculous things like Hawthorn playing Geelong in rd 4 last year and not again till round 17 this year to ensure the 'big 4' (seriously the big 4 does not mean shit these days) play each other twice just about every year.

Collingwood don't get blockbuster games, their games become blockbusters because so many people show up and make the game huge.

Collingwood don't get blockbuster games, their games become blockbusters because so many people show up and make the game huge.

What are you talking about? Collingwood get favered by the fixture every year, 6 Friday night games, 4 Saturday night games and the anzac and queens birthday games. There not given blockbuster games at all.

Gavin son your reaching there. If Geelong and Hawthorn weren't up and flying they wouldn't get a "big" crowd.

Personally I'm with you guys though, I don't get why we have to play Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond twice each year.

That 60000+ Friday Game game back in 98 should have been the start of the Dogs and Roos rise to 'big 4' status. I guess there were ways to bop that on the head though from various angles.......

Gavin son your reaching there. If Geelong and Hawthorn weren't up and flying they wouldn't get a "big" crowd.

Personally I'm with you guys though, I don't get why we have to play Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond twice each year.

Seem to remember a few Carlton-Richmond games that drew in the vacinity of 30,000 in recent years.

Round 7 2006
Carlton 2.3 7.5 10.7 17.9 111
Essendon 2.3 4.6 7.11 11.12 78
Attendance: 32,976
Venue: MCG

That 60000+ Friday Game game back in 98 should have been the start of the Dogs and Roos rise to 'big 4' status. I guess there were ways to bop that on the head though from various angles.......

Again picking a year when both sides were "up."
Every other top 20 crowd attendance from that year included a "Big 4" side.

Great game that.

Round 22 1998
North Melbourne 2.3 5.4 10.8 17.11 113
Western Bulldogs 4.6 8.8 11.10 16.12 108
Att: 68,050
Venue: M.C.G.

The side that won the game, won the minor premiership

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again picking a year when both sides were "up."
Every other top 20 crowd attendance from that year included a "Big 4" side.

The same 4 clubs that dominated the prime time fixtures, I see not much has changed.

I find it funny that the club with the 4th lowest membership in the league is still considered a 'Big 4' club.

Re: Collingwood, yes they do draw quite the crowd, although Im sure their average wouldn't look as great as it currently does against other Vic clubs if they were drawn to play Carlton and Essendon at the TD instead of the MCG.

The 'draw' has an amazing way of doing that I guess :confused:

Great game that.

Round 22 1998
North Melbourne 2.3 5.4 10.8 17.11 113
Western Bulldogs 4.6 8.8 11.10 16.12 108
Att: 68,050
Venue: M.C.G.

The side that won the game, won the minor premiership
And it could still only attract 68,000? Would have been 90,000 if any combination of the big 4 was playing..

Yes Collingwood attract big crowds, and as a result, the AFL gives them the prime-time fixturing to maximize revenue.

But at some point, we need to realize that it becomes a self perpetuating system. The more prime time fixturing Collingwood gets, the more exposure they get and the more they build their brand. Meanwhile, the Kangaroos (for example) have to play second fiddle, their brand suffers, and they get less opportunity to grow their franchise.

If I am the Kangaroos, and the AFL hinted at removing funding, I would sue them for not providing equal opportunity in fixturing and hence exposure.

I find it funny that the club with the 4th lowest membership in the league is still considered a 'Big 4' club.

Re: Collingwood, yes they do draw quite the crowd, although Im sure their average wouldn't look as great as it currently does against other Vic clubs if they were drawn to play Carlton and Essendon at the TD instead of the MCG.

Maybe you find it funny, but I rekon I've already said I dont think they should play each other all the time?

Why would Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood play each other at Telstra Dome? Now your just being stupid.

Who are these clubs.

The clubs with the most money, drawing power, membership or success on the field?

Victorian or across the whole league?

Considering Hawthorn fans keep banging on about how they're now in this club I'd assume most of them would already know?

Big 4 is an outdated term. No shit. But to suggest that other teams crowds would be the same level is rubbish.

Maybe you find it funny, but I rekon I've already said I dont think they should play each other all the time?

Why would Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood play each other at Telstra Dome? Now your just being stupid.

If your comparing like for like and the reasons why some clubs dont play 'blockbusters' and others do, why not?

The Bulldogs probably draw 25,000 less then Collingwood collectively, if they played Essendon (TD), Hawthorn (Aurora) Geelong (Skilled Stadium) and Collingwood (TD) all at the MCG, they'd still draw a fewer people through the gate, but 25,000?

Like I said, its amazing how much of an 'equaliser' the 'draw' can be

The Bulldogs probably draw 20-25,000 less then Collingwood collectively, if they played Essendon (TD), Hawthorn (Aurora) Geelong (Skilled Stadium) and Collingwood (TD) all at the MCG, they'd still draw a fewer people through the gate, but 25,000?

Like I said, its amazing how much of an 'equaliser' the 'draw' can be
Now your complaining because the Bulldogs have to play Hawks in Tassie and Geelong in Geelong?

If your so determined to argue the case for the Bulldogs, Geelong and Hawthorn.
How many times have these sides averaged crowds over 35,000 for a season?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is why Collingwood get blockbuster games......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back