Those that missed out

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeremy Laidler would be shattered...one of the most versatile players in the draft...wins b&f in the TAC Premiership side and didnt get in.....Arrowsmith i think pulls out way 2 often, his descisoin making is second rate aswell

Cattapan i rekon also was a bit unlucky high possession winner week in week out, will never back out of a contest, polled votes 4 Vic Metro in his games and came 7th in it. blokes like him are constantly over looked for height and athlete's y are we leaving behind the true hard at it footballer eg Horne, Caruso , Cattapan, Hockey

Jeremy Laidler would be shattered...one of the most versatile players in the draft...wins b&f in the TAC Premiership side and didnt get in.....Arrowsmith i think pulls out way 2 often, his descisoin making is second rate aswell

Cattapan i rekon also was a bit unlucky high possession winner week in week out, will never back out of a contest, polled votes 4 Vic Metro in his games and came 7th in it. blokes like him are constantly over looked for height and athlete's y are we leaving behind the true hard at it footballer eg Horne

I agree with you on both points. Laidler looks a good prospect based on his TAC cup stats, but i admit that i have not seen him play. But averaging over 19 possessions at 80% efficiency by foot and 1.4 goals a game isn't a bad result.

Expect Horne to become a tiger via the rookie draft. He is a great footballer and had an outstanding year at Coburg. I know he is rated very highly down at the club:thumbsu:

I agree with you on both points. Laidler looks a good prospect based on his TAC cup stats, but i admit that i have not seen him play. But averaging over 19 possessions at 80% efficiency by foot and 1.4 goals a game isn't a bad result.

Expect Horne to become a tiger via the rookie draft. He is a great footballer and had an outstanding year at Coburg. I know he is rated very highly down at the club:thumbsu:

Any thoughts on Arrowsmith?? or Cattapan

Do people think Hockey and Normington will both get rookied? Surprised neither got called up, especially Hockey after his grand final game

Also Dulic wasn't taken was he? I always thought he was a pretty good chance, from what I've seen of him anyways. Comments?
I Reckon Hockey Definatly will!So should Normington!Was Very Suprised Not to here there names read out!

From the Inside Footy most likely players the following players went undrafted ( including those that did not nominate):Arrowsmith, Bellchambers, bonney, Bowden,Connelly, Croft, Curnow, Daye, De Boer, Dell Aquilla, Gaertner, Garlett, Gourdis, Grima (Alex), Hall, Hill (David), Hill Lachlan, Hockey,Joseph, Kangars, Kay, Laidler, MCGinnity, Mulligan, Murphy, Norminton, Petrenko, Sampey, Sandilands, Smouha, starling, Sullivan, Williams and Zaharakis.

Gourdis, Bongetti, Sampey, Arrowsmith, Hall, Normington, Hill, Kay, Bellchambers, Renton, Smouha, Sullivan, Connelly, Wundke, Mulligan, Joseph, McGinnitty, Hockey, Gaertner and Sandilands all overlooked!:eek::confused:
The rookie draft may well produce just as much talent as the national! Hope the doggies pick up Bellchambers, Renton or Gourdis with their fourth pick.

bongetti couldnt possibly fit into an afl side. he is an junior forward, but he wont be an afl forward. arrowsmith is too slow and how many teams want soft, slow outside players? or mopre to the point, how many hav enough already? bellchambers should have been picked up but i understand why he didnt- careless attitude which shows in his draft camp results. it would take him 6 yrs to become an afl player, maybe recruiters didnt want to risk it. joseph is not good enough and never will be.sullivan and connelly struggle at the best of times and their respective teams in the tac cup will tell you that there are better rucks in their own squads. sandilands and kay need alot of work but i believ they can be developed into afl footballers with time. the is sport is fast becoming an evolutionised game where ready made athletes jump the que in a massive way. this is apposed to the old school 'give the natural footballers a few years to become superstars'. this is why the game has so many failed draft picks over the past decade.

bongetti couldnt possibly fit into an afl side. he is an junior forward, but he wont be an afl forward. arrowsmith is too slow and how many teams want soft, slow outside players? or mopre to the point, how many hav enough already? bellchambers should have been picked up but i understand why he didnt- careless attitude which shows in his draft camp results. it would take him 6 yrs to become an afl player, maybe recruiters didnt want to risk it. joseph is not good enough and never will be.sullivan and connelly struggle at the best of times and their respective teams in the tac cup will tell you that there are better rucks in their own squads. sandilands and kay need alot of work but i believ they can be developed into afl footballers with time. the is sport is fast becoming an evolutionised game where ready made athletes jump the que in a massive way. this is apposed to the old school 'give the natural footballers a few years to become superstars'. this is why the game has so many failed draft picks over the past decade.

Tell us what you really think ;)!

Dude.

Whathehelliswrongwithyou!?

I think that Alister Neville from Coburg Tigers is unlucky to miss out would make an excellent rookie choice . what are your thoughts.

What about the 22 year old. Magery Medalist James Allen? If Taylor and Scott Thompson get drafted then this kid surely deserves an afl gig.

not sure if ur aware champ but he did have a stint on geelongs rookie list after tac cup but they got rid of him after the two years. i thought he would have at least been spoken to prior to the draft after winning the magery but no joy for the kid. prob too small, slow and his kicking could do with a bit of work...

scott thompson deserves a crack, has been holding down a key position backman role since he was 18-19 in the best country team in australia after not even being in the tac system has proved himself in the vfl well done!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Rolfe was unlucky. hes as good as motlop and has been since under 15's. possibly cos he is from the territory and doesnt have a last name

This is just an impression I'm getting, but a lot of teams have cleared out their rookie lists this year, correct?

Here's the count, total and by club for rookie draft -
Adelaide - 4
Brisbane - 2
Carlton - 4 (plus one PS Draft)
Collingwood - 1
Essendon - 3 (plus one PS Draft)
Fremantle - 4 (plus one PS Draft)
Geelong - 4
Hawthorn - 4
Kangaroos - 4
Melbourne - 4 (plus one PS Draft)
Port Adel. - 3
Richmond - 4 (plus one PS Draft)
St. Kilda - 2
Sydney - 4
West Coast - 5
Bulldogs - 3 (plus one PS Draft)

Total - 55 (+6 PS Draft)
Average - 3.4

So quite literally, there's a similar number of Pre-season and rookie spots being filled this year as there were national draft selections.

I don't pretend to know these players, but I'm mystified that someone like Gourdis is invited to the draft camp and then not selected in the ND.

The draft camp would have been the opportunity to determine if his athletic ability could overcome any perceived lack of football ability.

He stars in the 20m sprint & vertical jump at the camp and then is still not selected? If he was considered not a good enough footballer (irrespective of his athletic ability) what was he doing at the camp in the first place?

There must be more than meets the eye with the gourdis situation.

To test so well, then be invited to draft camp and not be picked up at all.

Is it attitude or failing the psyche tests but there must be something there.

There must be more than meets the eye with the gourdis situation.

To test so well, then be invited to draft camp and not be picked up at all.

Is it attitude or failing the psyche tests but there must be something there.

SUrelt there's someone on bigfooty that knows someone within ONE, just one of the 16 clubs that could help us solve this conspiracy! Also why is he training at Richmond? Can't wait till December the 7th to see an end to the Gourdis affairs:thumbsu:

Re: Unlucky not to be drafted/AFL Ready Players (rant-ish)

I really don't get it. Why would clubs pass when there are such quality players on offer. If they're not a (preferably 17) 187+ midfielder with an athletics background who can run all day, clubs seem to say piss off.

ahem

While I agree with the majority of what you say -- recruiters are certainly more tuned to looking at TAC, U18, U16 champs etc -- there are some good reasons for the preference for youth.

Firstly, regardless of age, any players drafted from outside the AFL is going to need to improve a lot to make the cut at AFL level. Putting a good 17yo into an AFL club with all the facilities and coaches and putting some muscle on him might give you the foundation to get an extra 20% improvement out of the kid.

A 23yo might be seen as already being within 5% of his best footy, and with habits and weaknesses that are more difficult to eradicate.

Also, if you've got two equally likely candidates, why not look at getting 12 years footy out of the 18yo, rather than 7 out of the 23 year old? The investment in getting them up to AFL standard is the same, so the return on investment is potentially better if you get them young.

As I said, I don't disagree with your main point, and if every recruiter knew they were getting a Davey every time, they wouldn't hesitate, but it's a numbers game, so they play the percentages most of the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Those that missed out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back