Tigers Claim a Victory over Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

I attended training today and i must say, Bachar is looking in great nick! he won quite a few contested ball and his kicking really is elite!
That left foot is a weapon!

In my write up on the training thread i said that Houli will keep alot of bomber supporters quiet this year, He is super fit, he won most of his groups trials and his body is so strong now that i dont think winning the hard ball will be an issue for him in the future!

Helbig looks quite good too, hopefully he can really make them look bad by playing good footy for us!

Nugget. You know it's traditional to end a sentence with a full stop don't you? Looks like this.
:p

I don't really believe anything any club says about trade week ("We can't believe he slipped through!!1!11"), but Essendon using picks 64 and 80 looks bad for them whether they actually wanted Helbig or not.

Essendon have really been quite amatuerish this off season.

- Sacked their coach, forcing them to payout $1mil
- Went through a sham process to announce Hird was taking over.
- Offered a reasonable deal for a player who wanted out they knock that back because they weren't going to use the pick.
- A week or so later they delist a further 2 players meaning the pick that we offered would have been quite useful.
- They then sit there and watch as we pick the kid they wanted at 48 with 47.
- Then to top it off I read the following this morning regarding Cloke: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cloke-promised-buckley-hed-stay-a-pie-20101120-181xs.html

COLLINGWOOD premiership forward Travis Cloke has revealed a mid-year promise to coach-in-waiting Nathan Buckley meant he would not quit the club.

''I wanted to stay here no matter what,'' Cloke said. ''I spoke to Bucks midway through the year when we started negotiations and I said to Bucks that I would be here when he takes over in 12 months' time.

''I wanted to stay here no matter what. It was just a matter of working out numbers and years - the fine details.

''I wanted to be part of this because I knew the club was in a great position.''

Sounds like Trav has attained some form of brain smarts, unlike his father.

Essendon have made me laugh this season, they have become more disliked (in my eyes) than Carlton & Collingwood.

It was rightfully called Windy Hill, because the people running that joint are massive blowhards.

I hate this shit.

Last time we claimed a victory over someone in trade week, it was against Hawthorn in 2004 and we all know how that worked out.

We should be content with what we got and just shut the **** up.

If I was a Hawthorn supporter I would be bumping those threads. Some real rippers in there if you want to look as to how good Tambling was going to be and how the Hawks had been lumped with Buddy.

Bachar Houli really makes up for them seeing four premierships to the one I have seen.

Feels like the days when Richmond lost, you would tell your friends that we won the little league game.

At this time of year the braggadocio of bigfooty's bloviators is rampant. In 2004 it was probably us, this off-season it's been the bombers. Next season it will be some-one else.

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

If I was a Hawthorn supporter I would be bumping those threads. Some real rippers in there if you want to look as to how good Tambling was going to be and how the Hawks had been lumped with Buddy.
I don't think this thread is about how good Helbig will be, I think its more to do with seeing another side apart from us have a horrible off season. Usually its us looking like clowns in trade week and the drafts, now that the shoe is on the other foot I don't blame out fans for having a bit of a giggle at the misfortunes of Essendon.

As for bumping threads, hopefully they also bump the ones where they said it will be great for them if we take Deledio at 1, as they'll get the better player in Richie at pick 2. Although I expect they are long forgotten and buried.

probably just mindless Age nonsense but Sheeds might snap up Neagle for the GWS, as they have the first 8 picks in the rookie draft.

that'd be an absolute pisser if Hird just wanted to send him a message and he then got drafted out from under them. that would be another player they lost for nothing.

probably just mindless Age nonsense but Sheeds might snap up Neagle for the GWS, as they have the first 8 picks in the rookie draft.

that'd be an absolute pisser if Hird just wanted to send him a message and he then got drafted out from under them. that would be another player they lost for nothing.

If true, the AFL needs to get rid of Sheedy ASAP if they want GWS to succeed. It's going to be hard enough as it is without the old crackpot getting involved in drafting.

Essendon have really been quite amatuerish this off season.

- Sacked their coach, forcing them to payout $1mil
At least they're not doing a Port Adelaide, sucking down special financial assistance at the same time. Still can't believe Port was allowed to get away with that.

- Went through a sham process to announce Hird was taking over.
Don't forget "inducing a current AFL coach to break his contract."

- Offered a reasonable deal for a player who wanted out they knock that back because they weren't going to use the pick.
- A week or so later they delist a further 2 players meaning the pick that we offered would have been quite useful.
- They then sit there and watch as we pick the kid they wanted at 48 with 47.
- Then to top it off I read the following this morning regarding Cloke: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cloke-promised-buckley-hed-stay-a-pie-20101120-181xs.html
I hate the Pies, but this is one of their great strengths: getting people to knock back better offers. So many times they've snared talent at below market rates because they've convinced them that there's no place like Collingwood. Did it twice with Buckley, once as player and once as coach.

There are a few little signs this season that players are prepared to take risks or be paid less in order to move to us, which is promising.

If true, the AFL needs to get rid of Sheedy ASAP if they want GWS to succeed. It's going to be hard enough as it is without the old crackpot getting involved in drafting.

Why i would love to see sheeds stick it up the bummers :D

Also this thread is about 1 clubs pig headedness in asking way overs for a player who aparently they dont need or rate but still demand a early 2nd rounder for.

Lets just hope that both Bachar Houli & Helbig become guns so we can talk about this for the next 10 years.

HIRD = WATSON

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See I can't win here.
I've answered this often enough, I swear. Cue people banging on about me trolling your boards or clogging up threads.

I'll do it again, I'll bold it so you can all see it.

We gambled on trying to get a higher pick, it failed; and with the benefit of 3 weeks hindsight, we lost the difference between a 3rd & 5th rd pick.

Ie, a loss but hardly end of the world you're making it out to be.

Concur.
We were pissy we missed Dean Putt once upon a time as well. Hooker's looking pretty good in comparison.

You're clubs turning into a joke, if they weren't previously.

I believe it's a thing called Karma. (and because they were such dicks, we really have Karma Sutra'd them). Where has LanceUppercut and my mate Brenno got to anyway?

me me me, i even started a thread on the main board which was taken down by the essendon mods............fancy passing up 47 and then taking someone at 64 and 80....lol

cue lance........

hai guys, so glad you're thinking of me :heart:

I don't know how many times I have to go through the concept of negotiation with you guys. Part of negotiation is sometimes you play hardball, and consequently lose the negotiation. I've never come across anyone who wins every single time, but hey... there you go. You guys got Houli for nothing, and you have a whole bunch of new players, but you're still talking about another club? You won a negotiation, well done, but it's hardly a milestone in either clubs history.

Anyway, congratulations on your draft, I reckon Conca will be a great get

I don't know how many times I have to go through the concept of negotiation with you guys. Part of negotiation is sometimes you play hardball, and consequently lose the negotiation. I've never come across anyone who wins every single time, but hey... there you go. You guys got Houli for nothing, and you have a whole bunch of new players, but you're still talking about another club? You won a negotiation, well done, but it's hardly a milestone in either clubs history.

Looks like you might have to tell the essendon football club about negotiation lance !

specially the part where if you see the other party not giving in you need too ........................ otherwise you get burnt.

Fact is Essendon managed to lose this negotiation 3 times over
Lost Houli for nothing
Missed out on Helbig
Had to use pick 80

Considering Richmond were offering a very fair pick for Houli it was a big stuff up by the Essendon higher ups. Of course it could amount to nothing in the long run but right now it looks bad no matter how you sugar coat it.

Thanks Lance. Wasn't convinced myself but his highlights package is very exciting, so I'm sold now.

Heppell looks pretty good too, great left foot and nice in the air. Only question though is on the package I saw every kick he took was on the left. Do you know if that's just because of the package or is he truly one sided?

Fact is Essendon managed to lose this negotiation 3 times over
Lost Houli for nothing
Missed out on Helbig
Had to use pick 80

Considering Richmond were offering a very fair pick for Houli it was a big stuff up by the Essendon higher ups. Of course it could amount to nothing in the long run but right now it looks bad no matter how you sugar coat it.

I'm not sugar coating anything. What you're not taking into account is why we did what we did. You can take the simplistic "pwn3ed Essendum are morons why didn't they just take the pick" line all you like, and good luck to you. But the club had outcomes they were looking to achieve that were more than just getting some compensation for losing a fringe player.

In the end it didn't work out. You guys got your man, & kept your pick. Fair play to you. But it's just part of the argy bargey. My whole line of thinking, for which I've been pilloried on here (your board, so fair enough) is that many of your posters personalised it too much, when it's really just a negotiation process.

At the end of the day, clubs act in their best interests. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Why you're all still going on about it completely dumbfounds me.

By the way, forgive me for not buying into the whole "missing out on Helbig" or whoever he is. The quote says he was "on our radar", along with I'm sure half a dozen other players. It's hardly akin to Carlton having to settle for Yarran when they really wanted Hurley ;) I'll hold on the wailing and gnashing of teeth for a little while yet on that on :cool:

Thanks Lance. Wasn't convinced myself but his highlights package is very exciting, so I'm sold now.

Heppell looks pretty good too, great left foot and nice in the air. Only question though is on the package I saw every kick he took was on the left. Do you know if that's just because of the package or is he truly one sided?

Highlights look good for Conca. It's always the way that when a player goes higher than the BF "intelligentsia" give him credit for there's a certain amount of opprobrium. But your recruiters know more than any phantom drafter on here. I seem to recall Pendlebury wasn't very highly rated, unfortunately by your guys at the time - I'm not sure if it's fact or apocryphal the story about Miller laughing at Collingwood for taking Pendles and Thomas, but the point remains.

Conca looks a tough nut that you'll end up loving is my read.

Re: Heppell, don't honestly know enough to answer your question. I don't think he's overly one sided, from what I hear his left is just that good he uses it a lot. That's what I'm liking to think, anyway :cool:

Considering we havnt won to much at all in the last 30 years, on or off the field, it probably is a milestone in our clubs history. :D

Good to see your still floating around. Just missed you that's all big guy.:thumbsu:

Considering we havnt won to much at all in the last 30 years, on or off the field, it probably is a milestone in our clubs history. :D

hehe well I guess you bent us over a little on this one. Let's hope the onfield results are different ;) :D

Cheers Lance. We certainly hope so. History suggests that Josh Caddy should be favourably compared to Bob Skilton by Round 8 next year.

hahaha the old "cursed pick 6" and "luck Rising Star pick 7" hey? :D

Let's hope not. I can't yet say Myers has broken the curse, but surely Gary Rohan can't go wrong?

Good to see your still floating around. Just missed you that's all big guy.:thumbsu:

I'll always come back & take my licks ;) :thumbsu:

hehe well I guess you bent us over a little on this one. Let's hope the onfield results are different ;) :D

hahaha the old "cursed pick 6" and "luck Rising Star pick 7" hey? :D

Let's hope not. I can't yet say Myers has broken the curse, but surely Gary Rohan can't go wrong?

I'll always come back & take my licks ;) :thumbsu:

2730168954_5606790143.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigers Claim a Victory over Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back